Rodwell

I notice today Sunderland have by mutual consent cancelled the £60,000 a week contract he was on.

He came through at Everton and looked the real deal from a young age, he was the sort of hard working midfielder we are crying out for, but like Sterling, Delph and a lot of players went for the big paycheck at Man City and barely played for 2 years. Then signed for a struggling team in Sunderland and he just has not worked out for him.

We cannot offer the salary he is on but would he be worth the risk of say £20,000 a week with a bonus if we get promoted this season or next. At his best he is a £10-20m players in today's prices and at 26 years old he is not in his prime yet.

For me I think he is worth the risk, no fee and has the quality and would fit into our new system playing one of the two holding roles.

• Haha 1

Only on Owlstalk would some genius suggest paying £20k a week to a player who's done absolutely nothing for 5 years.

i thought the OP was going to say "worth giving him a trial?"....but no, let's give him a £million a year!

Edited by Ian

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Only on Owlstalk would some genius suggest paying £20k a week to a player who's done absolutely nothing for 5 years.

i thought the OP was going to say "worth giving him a trial?"....but no, let's give him a £million a year!

But a player who will end up going to a Premier league team, we could get in on less money than Fessi, Westwood, Lees, Reach, Bannan, Hooper, Matias,  Abdi - so yes £20,000 is a lot but it isthe market we are now in.

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I notice today Sunderland have by mutual consent cancelled the £60,000 a week contract he was on.

He came through at Everton and looked the real deal from a young age, he was the sort of hard working midfielder we are crying out for, but like Sterling, Delph and a lot of players went for the big paycheck at Man City and barely played for 2 years. Then signed for a struggling team in Sunderland and he just has not worked out for him.

We cannot offer the salary he is on but would he be worth the risk of say £20,000 a week with a bonus if we get promoted this season or next. At his best he is a £10-20m players in today's prices and at 26 years old he is not in his prime yet.

For me I think he is worth the risk, no fee and has the quality and would fit into our new system playing one of the two holding roles.

Haven’t you continually chastised our owner/club for wasting money?

• Thanks 1

We haven't signed any one yet I think we are looking at two end of contract players in Holland one left back and one central midfielder.

There has been no bids for any of our injured players or unwanted players.

Reading between the lines we are looking to not pay fees. 

I don't honestly know if Rodwell is a crock and has been injured a lot of he is one of those players on silly if he plays he get extra bonuses, money etc, but I look at players such as Hutch and if he was fit and well we would not have a chance of signing him but with proper management of the player he has played over 80 games or 25+ a season he is an important player who when unfit or does not play we miss him.

With the right manager ala Jos could Rodwell become one of those players or rightly or wrongly do we not risk it because of his past baggage.

On a similar basis we would have avoided Carlos as 13 clubs in 14 years don't touch him, or our new CEO what happened at Charlton don't touch her. Maybe Rodwell needs someone to give him a chance to prove himself again.