Rodwell

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, room0035 said:

???

He's injury prone as is Hutchinson. Hutchison has still played far more in the past three seasons as have every other player you listed.

The Leroy same amonst us would like to stay clear of signing injury prone players - just because we have some doesn't mean we should sign more!

Just now, glynnb said:

Cost Sunderland £ 4,700 a minute in his time on the field and they didn't win a game for 39 consecutive  games without winning when he started. No thanks FFS

I don't think he was the reason they didn't win games thats like saying the reason we are top 2 is because fessi not playing.

Just now, RocketOwl said:

He's injury prone as is Hutchinson. Hutchison has still played far more in the past three seasons as have every other player you listed.

The Leroy same amonst us would like to stay clear of signing injury prone players - just because we have some doesn't mean we should sign more!

Rocket under Stuart Gray he took player like Rodwell and fixed them ala Loovens, Lee, Hutch.

After leaving Leeds who would have touch Lee - can you remember how poor he was against us when we beat Leeds 6-0.

Loovens for the last 10 years has had glass ankles but we managed to get game time out of him.

Hutch career was finished but through proper management he has played 25+ games a season for us.

Forget any wage would you take a player who has had injuries but has the pedigree to have played for his country that you may develop into a good player OR do you not risk it because of his injury record.

51 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I notice today Sunderland have by mutual consent cancelled the £60,000 a week contract he was on.

He came through at Everton and looked the real deal from a young age, he was the sort of hard working midfielder we are crying out for, but like Sterling, Delph and a lot of players went for the big paycheck at Man City and barely played for 2 years. Then signed for a struggling team in Sunderland and he just has not worked out for him.

We cannot offer the salary he is on but would he be worth the risk of say £20,000 a week with a bonus if we get promoted this season or next. At his best he is a £10-20m players in today's prices and at 26 years old he is not in his prime yet.

For me I think he is worth the risk, no fee and has the quality and would fit into our new system playing one of the two holding roles.

Have a word with Jos see what HE thinks

1 minute ago, wednesdayok said:

Have a word with Jos see what HE thinks

It is just an idea, could be wide of the mark, we could sign him, he could go to the premiership, Scotland or never play again.

From most of the answers we don't want to take a risk on an injured player - I understand it but some of our best players in the last 5 years are players others would not touch before we signed them.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Rocket under Stuart Gray he took player like Rodwell and fixed them ala Loovens, Lee, Hutch.

After leaving Leeds who would have touch Lee - can you remember how poor he was against us when we beat Leeds 6-0.

Loovens for the last 10 years has had glass ankles but we managed to get game time out of him.

Hutch career was finished but through proper management he has played 25+ games a season for us.

Forget any wage would you take a player who has had injuries but has the pedigree to have played for his country that you may develop into a good player OR do you not risk it because of his injury record.

What like Francis Jeffers?

Tom Lees was a regular for Leeds before we signed him. He had a bad game agaisnt us. He wanted a move that season.

Loovens was a constant fixture for Cardiff in this league for two seasons. He's never had major injury issues. 

I think you're argument is a little weak, all we talk about on this board is our injury crisis and yet you want to sign a player whose played about 18 games in 3 years? 

Hes played for a cluster of good clubs and has played for England so you're going down the Jordan Rhodes route and judging a player on past glories - looo where that has got us. 

I personally want us to sign fit, mobile and hungry players who are ready for battle and earning moves on current ability.

Seriously Rocket how have you managed to take a Jack Rodeell thread and turn it into slagging off Rhodes. That takes effort.

Onto Rodwell. I remember him at Everton. Looked quality. Since then he's had injuries and basically been terrible. Sums up what is wrong with English football to an extent with huge wages after showing glimpses of promise. Would seem he may have off the field problems too.

He is a gamble that someone will take and only time will tell if it was a good or bad decision. The only way I'd want him here isn't on a trial basis, then a short term contract if he's doing the business where we literally pay him peanuts for 6 months with the option to extend year on year. Wouldn't let the player have control. I doubt hardly any player would accept such a deal, then fine, move on.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I notice today Sunderland have by mutual consent cancelled the £60,000 a week contract he was on.

He came through at Everton and looked the real deal from a young age, he was the sort of hard working midfielder we are crying out for, but like Sterling, Delph and a lot of players went for the big paycheck at Man City and barely played for 2 years. Then signed for a struggling team in Sunderland and he just has not worked out for him.

We cannot offer the salary he is on but would he be worth the risk of say £20,000 a week with a bonus if we get promoted this season or next. At his best he is a £10-20m players in today's prices and at 26 years old he is not in his prime yet.

For me I think he is worth the risk, no fee and has the quality and would fit into our new system playing one of the two holding roles.

When as any of these 'whims' ever come off. He as always been shi*t and on 60 k a week. The worlds gone mad. I would sooner take a punt on one of the development players. Give one good reason why Wednesday should sign someone as Rodwell even if he was on 10 k a week.  

Players we signed in the last 3 season.

Bannan - reserve team player at Palace not good enough for the first team (22 games in 2 years - 1 goal)

Hooper - injury prone striker not good enough for the first team

Hutch - career finished the Stuart Gray gave him a chance

Lees - free agent Leeds didn't want him and was woeful in 6-0 thrashing and for about 18 months before Leeds got rid

Westwood - Crock, never fit 19 games in 3 years 

Based on injury records and not playing for their previous team we should not have signed any off these players but how good have they been and where we be now without these players.

Clearly no one wants Rodwell so be it, I personally think there is a player there and with the right manager on a free he would be a very good signing.

But forget it as clearly most disagree.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Only on Owlstalk would some genius suggest paying £20k a week to a player who's done absolutely nothing for 5 years.

i thought the OP was going to say "worth giving him a trial?"....but no, let's give him a £million a year!

Completely agree and just to add, I signed him on FIFA16 and he was still poo years ago.lol