Paulo Fonseca

8 hours ago, LanceKeyring said:

2/1 skybet now. Also, if he has been trying over a week that means he was trying before Carlos went.

According to a poster on here we’ve been trying to get a manager from Donetsk  since the start of December and he’s expected to be announced by the start of January

:Chansiri:

8 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

I think people are only trying to link him because he's Portugese 

I was wondering about Chansiri going for another Portuguese manager. There's a big wide world out there with lots of good managers but DC seems to be going for the same nationality. I've no objection if the guy is good enough.

I'm not worried about the number of jobs he's had, I know some people used that as a stick to beat Carlos with but it's the way it is on the Continent, we aren't much different these days with the manager turn over in this country. 

Some people will object to a foreign manager because he's not Megson.

Somebody might already have posted this but for fellow tactical geeks here is someone's interpretation of Fonseca's tactics. Basically 4-2-3-1, but I can't help but think it's CC Mark 2. It's a lengthy read but the first section on his tactics is an overview and all I could hear in my head was Hutchinson dropping in between the centre halves and the full backs pushed on.

https://theback3.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/paulo-fonseca-a-man-of-style-and-maybe-europes-next-coaching-commodity/

9 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Somebody might already have posted this but for fellow tactical geeks here is someone's interpretation of Fonseca's tactics. Basically 4-2-3-1, but I can't help but think it's CC Mark 2. It's a lengthy read but the first section on his tactics is an overview and all I could hear in my head was Hutchinson dropping in between the centre halves and the full backs pushed on.

https://theback3.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/paulo-fonseca-a-man-of-style-and-maybe-europes-next-coaching-commodity/

That sort of thing works with the right coaching

Hutch is really born for that sort of role. But could Fonseca refine CC's ideas and make it work? Even with the durge we've been served up this season, some of our quick one-two passing we've had in the midfield and attacking third has been as good as any you'll see in the top levels of football. The issue is of course that's been merely seconds out of every game. It could be personnel, poor coaching, or both that mean we can't do it consistently. 

I have to agree, he sounds like CC mark two... but if he can refine and perfect what CC started (think of first season but improved) then we're onto a winner. It's a big if though.

At the very least a 4-2-3-1 means we'd finally have the bodies needed in midfield to try the passing game, something that 4-4-2 just didn't offer us and I still believe was a fairly large reason for our poor performances

We can but see what happens over the next week or so

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

At the very least a 4-2-3-1 means we'd finally have the bodies needed in midfield to try the passing game, something that 4-4-2 just didn't offer us and I still believe was a fairly large reason for our poor performance

I think it is the absolute key factor in it.

I mean ..just say it out loud (you might have to make sure you're the only person in the room or you might look mad) but bear with me. Say these words put loud-

"We wanted to dominate possession... with less men than the opposition in the key area."

At the most basic level... to someone who doesn't even watch football it just doesn't make sense. 

58 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think it is the absolute key factor in it.

I mean ..just say it out loud (you might have to make sure you're the only person in the room or you might look mad) but bear with me. Say these words put loud-

"We wanted to dominate possession... with less men than the opposition in the key area."

At the most basic level... to someone who doesn't even watch football it just doesn't make sense. 

Pretty much, except we tried to compensate for only having two in the middle, by compromising the effectiveness of the wide players Me, I’m not a fan of 4-4-2, and would much prefer us to play 4-2-3-1, but if we were going to play 4-4-2, at least bring in the personnel to make it work

24 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Pretty much, except we tried to compensate for only having two in the middle, by compromising the effectiveness of the wide players Me, I’m not a fan of 4-4-2, and would much prefer us to play 4-2-3-1, but if we were going to play 4-4-2, at least bring in the personnel to make it work

It just fell down at the basic level really. After that you are relying on having slightly better players that  the opposition and producing a moment of magic.  

Not saying 442 can't work.  

Just not the way we wanted to play it. 

Can everyone stop saying ‘oh no not another Portuguese guy’. His nationality shouldn’t come into the conversation. Just like his religious beliefs, skin colour or bloody hair colour shouldn’t. 

If he’s the right man for the job then great, his track record looks good and other big clubs want him so for us to get him would be a statement of intent. As for ‘he wouldn’t leave a CL club’ Donetsk is a war torn city so they are based in Kiev and playing in Kharkiv, can’t be easy and maybe the timing is right? I think he would demand a transfer budget to try get PL this season so will see if chansiri has enough  to tempt him.

exciting though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I can't see how we get this guy. Shaktar are still in the CL so no way he would leave that for mid table championship team. 

The only way we will get him (if at all) is to play the long game, our season is pretty much over so run with what we have and go in for him at the end of the season.

Yet Booboo Bullen said that there'll more than likely be a new man in at the beginning of January.

The fans have given up on promotion this season, but that doesn't mean Chansiri has.

Although he'd never admit it, he must now realize that his tarrying has written the season off.

3 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The only way we will get him (if at all) is to play the long game, our season is pretty much over so run with what we have and go in for him at the end of the season.

Exactly and he will be worth the wait.

Bullen's already shown he can be relied upon.

The remainder of this season to me, is all about building for next season and the future. If we're smart we could hit the ground running for once next season.

Fonseca to me is already a more established manager than Carlos, he favours the attacking possession pressing football of Carlos' first season but he's already achieved much more than Carlos despite being much younger.

As unlikely as it seems that we get a Champions League manager, I believe we've been interested in Fonseca for a long time. It's believed we had shown interest earlier on in the season a couple of weeks after the derby? And apparently Chansiri was interested in Fonseca before he brought Carlos in? If that's true about a long term interest in Fonseca, along with the Doyen connections and Palmer, we've got a few things going in our favour that might help Chansiri get his first choice and pull off a major coup?

I hope we get him because he seems to me a exciting young European manager on the rise to the top. If we get him then Bullen will stay in charge until Shakthar exit the Champions League or until the end of the season when Fonseca's contract runs out. But if not, I still think whoever we get will be foreign and my second choice to Fonseca would be Slavisa Jokanovic, I think Jokanovic would be a good fit too because he's attack minded like Fonseca, he's already worked with a few of our players  and he knows this level well.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday