Paulo Fonseca

7 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Dont know if it's been mentioned but apparently Fonseca was a parting reccommendation from Carlos.

Is Fonseca a Doyen client? 

He has a similar managerial record to Carlos, as in he’s moved around a lot (for whatever reason). 

Obviously Portugese too. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

I've heard that Chansiri wanted Fonseca before he decided to bring in Carlos? And that there's been a long term interest. Anyone else heard the same?

That is what Matt Brown suggested on Twitter, that he was interviewed before CC but went to Braga 

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Exactly and he will be worth the wait.

Bullen's already shown he can be relied upon.

The remainder of this season to me, is all about building for next season and the future. If we're smart we could hit the ground running for once next season.

Fonseca to me is already a more established manager than Carlos, he favours the attacking possession pressing football of Carlos' first season but he's already achieved much more than Carlos despite being much younger.

As unlikely as it seems that we get a Champions League manager, I believe we've been interested in Fonseca for a long time. It's believed we had shown interest earlier on in the season a couple of weeks after the derby? And apparently Chansiri was interested in Fonseca before he brought Carlos in? If that's true about a long term interest in Fonseca, along with the Doyen connections and Palmer, we've got a few things going in our favour that might help Chansiri get his first choice and pull off a major coup?

I hope we get him because he seems to me a exciting young European manager on the rise to the top. If we get him then Bullen will stay in charge until Shakthar exit the Champions League or until the end of the season when Fonseca's contract runs out. But if not, I still think whoever we get will be foreign and my second choice to Fonseca would be Slavisa Jokanovic, I think Jokanovic would be a good fit too because he's attack minded like Fonseca, he's already worked with a few of our players  and he knows this level well.

We want to play this way but can we? We can’t change the squad a great deal so we need to get the best out of that.

Even when we had Hooper and FF up front in a pressing game we could rarely beat the more physical and ugly sides. It takes a really special team to be able to play this way against all opposition and get results. 

No doubt it will win plaudits again but will it get the results.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

That is what Matt Brown suggested on Twitter, that he was interviewed before CC but went to Braga 

Yeah, dunno if true but if it is and there seems like there was interest earlier in the season too, then maybe that long term interest and the connections with Doyen and Palmer might go in our favour, if we're lucky? 

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

We want to play this way but can we? We can’t change the squad a great deal so we need to get the best out of that.

Even when we had Hooper and FF up front in a pressing game we could rarely beat the more physical and ugly sides. It takes a really special team to be able to play this way against all opposition and get results. 

No doubt it will win plaudits again but will it get the results.

That's true, we're finding it hard to consistently play that way and it didn't help that we never brought in just the few players we needed after Wembley to play that way? But I can see the remainder of this season and the next two transfer windows being used to build for next season and the future. If we're gonna play that way more often, then we need to bring in players to suit that system and rebuild, along with a more attack minded manager.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

That's true, we're finding it hard to consistently play that way and it didn't help that we never brought in just the few players we needed after Wembley to play that way? But I can see the remainder of this season and the next two transfer windows being used to build for next season and the future. If we're gonna play that way more often, then we need to bring in players to suit that system and rebuild, along with a more attack minded manager.

It depends if we have the funds and means within FFP to do a makeover which I suspect we won’t or can’t rely on it. 

Fonseca has the potential to be a bit like Rhodes was as a signing. It’s exciting, gets everyone buzzing but whether it fits best with the reality I am not sure. I don’t know much about him, he could be amazing but the championship brings people down to earth.

Just now, Mishowl said:

Has this guy actually won anything or is he just 'in vogue'?

Genuine question because I don't know anything about him and some clubs qualify for the Champions League by default due to being a big fish in a small pond (Celtic). 

He made his name in Portugal which helped earn him a move to a rich Champions League club like Shakthar. He did well at a few unfashionable clubs in Portugal like Carlos. But I think all Carlos won was the Portuguese League Cup and got into the Europa League? Whereas Fonseca is younger and got a unfashionable Portuguese club to break into the top 3 and into the Champions League for the first time in their history. He also won the Portuguese Cup with Braga and the Portuguese Super Cup with Porto. Before all that he did well at some smaller clubs with Cup runs. All in all that brought him to the attention of bigger clubs in Europe and Shakthar took a chance on him, and they're a club like Celtic that dominate their domestic League. But it's a real achievement to have gotten them out of one of the toughest Champions League groups that included Man City and Napoli, and too date his Shakthar team are the only team to have beaten Man City this season. To me he sounds like a exciting young European manager on the rise.

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It depends if we have the funds and means within FFP to do a makeover which I suspect we won’t or can’t rely on it. 

Fonseca has the potential to be a bit like Rhodes was as a signing. It’s exciting, gets everyone buzzing but whether it fits best with the reality I am not sure. I don’t know much about him, he could be amazing but the championship brings people down to earth.

On the other hand if we got a experienced British manager in or a defensive minded manager in, whatever we do and whoever we bring in, changes are needed and we need to rebuild for next season and the future. We need to get rid of some players, give some we already got a go and bring in players to suit whatever way we play more effectively, whether we play defensive, attacking or whatever style?

8 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

He made his name in Portugal which helped earn him a move to a rich Champions League club like Shakthar. He did well at a few unfashionable clubs in Portugal like Carlos. But I think all Carlos won was the Portuguese League Cup and got into the Europa League? Whereas Fonseca is younger and got a unfashionable Portuguese club to break into the top 3 and into the Champions League for the first time in their history. He also won the Portuguese Cup with Braga and the Portuguese Super Cup with Porto. Before all that he did well at some smaller clubs with Cup runs. All in all that brought him to the attention of bigger clubs in Europe and Shakthar took a chance on him, and they're a club like Celtic that dominate their domestic League. But it's a real achievement to have gotten them out of one of the toughest Champions League groups that included Man City and Napoli, and too date his Shakthar team are the only team to have beaten Man City this season. To me he sounds like a exciting young European manager on the rise.

Sounds bit like André Billa-Boas, another Portuguese prodigy who ‘failed’ in England. Wasn’t he first spotted by Sir Bobby Robson?. Fonseca has done well with Shakhtar and for that reason I think he’ll stay.:duntmatter:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wednesday Fan said:

Sounds bit like André Billa-Boas, another Portuguese prodigy who ‘failed’ in England. Wasn’t he first spotted by Sir Bobby Robson?. Fonseca has done well with Shakhtar and for that reason I think he’ll stay.:duntmatter:

Yet Nuno Santo is taking the Championship by storm and he hasn't won anything in Portugal or anywhere else as a manager. Unlike Paulo Fonseca, who has won managerial honours and got a small Portuguese club into the Champions League and doing well in it this season too?

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

I've heard that Chansiri wanted Fonseca before he decided to bring in Carlos? And that there's been a long term interest. Anyone else heard the same?

Yes, its a Doyen thing desperately trying to hang onto business made a fortune out of CC with us and want to continue. He has to better than CC but suad needs a real shake up and move away from slow style of play which does not suit our game. Personally would not touch him with a barge pole s link between us and them needs to be broken. CC cleared out all opposition to amateur ways and we need some level headed common sense back in club.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Yet Nuno Santo is taking the Championship by storm and he hasn't won anything in Portugal or anywhere else as a manager. Unlike Paulo Fonseca, who has won managerial honours and got a small Portuguese club into the Champions League and doing well in it this season too?

Santo did well in Spain and plays fast flowing football which is different to typical Portugese managers. I do not know style Fonseca plays but do not want another Doyen manager.

43 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Has this guy actually won anything or is he just 'in vogue'?

Genuine question because I don't know anything about him and some clubs qualify for the Champions League by default due to being a big fish in a small pond (Celtic). 

No managerial record of note, be another punt.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Having Jorge Mendes and champions league players helps with that!