MESSAGE FROM THE SWFC CHAIRMAN (and he's not happy)

Mr Chansiri has made plenty of mistakes which seem to show it's all about him whilst at the same time displaying a lack of commercial nous, ergo:

1. Making reference to our history and traditions then effectively binning it with the new shirt and badge (which didn't reach the shops until 3 months into the season). We all  know he isn't a fan of stripes, so if that's really the case he shouldn't even be buying us in the first instance. Sheffield Wednesday means stripes in anyone's language.
  2. The complete mess up of our 150th anniversary. This is a huge milestone (seldom reached) for any sports club. He could have drawn on our history to arrange a prestige friendly with one of our more illustrious opponents from the past (i.e. Barca, Inter, Roma, Santos etc.). Yes it would have cost money to get them over but the opportunity for a full house at Hillsborough, TV rights, raising of the club profile, advertising etc would easily have recovered those costs and the higher club profile may well have attracted longer term sponsors.
  3. The problem with selling space in the Exec boxes (some of which would probably have been addressed by (2) above.
  4. The tie up with Doyen who aren't football people at all, but speculators
  5. The opportunity (missed) to set the running of the club up on the basis on a model where they have a Football board and a separate Commercial Board. Everything he does speaks of wanting to control everything himself.
  6. The fact that he touts himself as a successful businessman when there is zero evidence to support it.

But of course none of the ills at the club are his fault and he has now taken to blaming the fans. Shabby, very shabby and extremely worrying for our immediate future. Unless he demonstrates some humility in terms of seeking out the best advice from real football people and acting on it (and nothing in his statement suggests he will) we are in for a very bumpy ride. The fans have stepped up to the plate in record numbers and paid through the nose. They deserve better than this.

he needs someone strong to run the on-pitch side - hopefully he'll appoint someone to do this.

he needs to seriously take advice about his off-pitch commercial strategy. I quite like the fact that he's ploughing his own furrow, but i'm not convinced that it's a sustainable model. If it isn't, what's plan B?

25 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Mr Chansiri has made plenty of mistakes which seem to show it's all about him whilst at the same time displaying a lack of commercial nous, ergo:

1. Making reference to our history and traditions then effectively binning it with the new shirt and badge (which didn't reach the shops until 3 months into the season). We all  know he isn't a fan of stripes, so if that's really the case he shouldn't even be buying us in the first instance. Sheffield Wednesday means stripes in anyone's language.
  2. The complete mess up of our 150th anniversary. This is a huge milestone (seldom reached) for any sports club. He could have drawn on our history to arrange a prestige friendly with one of our more illustrious opponents from the past (i.e. Barca, Inter, Roma, Santos etc.). Yes it would have cost money to get them over but the opportunity for a full house at Hillsborough, TV rights, raising of the club profile, advertising etc would easily have recovered those costs and the higher club profile may well have attracted longer term sponsors.
  3. The problem with selling space in the Exec boxes (some of which would probably have been addressed by (2) above.
  5. The opportunity (missed) to set the running of the club up on the basis on a model where they have a Football board and a separate Commercial Board. Everything he does speaks of wanting to control everything himself.
  6. The fact that he touts himself as a successful businessman when there is zero evidence to support it.

But of course none of the ills at the club are his fault and he has now taken to blaming the fans. Shabby, very shabby and extremely worrying for our immediate future. Unless he demonstrates some humility in terms of seeking out the best advice from real football people and acting on it (and nothing in his statement suggests he will) we are in for a very bumpy ride. The fans have stepped up to the plate in record numbers and paid through the nose. They deserve better than this.

Excellent post, seeing through todays blame the fans smokescreen.

26 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Superb post mate 

I wonder if something similar to Cardiff might happen at Wednesday.

There the Far East owner changed the kit, the badge and few other odd ball things. There was odd grumble but most fan accepted it as results were good.

But as soon as results took a downturn tjere was a bit of a stand off between owner and fans.

As an olive branch to fans the club agreed to go back to blue and original badge.

To me if I was advising Chansiri would say you need to offer an olive branch now to some fans. Got new manager but might be very good PR to lower prices slightly and go back to proper stripes next season.

1 hour ago, Animis said:

he needs someone strong to run the on-pitch side - hopefully he'll appoint someone to do this.

he needs to seriously take advice about his off-pitch commercial strategy. I quite like the fact that he's ploughing his own furrow, but i'm not convinced that it's a sustainable model. If it isn't, what's plan B?

garymegson

The Wednesday family spiel is a load of rounduns. We're all a family but he charges us pretty much the highest prices in the league.

'Alright Bob I've fixed your Boiler for ya, I would charge you £200 as going rate but seen as though you're my brother and we're family and all that let's call it...well...how does £250 sound?'

Edited by Rebowl Yell
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, punkassmofo said:

Pitch - needed to be done

screen - revenue source 

Pitch advertising board - revenue source 

changing of the seats - pence in the grand scheme of things 

changing swfc for his name - sponsor ship no doubt revenue stream 

closing the exec floor - he hasn’t, they will be getting the same income for selling less boxes reducing overheads for the unused boxes fill them and they will be yep you guessed it another revenue stream 

now stop chuffing whinging like a brat and go have a chocolate or something. 

It was merely an attempt to answer someone's question  but people like you love a chance to be a reyt hard poster with your impressively street name and turn of phrase 

BUT

Bless you my son you really are a true believer of hogwash 

anyway happy Christmas 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rebowl Yell said:

The Wednesday family spiel is a load of rounduns. We're all a family but he charges us pretty much the highest prices in the league.

'Alright Bob I've fixed your Boiler for ya, I would charge you £200 as going rate but seen as though you're my brother and we're family and all that let's call it...well...how does £250 sound?'

and the greatest kick in the nads of it all is...........

fan v fan when those that couldn't afford it had to stop going as a result were ignored and classed as not being loyal to the club.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

and the greatest kick in the nads of it all is...........

fan v fan when those that couldn't afford it had to stop going as a result were ignored and classed as not being loyal to the club.

Who classed them as not loyal?  If someone says they are a Wednesday fan thats good enough for me they dont have to prove their loyality.

13 hours ago, Cheffield Waynesday said:

After reading this site for the last last  few years I can totally see where DC is coming from. I genuinely believe that the majority of fans would be happier watching league one / championship relegation battles every season if games were still £10 and shirts were £30.  Sad but true. Sadly it Pretty much sums Sheffield up these days 

Good post ... regretfully we are a bit of a down market lower working class city.

The council have got their way for decades and the malaise continues.

The good people of Sheffield who have returned them term after term have got what they wanted.

30 minutes ago, Watson said:

Who classed them as not loyal?  If someone says they are a Wednesday fan thats good enough for me they dont have to prove their loyality.

There was plenty of accusations being thrown around among the many threads that were brought up over the subject of pricing.

I share the same view as yourself but the issue has brought the very worst in a lot of people who just didn't care that others were effectively being priced out of going.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

There was plenty of accusations being thrown around among the many threads that were brought up over the subject of pricing.

I share the same view as yourself but the issue has brought the very worst in a lot of people who just didn't care that others were effectively being priced out of going.

Exactly mate, the irony of it all was the very same posters slagging L***s off for ripping off away fans then come on here to justify the highest prices in the league.

15 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I agree that some of the 'I'm all right jack' attitude from some fans to the ticket prices makes me laugh when I see WAWAW banded about.

• Like 1

Guest Copthorneowl

Read most of them.......my reaction is....

a very merry xmas to all our fans, that includes clappers, whingers, moaners, can afford it, can't afford it, Carlos outers, Carlos inners, those who plus me, those who neg me (tuggers) and anybody I've missed out plus anybody who knows me as they say to Ken Bruce.

Heres to a better 2018. UTO WAWAW?

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Bang on. Someone should email this to DC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

Read most of them.......my reaction is....

a very merry xmas to all our fans, that includes clappers, whingers, moaners, can afford it, can't afford it, Carlos outers, Carlos inners, those who plus me, those who neg me (tuggers) and anybody I've missed out plus anybody who knows me as they say to Ken Bruce.

Heres to a better 2018. UTO WAWAW?

Merry Christmas to you and yours mate UTO