Van Aaken

I don't think we should be to quick to condemn Van the man, the whole defence looks awful at the moment.

Not suggesting we should drop Tom Lees but it would be interesting to see if he makes the same mistakes alongside Loovens.

I wonder if he could play just in front of these two, instead of Jones. He covers ground very quickly with the ball, and his long range passing is very good.

Id have to largely agree, he has made some absolute howlers since hes been here, was very lucky not to be sent off on his debut, had an absolute howler against united, mistakes lead to goalscoring chances against birmingham and leeds and was bossed by madine at bolton. It couldnt have gone much worse if we are honest and hes shown little to suggest hes better than sasso who came on a free, hes certainly much weaker than him in the air. Hes still young enough to improve and hopefully adapt to this country but he needs to improve in a lot of areas and will certainly need a preseason on the weights to have a chance next season.

The bigger mistake though was venancio if he cant get in infront of pudil or van aken the guy must be absolutely dreadful. Should have bought a decent experienced lower league clogger instead who knows how to communicate to compete with van aken and give him chance to adapt.

The ball player alongside stopper Lees.

Far better than Loovens when coming forward but is getting caught out very easily...he allows Bannan to play higher up the pitch.

IMO we miss Loovens organisation and leadership and possibly why Westwood has looked uncomfortable.

I too would like to see him in a back 3 at the expense of Jones.

34 minutes ago, NYowl said:

I don't think we should be to quick to condemn Van the man, the whole defence looks awful at the moment.

Not suggesting we should drop Tom Lees but it would be interesting to see if he makes the same mistakes alongside Loovens.

I wonder if he could play just in front of these two, instead of Jones. He covers ground very quickly with the ball, and his long range passing is very good.

good point - a sitting CM who can distribute and sit in back 3 when required

To be fair to the OP...

Before JVA - 4 goals conceded in 5 matches. Equates to ~ 36 goals all season

With JVA - 10 goals in 7 matches. Equates to ~ 68 goals all season.

Crackers to draw real conclusions from 12 matches, but the OP is right that our defence has looked ropey without Loovens. I think Joost has a bright future, but right now I think we will benefit hugely by having Glenn back.

Van Aken was thrown in the deep end ,and has had to try and get up to speed with the british game quickly . He has made a few mistakes ,which he was bound to do , but has also shown he has what it takes to be a stalwart of our defence for years to come. 

Give the lad a chance 

Him behind good on the ball is a fallacy and affords him too much goodwill for his crappy defending.

Loses possession time after time after time. 

First touch isn't good enough. Takes 2 or 3 touches to really get the ball under. That's 2 or 3 too many at this level.

Not writing him off by a long stretch. But he's hardly the second coming of Bougherra.

So far I would say that we'd have had more points in the games he played if we'd had Sasso back there with Lees.

Bit harsh to put on him! We have been generally poor and it's been clear for a long time that Lees performs better when with Loovens...just a partnership that works, which is worrying considering Loovens is getting on! I do think Joost will be a great signing tho, his ball play is on another level and just needs to build that understating partnership up! Have faith!

It's clear Carlos has decided him and Lees are going to be our long term CB pairing and has decided to stick with them regardless. The question is how long does he persevere when were as leaky at the back as we are? As someone else has suggested, why hasnt he given Venancio a game? Or is that yet another player we've signed and are paying big money to that we'll never see in a Wednesday shirt?

Having only missed a couple of games this season, home and away, I'm sure that there's a player in there but I don't think we have the coaching staff to get it out of him, or the time. We needed someone who could slot in and be ready now, now next season.

It makes you wonder that if we really did look at 200 CB's how bad were the rest of them????!

6 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Going to put it out there now, the lad has to start putting in performances or I fear for his career here. I don't like to single out players especially as of late when almost the whole team have been poor but our defence has terrible this season, even before we signed Van Aken, but I feel since he's come in we've gotten worse. 

Before you all start negging me for bashing a new signing hear me out. Van Aken isn't a kid, he's 23 and played almost 100 games overseas before coming to us, he's grown up. I haven't seen one performance from him this season where I though he's looked good. Even during the Leeds game he made two shocking errors that almost resulted in Leeds goals. He's shown flashes of talent and is good with the ball at his feet but aside from that I have seen absolutely nothing about him that makes me think he's an upgrade on Sasso. Infact, Sasso (only 26) was just as good with the ball if not better, he was certainly better in the air and also had the same weaknesses, struggled with the physical side to the league and guilty of the occasional howler. 

We're being far too nice to players who simply aren't cutting it, not just Van Aken I could use other examples... but now when we have other options why aren't we making changes? Why hasn't Venacio been an option?

I fully expect Loovens to come straight back into the side when fit, or at least Hutchinson to provide abit more guidance for the core of our team that we so desperately lack when they aren't there. 

totally agree if Carlos looked at 200 centre halves before he picked this lad hate to think where he was looking

I have said many times over the last two years, Loovens is our best player and an unbelievable defender to have at this level. He could play the game at this level in slippers and keep clean sheets. A huge miss. 

van aken will be fine once the footwork issue is sorted out. That's the root of everything the op has called out. He is driving from the wrong foot too often as his first move, which means he looks either weak in the air, out of shape of the defensive line or flat footed when balls come forward either in the air or on the ground. The pace of the game here and it being more direct is likely cause and it can be fixed.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I have said many times over the last two years, Loovens is our best player and an unbelievable defender to have at this level. He could play the game at this level in slippers and keep clean sheets. A huge miss. 

van aken will be fine once the footwork issue is sorted out. That's the root of everything the op has called out. He is driving from the wrong foot too often as his first move, which means he looks either weak in the air, out of shape of the defensive line or flat footed when balls come forward either in the air or on the ground. The pace of the game here and it being more direct is likely cause and it can be fixed.

I'm impressed , going to have a look at his feet next game to see if I can notice this happen ...

I'm no football coach but in the words of my dear mother " you've got your shoes on the wrong way round lad!" (Scuffs back of head....)lol