Van Aaken

9 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Play him in the Hutch/ Jones role and put Loovens at the back 

This, doesnt look like a cb in a 2 at least, maybe on left of a 3 with an experienced loovens type in the middle.

Error prone, naive and not strong or dominant enough even for his age, looks as bad off the ball as he looks good on it. We don't need 200+ videos to spot that lol   

So if its a back 4, defensive midfield is probably his best position for now, any howlers he makes needn't be fatal with 2 cb's behind and he might offer good energy, link up play nicely and even get assists at base of a diamond.

Tbf I do sometimes think that our CB’s are hung out to dry when the midfielders are either all over the place or not tackling back. Also if the opposition have a couple of pacy wide players and our FB’s are miles up the pitch.

You see when Carlos came he didn’t really build from the back did he?

8 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

I respond to posts which are close to being spelt correctly- grammar agnostic- but learn to spell or google it FFS !!!!

You don't have to have fantastic grammar to have a good knowledge of football. The vast majority of footballers aren't particularly intelligent. I can't imagine Wayne Rooney was top of his class at school, but if you spell things wrong on a message board you automatically know nothing. People getting shot down by a 50 year old bloke who's never kicked a ball in their life. Typical Owlstalk. 

He hasn’t provided defensive stability but he’s had to be thrown in quickly due to the injury situation as people have said. Would have been ideal for him to spend a bit more time learning about championship football from the bench.

The other reality is our frailty at the back isn’t solely down to him. The whole unit has been woeful at a time when they needed to step up and help get van Aken settled into an otherwise established defence. 

31 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I'm impressed , going to have a look at his feet next game to see if I can notice this happen ...

I'm no football coach but in the words of my dear mother " you've got your shoes on the wrong way round lad!" (Scuffs back of head....)lol

I will confess i had same issues as a defender, albeit of course Sunday league stuff. I am pretty much same build as van aken ( 6 foot 5 , skinny) so you need to sort this issue out to be effective. It takes longer to get strong momentum into your body when you are taller and skinnier. Therefore your first move has to establish correct momentum. momentum i always think is key to centre back defending. Some masters of this over the years. John terry and the Portuguese guy who played with him under joses first spell at Chelsea, jap stam in his pomp, the two Tottenham centre backs at the moment.

As an example see how strong your jump is if you run say 5 forward fast strides. Then take your first stride to the side or back, then the rest of the 5 forwards and jump and see the difference. For van aken it's worse as his build means harder to get momentum or alter momentum quickly.

Simple things like stride length also made a big difference when you are built like van aken. His natural stride will be longer, again to build better momentum he may need to work on a shorter initial stride pattern.

the coaches should get Joao , nuhiu and Rhodes to alternate on the training pitch against van aken and just drill him  with stepping out, back, short and long balls, get the cameras on his feet and they can sort this out. 

All of this can be fixed. He won't have a better role model to learn from than loovens, who despite having no pace is a master of defensive footwork which at this level stands out. Once you get to the level above the forwards are quicker and stronger and that's where all the coaching in the world wont stop kane or lukaku ripping you a new one. 

• Like 1

I have read where Van Aken was highly sought after. He had a good first season in Holland but his second season was not so succesful his transfer value fell after the first season and interest waned in him. Think alot are viewing him with rose coloured spectacles and hoping for the best. His performances to date have not been solid. I was told Venancio unlikely to play for first team.

Brilliant insight there! 

Makes you wonder if he could do with some Basketball coaching too that must be similar then ?

I'm same height not so skinny anymore but was when playing football as a young un I 

Remember Ken Knighton coming to our school once to watch us play overheard him say the giraffe at the back is useless (me) 

So after game chucked my Stylo Matchmakers in the bin and headed off to Hillsborough golf course .

Few years later saw Ken Knighton playing golf with Jerry Young and Lawrie Mackenzie (ex Leeds) ...like the bloody red Arrows they were apart from Lawrie.

I walked past and told him I knew what he was doing wrong ..

Your clubs are too long Ken they need 3" taking off the shafts .

Really he said will that improve my game?

Yes I said ..when you have done this it makes you tidy, you can get the bin lid on better once you've chucked them in ..

"Can you ask Jerry for his autograph for me Ken?" (ran off at that point)

Left him for dead .......

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 1

Guest wilyfox

Deserves some slack. In the deep end. No pre-season with us, no time to familiarise. Shown some good bits and pieces already. Give him time. 

Poor spelling or not, he has a point. He's made costly mistakes in a few games now, sloppy for Forest's goal, gave the free kick away that led to Brentford's goal, got tied in a knot by Duffy and was dreadful at Bolton. Madine bullied him numerous times and his so called good distribution well his first 4 passes went into the stand. Would definitely think about Loovens or Hutch against Chris Martin or Nugent tomorrow

1 minute ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

OT RULE #347 

The one who gets crap when he's in the team is the star player when he's not in it  WTF:

Hahaha not really pal, just think we've let Sasso go and replaced him with a player who AT THE MOMENT doesn't look any better.

4 hours ago, Woodie said:

You don't have to have fantastic grammar to have a good knowledge of football. The vast majority of footballers aren't particularly intelligent. I can't imagine Wayne Rooney was top of his class at school, but if you spell things wrong on a message board you automatically know nothing. People getting shot down by a 50 year old bloke who's never kicked a ball in their life. Typical Owlstalk. 

How does someone manage to get to 50 without ever kicking a ball?  WTF:

Guest RocketOwl
13 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Going to put it out there now, the lad has to start putting in performances or I fear for his career here. I don't like to single out players especially as of late when almost the whole team have been poor but our defence has terrible this season, even before we signed Van Aken, but I feel since he's come in we've gotten worse. 

Before you all start negging me for bashing a new signing hear me out. Van Aken isn't a kid, he's 23 and played almost 100 games overseas before coming to us, he's grown up. I haven't seen one performance from him this season where I though he's looked good. Even during the Leeds game he made two shocking errors that almost resulted in Leeds goals. He's shown flashes of talent and is good with the ball at his feet but aside from that I have seen absolutely nothing about him that makes me think he's an upgrade on Sasso. Infact, Sasso (only 26) was just as good with the ball if not better, he was certainly better in the air and also had the same weaknesses, struggled with the physical side to the league and guilty of the occasional howler. 

We're being far too nice to players who simply aren't cutting it, not just Van Aken I could use other examples... but now when we have other options why aren't we making changes? Why hasn't Venacio been an option?

I fully expect Loovens to come straight back into the side when fit, or at least Hutchinson to provide abit more guidance for the core of our team that we so desperately lack when they aren't there. 

Agree 

7 hours ago, OneDavidHirst said:

It's clear Carlos has decided him and Lees are going to be our long term CB pairing and has decided to stick with them regardless. The question is how long does he persevere when were as leaky at the back as we are? As someone else has suggested, why hasnt he given Venancio a game? Or is that yet another player we've signed and are paying big money to that we'll never see in a Wednesday shirt?

Having only missed a couple of games this season, home and away, I'm sure that there's a player in there but I don't think we have the coaching staff to get it out of him, or the time. We needed someone who could slot in and be ready now, now next season.

It makes you wonder that if we really did look at 200 CB's how bad were the rest of them????!

That's he thing about needing to get promoted this season..... no time to develop good prospects. We need to win, win, win, if a player isn't up to speed he's going to cost us points while he learns, points we can't afford to drop. Nothing against Van Aken, I think he's a potential star. We have the same problem with young Hirst, no time to blood him.

We need players who can slot into the side and do a job straight away. Pity the transfer system isn't doing the business.