Van Aaken

20 hours ago, Owls2k said:

You're completely missing the mark. Van Aken has played 7 times in this country, it is going to take the guy some time to acclimatise. Comparing dutch football to the Championship is like comparing FIFA18 with PES6, FIFA18 being sludge football and PES6 being arcade-like mentalness.

Ideally he wouldn't have been thrust straight into an inconsistent side but needs must. What's far more worrying for me is that our seasoned Championship players are not performing to the right standard, his partner Tom Lees has played 130 Championship games for this club and he, along with the other more established players have been far too inconsistent this season. It is these players that should be helping players like him get used to life in the Championship, what's more worrying is Lees consistently looks like he misses the stewardship of Loovens. These seasoned pros are under performing and most seem to be bulletproof from any sort of criticism, especially compared with more recent additions. At Bolton it was Van Aken (making his 7th appearance) and Reach (a winger being played at left back who put 3 chances on a plate that were missed in the second half) getting abuse but the old guard seem to get off far more lightly. 

I think you've also got a rose-tinted memory of Sasso too, the guy never had the confidence and quality on the ball that Van Aken has shown in glimpses already this season. Add to that that Sasso came into a side full of form and confidence in both seasons when needed. Defensively, as you said Sasso was guilty of the odd error, the main one that sticks in my mind was the one at Leeds which cost us the match, but Sasso was always a short term cover option, if Van Aken can get used to this league he's going to be a big asset. 

I'm not comparing any standard of football in another country to ours.I'm just saying it's not like he's come straight out the academy and never played in big important games, big crowds, vs good opposition etc...he is an experienced defender just not in this division. People are being too soft on him and acting like he's just come from Sheffield Rangers U17's.

Agree with you there. As mentioned I for one have neglected how important Loovens has been to this side and its been a real eye opener that when he or Hutchinson aren't in the first XI how there is absolutely no leaders in the side especially from a defensive stand point. Maybe a bigger issue is how we have failed to replace our regressing, seasoned captain with a younger alternative? I actually think Reach has been one of our better players this season too, still very hit and miss defensively but going forward he's a big threat. 

Disagree. Sasso's passing range was very very good,  (although we only got to see this when Hutchinson didn't play as he would be the main ball handler from the back). VA has been guilty of similar errors only simply by luck none have led to goals so people tend to forget (regrettably one will soon). Again its a big 'IF', 'IF' he can adjust to the league we might be better. We don't need what 'IF' players, the club is so close to the PL all we need now or needed before the season started was one or two PROVEN players who will come in and deliver. Was VA worth the risk?

The lad needs to learn the nuances of defending in England, time and coaching can learn him those The lad can certainly pass and is comfortable bringing the ball out from the back which you can't teach. Personally I would rather have this scenario and hope he learns how to defend over here because if he does we have a hell of a player 

If he puts that clearance in the crowd we win 3pts

It's a shame because the raw potential looks great but he makes far too many errors, he needs proper coaching & a proper no nonsense centre half alongside him, loovens looking more & more like an old man every game unfortunately

Decent footballer but the nature of defending in this league is new to him. Attackers are quicker and he hasn’t fully adapted yet.

He is/was a decent forward thinking signing but we do lack an aggressive no nonsense type at the back. Loovens has been a good leader but it’s asking a lot of him to keep high standards week in week out at his age too.