Is Carlos Carvalhal really so hard to replace?

Guest Deleted member

Just now, darra said:

From what I've heard from people itk at Boston. Evans gets results by bullying players. That might work in the lower leagues but suspect it wouldn't in the championship. 

Agree, most of our so called stars would soon take the huff

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

I've supported Carlos so much for the majority of the last few seasons. Fell out with him after Barnsley away last season, he got me back onside by turning it round to qualify for the play offs (Hooper'sreturn a major factor) but I was massively pee'd off with how he set us up for the Huddersfield games. A 15 yr old rookie keeper away leg and not a shot on goal, and then the home debacle. The substitutions. And then following the game pointing the finger at Rhodes...

And then to this year, the dreadful dreadful games, Preston. Forestieri mismanagement, giving the impression that he'd refused to pay left wing when that wasn't true. The way we played against Utd. The Birmingham away game where he claimed we played well. And to yesterday.

The fans are now calling for his head. And still people say but yes, who could we get that's better?

Carlos had been a manager 20 years. His entire successes/honours have been

Manager

Leixões

Taça de Portugal: Runner-up 2001–02

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2002

Setúbal

Taça da Liga: 2007–08

That's it. Do we really think we can't attract a manager that knows what it means to win something? Someone with a promotion on his record?

At the moment we have a chance to rescue our season. Sadly we are fiddling while Rome is burning

Can replace him in 5 minutes but who with, how long will the adjustment period take and would a new person be any better?

Just now, pgmetcalf said:

Can replace him in 5 minutes but who with, how long will the adjustment period take and would a new person be any better?

the adjust period doesn't matter because it cant be worse than losing to the bottom of the league team who can only score goals and win matches against us

the new person cant be worse, and would find it very difficult not to be better with this squad of players

Backed him and backed him...but the last month has convinced me that he isn’t going to turn this around.

We are going backwards at an alarming rate and as it stands will do well to finish top half. Embarrassingly this division is shaping up to be one of the weakest in years too. 

As for who comes in:

Who knows. I wouldn’t say there are any outstanding candidates out of work at the moment. Personally, I’d like to see Heckingbottom come in. 

Guest everydays_wednesday

Carlos situation reminds me of an old episode of the Twilight Zone......

Burgess Meredith wishes for peace and quiet so he can follow his passion which is reading books.....there is a nuclear war and he is the only person left so goes to the library where he is in nirvana because he has all the riches he wished for....he trips and his glasses fall off and he smashes them so is destined to be the only man on earth not able to see what he has wished for.

Carlos has been around for 20 years wanting a team full of high profile players for the league they are in and he finally gets it.....he seems to have smashed his glasses and is blind to what his squad can do and how people want them to play.....Carlos now destined to be alone walking around blind to what is actually happening.

Just now, pgmetcalf said:

Remember when Dave Jones was losing the plot, and he was saying who else are you going to get, a new manager would only have the same tools to work with etc.?

And then when he got sacked, Stuart Gray had the same bunch of players but tweaked the tactics, got them playing as a team and turned things around?

• Like 1

Of course not it’s like any job, everyone is replaceable it’s just finding that person. 

Someone will push on with what we’ve already got, we can and will do better. We need a manager that’s been involved in English football and knows what it takes to get promoted. Need to get back to basics play 4-4-2 with two actual sodding wingers and use one of the best championship strikers ever instead of him letting go to waste. 

Id like us to play 3 5 2 but it ain’t going to happen, because Carlos is tactically inept and won’t change anything. I’m not sure what he sees in playing a diamond formation or 4-4-2 with zero pace because it won’t ever work.

A new manager play with what we’ve got and sign some pace and a boss man and I don’t mean go mad with money because we don’t need to, it’s time we actually improve instead of fielding the same team that’s pretty much played over the last two season and wasted so much money on players that weren’t/aren’t necessary. 

1 hour ago, owls101 said:

Unfortunately I don't think it's a simple as changing the manager.

Also need changes to the management structure, a clear plan of how we want to play and a transfer policy that supports that, and less control from DC and his mysterious 'advisors'.

Dean Smith with director of football type role overseeing/supporting would be my preference.

I make you right , said after the  Huddersfield farce, first thing for DC is to set out a clear model of what we are as a club. Personally I dont want to be a passion and badge thumping set up.I want free flowing, high energy , attacking football. That entertains, after all its clear we are going to have to pay the price. Hence I dont want Karanka who many mention. 

Who ever it is needs to  understand the expectation and be able to deal with it, Megson had his faults and was old fashioned, but he understood that part  100% and choose player who could cope with it.

Been a long night, and my three options would be   McCarthy 3rd,Laudrup 2nd, But Chris Houghton First.

Cant  be happy with the total lack of support in cash terms now they are in the top flight. Experienced at this and premier level., Plays decent football, forward thinking, been at big clubs with expectant fans.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Let's not kid ourselves. 

There are hundreds of coaches and managers (employed as well as out of work) who would walk here to manage a club of this size with the players we've got.

Tis true M'lud, imagine getting an underrperfrming WEDNESDAY squad promoted back to the Prem on your CV. It would certainly raise the stock of a manager but please not David Moyes as I feel we would falll even further from the pack. 

Edited by Owling Wolfe