Is Carlos Carvalhal really so hard to replace?

Guest Deleted member

I don't think Carlos can get any more out of this squad. Don't know why. Whether it's tactics, team spirit, management skills or coaching, he doesn't know either. We need someone to shake them up. We've got an abundance of talent that is underperforming and that's down to Carlos.

13 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I've supported Carlos so much for the majority of the last few seasons. Fell out with him after Barnsley away last season, he got me back onside by turning it round to qualify for the play offs (Hooper'sreturn a major factor) but I was massively pee'd off with how he set us up for the Huddersfield games. A 15 yr old rookie keeper away leg and not a shot on goal, and then the home debacle. The substitutions. And then following the game pointing the finger at Rhodes...

And then to this year, the dreadful dreadful games, Preston. Forestieri mismanagement, giving the impression that he'd refused to pay left wing when that wasn't true. The way we played against Utd. The Birmingham away game where he claimed we played well. And to yesterday.

The fans are now calling for his head. And still people say but yes, who could we get that's better?

Carlos had been a manager 20 years. His entire successes/honours have been

Manager

Leixões

Taça de Portugal: Runner-up 2001–02

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2002

Setúbal

Taça da Liga: 2007–08

That's it. Do we really think we can't attract a manager that knows what it means to win something? Someone with a promotion on his record?

At the moment we have a chance to rescue our season. Sadly we are fiddling while Rome is burning

All depends what type of manager the Chairman is looking for.

What criteria will he have to meet?

How will he fit into the way the Chairman runs the club?

Will he need to help us out with some makeshift training gear for the pre season tour?

Will he be happy to have a chat in the dug out 5 minutes before an important league game?

Will he be happy for the Chairman to bring his family into the changing room in a regular basis?

Will he be happy to have players signed for him?

Unfortunately I don't think it's a simple as changing the manager.

Also need changes to the management structure, a clear plan of how we want to play and a transfer policy that supports that, and less control from DC and his mysterious 'advisors'.

Dean Smith with director of football type role overseeing/supporting would be my preference.

I actually fear for us with or without Carlos. It's fair to say Carlos was a punt, nobody had a clue who he was and he'd never managed over here before and with that in mind he's been a success so far. 

Given what's happening at the club at the moment do we believe that we will bring in a proven Championship manager? Even other clubs in the Championship are currently having to take risks by employing unknown quantities in this country or taking a punt on a manager from further down the division. 

With how poor recruitment has been I do wonder who we'd bring in.

Edited by Owls2k

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

I don't think he is at all, however people like Strachan and Steve McClaren can stay well away. 

I'd take either of them tomorrow- just because they wouldn't stand for any crap and if nothing else would give a clearer picture (one way or another) of what kind of profile the manager must fit.

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

You should put this question to DC.

So quick to dispatch Gray yet CC remains immovable

Ironically I actually think Gray would get more out of these players along with a few other former manager including Megson and Laws.

1 minute ago, Libertine said:

I think an experienced head like Steve McLaren as Director of Football with a younger coach like Powell or Bullen is how we will go next. Not what I’d personally want to see but just what I can imagine happening. 

If we are going down that route I’d rather see Dean Smith or Paul Heckinbottom at the club.

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Ironically I actually think Gray would get more out of these players along with a few other former manager including Megson and Laws.

Agreed

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Pardew will be the job. There was something in that story from the summer. 

Only if the structure changes - he will want complete control and imo that is where the problem lies 

20 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Id take Bullen right now

2 of our wins have come with CC banished to the stand

I'd prefer to see Loovens given the job as temporary caretaker, while we receive applications from far and wide.