Is Carlos Carvalhal really so hard to replace?

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

I've supported Carlos so much for the majority of the last few seasons. Fell out with him after Barnsley away last season, he got me back onside by turning it round to qualify for the play offs (Hooper'sreturn a major factor) but I was massively pee'd off with how he set us up for the Huddersfield games. A 15 yr old rookie keeper away leg and not a shot on goal, and then the home debacle. The substitutions. And then following the game pointing the finger at Rhodes...

And then to this year, the dreadful dreadful games, Preston. Forestieri mismanagement, giving the impression that he'd refused to pay left wing when that wasn't true. The way we played against Utd. The Birmingham away game where he claimed we played well. And to yesterday.

The fans are now calling for his head. And still people say but yes, who could we get that's better?

Carlos had been a manager 20 years. His entire successes/honours have been

Manager

Leixões

Taça de Portugal: Runner-up 2001–02

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2002

Setúbal

Taça da Liga: 2007–08

That's it. Do we really think we can't attract a manager that knows what it means to win something? Someone with a promotion on his record?

At the moment we have a chance to rescue our season. Sadly we are fiddling while Rome is burning

2 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I would take pretty much anyone to try and revive this season. McCarthy, Pardew, Strachan, Moyes etc

We are going nowhere under CC. 

Strachan or Moyes to the end of the season would do for me.

It's not going to happen though.

Just now, Stoop said:

In all honesty I'd back 90% of football league managers to get more out of this squad than CC

Pearson

Pardew

Jokanovic (Fulham)

Dare I say it...Steve Evans, he would get us going that is for sure.

managers dont neccessarily need to be out of work to be approached!!  We are an attractive proposition these days.

think outside the box!! 

Whenever I’ve called for his head I always get somebody saying “there are no viable alternatives” from somebody who has absolutely no idea who are the viable alternatives.

Some fans are obviously happy with Carlos so how do they know we won’t go abroad again and pluck somebody out of the air like we did with Carlos? They just don’t know who is out there!!

I’d also argue that even if there is no money to spend, we would still be a very attractive club for a lot of potential managers. The club has been in the promotion mix the last 2 seasons, we have a very good squad on paper, the chairman has a track record of backing his manager and he’s been proven not to be trigger happy with hiring and firing.

There are far harder tasks in the world than finding someone who could get more out of this group of players.

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I've supported Carlos so much for the majority of the last few seasons. Fell out with him after Barnsley away last season, he got me back onside by turning it round to qualify for the play offs (Hooper'sreturn a major factor) but I was massively pee'd off with how he set us up for the Huddersfield games. A 15 yr old rookie keeper away leg and not a shot on goal, and then the home debacle. The substitutions. And then following the game pointing the finger at Rhodes...

And then to this year, the dreadful dreadful games, Preston. Forestieri mismanagement, giving the impression that he'd refused to pay left wing when that wasn't true. The way we played against Utd. The Birmingham away game where he claimed we played well. And to yesterday.

The fans are now calling for his head. And still people say but yes, who could we get that's better?

Carlos had been a manager 20 years. His entire successes/honours have been

Manager

Leixões

Taça de Portugal: Runner-up 2001–02

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: Runner-up 2002

Setúbal

Taça da Liga: 2007–08

That's it. Do we really think we can't stay a manager that knows what it means to win something? Someone with a promotion on his record?

At the moment we have a chance to rescue our season. Sadly we are fiddling while Rome is burning

This is pretty much my opinion.

I was on the fence a bit last season. Didn't believe he should get the boot but was annoyed at his immunity to criticism from some. Like you I was a bit more lenient after the run to finish 4th.

In hindsight he should have gone after the Huddersfield debacle, that was probably our best chance to get to the premiership we'll have for a long time against 2 average teams. Yet we completely bottled it.

I do like the guy and hope that he can still have his head held high and we'll remember him fondly for the good times. But the longer this goes on, the more poisonous it'll get and he'll end up more of a Dave Jones character than a Brian Laws.

There are plenty of better coaches out there but that's down to the club to find and bring in. The philosophy of football is to identify better people and if available bring in. You know someone that can set a team up to be comfortably in the play off positions, winning games at the likes of Burton, Bolton and Birmingham and not rolling over in a derby.

We're like a women in a very unhappy marriage who stays with her husband because she fears there's nobody better out there

What she needs to do is ditch that zero and get herself a hero (with a bigger custard slinger)

:stuwinky:

• Haha 8

I would love Alan Pardew but I can’t see him wanting the job in our current set up. I think we’d probably look at another head coach type appointment. Someone like Chris Powell working under Steve McLaren might be an unpopular shout but I think would be pretty effective. 

Edited by Libertine

With the available resources and squad strength any reasonably competent manager should have had us in the playoffs for the last couple of seasons.  After boring his way into them last season Carlos has clearly ran out of ideas this year and we're going backwards. Yet there are still people saying stick with him because a new manager wouldn't turn it round. I don't understand this attitude,  I really don't. Surely they don't go to games and witness the shambles we've become,  I've been to every game but one this season and frankly I've had enough, yesterday was the final straw.

These people seem to know that there are no other managers out there who could change things.  I say advertise the job and see who applies, we're a big club with a raised profile, we could be a very attractive proposition for some surprisingly big names.