U23s v QPR

8 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Knowing how DC has handled negotiations since he took over I think it's a safe assumption. Numerous posters on here have said we made a derisory offer.

How has DC handled negotiations?

I'd say Hirst Sr/his representatives  meeting with other clubs upset the club

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Depends on the context doesn't it?

Derisory in respect of what he thinks he is worth - or derisory in respect of what the club thinks is a reasonable offer for an unproven young player with no first team mileage at any level?

absolutely  scram ...seeing as we don't seem to have a problem attracting good  players then it's probably safe to assume we pay the going rate to them and no reason to think we'd be derisory with a good prospect like him ......

For me, he's done nothing in senior football. He's scored at few goals at lower level yes but the only reason I care slightly about him is because of the Hirst name.

If he's goin to try and agree a bumper contract when no one knows how he'll turn out in men's football then he, his dad and or his agent are all fools. DC is not.

A premier league team can take a punt on him but rest assured if he does nothing there or wherever he goes on loan via there he will be on the promising player scrapheap boring people down the Castle about how good he was when he was 18.

Unlike United, we are not in a position to blood someone with the huge level of expectation around Hillsborough. No chance. Brooks is doing well for the scrubs, maybe Hirst could do well here but we can't pick him ahead of Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri or even Joao and Nuhui.

If he wants to make a name for himself, go out on loan to Chessie, Donny or Rotherham and build a career the right way, none of this Billy big balls without kicking a size five football.

Glad we are staying strong and I'm disappointed in his dad for seemingly allowing it to happen.

• Like 1

Guest We Shall Overcome

Some one at the Club thinks he's not ready to be involved with the 1st team squad, i will leave you to ponder who that is, however his Father who knows a little bit about being a striker, thinks he should be involved, as the under 23's are off no use to him anymore, and believes George would be a bigger asset to have on the bench,with his pace and his eye for goal,l over some that make our bench,if this is not sorted out the loser yet again will be Sheffield Wednesday.    

2 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I didn't know Fox had been injured?  He played a couple of games earlier this season.  Have I missed something?

He got injured last year when he seemed to be beginning settling in. Just figured with our track record, he'd taken a knock or been injured this season. 

If not let's hope he impresses for the under 23s and can push his way back into the squad, I like to see the younger players improving. 

22 minutes ago, ZIMMY said:

Some one at the Club thinks he's not ready to be involved with the 1st team squad, i will leave you to ponder who that is, however his Father who knows a little bit about being a striker, thinks he should be involved, as the under 23's are off no use to him anymore, and believes George would be a bigger asset to have on the bench,with his pace and his eye for goal,l over some that make our bench,if this is not sorted out the loser yet again will be Sheffield Wednesday.    

You won't find many bigger fans of DH than me - he's one of my idols

But no way would I advocate him suggesting who he thinks should be in our squad. 

GH should have gone on loan last January and a career development plan put in place

No player should ever get to their final contracted year if a club wants to keep them. 

If the player won't accept the clubs offer then the club has to get what it can and part ways 

This situation suits nobody

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Classic Wednesday. Our first real star in years, son of a club legend, and we end up souring relations to such an extent that he now doesn't get a game and will leave next year for next to nowt. 

We're to look proper boobies if he ends up going to a PL club one day for £30 million.

:manager:

11 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Ok you know more than me as I don't know what level of payment we can expect at a tribunal.

If we had sold him we could have included a big sell on.

Can anything similar apply at a tribunal?

I'm fairly certain it can be part of the structure yes. Effectively it's a transfer fee by mediation so each side puts their case and tribunal decides it. Then depending on how long the players been developed by team, potential etc the figures / future clauses decided. 

9 hours ago, scram said:

McGugan was an established championship player

Whatever subsequently happened he was obviously going to get paid the rate reflecting that

Yeah. Im aware of that. Point i am trying to make is, if we could afford to spend that money on mcgugan weekly who didnt play, can we afford to pay it on someone who potentially could be worth a lot in the future. Its a risk but will the club take it?

10 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Yeah. Im aware of that. Point i am trying to make is, if we could afford to spend that money on mcgugan weekly who didnt play, can we afford to pay it on someone who potentially could be worth a lot in the future. Its a risk but will the club take it?

That's a good point to be fair, we'll happily throw millions away on McGugan, Emanuelson, Lachman etc but as soon as we get a promising youth assett we suddenly tighten up the purse strings. If we had some sort of consistent and logical contract and transfer policy he probably would have known where he stood and sorted it out ages ago. 

13 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

They say timing is everything in football and unfortunately George was too young and therefore missed the boat so to speak. 

Here's why go back to Stuart Grey and the Milan era George at the age of 17/18 as he is now would have been on the bench and getting vital first team experience. The goalposts for the club were very different and being skint and just heading for mid table /top half we could have afforded to blood the kids. 

The reality is now those goalposts have changed, ambitious chairman with cash to spend, good (Proven) players at this level can't get a game, so George isn't. 

The manager remit is promotion, his job and reputation is on the line, so we /Carlos simply cannot afford to lose or draw games just to give experience to youngsters. 

Say we go up this or next year it'll not change as we're going to all pressure on all concerned to stay up and consolidate, so at best loans out to lower league. 

I get all this but yet Carlos is quite happy to chuck Wildsmith and Dawson into big championship games but not promising outfield players produced by the Academy. For what Nuhiu offers these days, young Hirsty should be getting a look in from the bench. As is it always is with Wednesday, we have decent kids coming through for the first time in ages and their chances of getting a look in at first team level is next to no chance because of the strong first team squad we now have. It's never straightforward, is it?:rolleyes:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

23 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I get all this but yet Carlos is quite happy to chuck Wildsmith and Dawson into big championship games but not promising outfield players produced by the Academy. For what Nuhiu offers these days, young Hirsty should be getting a look in from the bench. As is it always is with Wednesday, we have decent kids coming through for the first time in ages and their chances of getting a look in at first team level is next to no chance because of the strong first team squad we now have. It's never straightforward, is it?:rolleyes:

Wildsmith and Dawson were 20/21 though.Would he have done the same if they were 18?