U23s v QPR

3 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

why don't matias never seem to turn out for u23s? surely he needs game time or we might as well pay him off. same with joao

Maybe dare not let matias as he'd probably keep getting t injured again and if we did need him to play and he'd get his chance he'd be out. Good player, pity he's got the body of a man made of loo roll and sticky back plastic. 

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The club is bigger than any individual, be they Managers, Coaches, Players.

George  Hirst, at 18, is only potential and as such is worth no more than any other 'Potential' player at the club.

Having been involved in football, ion one way or another, for 50 years, I have seen many superstars at 18 fail to progress any further, it is a gamble.

Wednesday should do what is best for the club, not any individual, so, in my humble opinion, they are doing every thing correctly, the only thing to do now is look after the clubs interests, so sell Hirst in January if he is still refusing to sign a new contract, just make sure the deal is better for the club.

They say timing is everything in football and unfortunately George was too young and therefore missed the boat so to speak. 

Here's why go back to Stuart Grey and the Milan era George at the age of 17/18 as he is now would have been on the bench and getting vital first team experience. The goalposts for the club were very different and being skint and just heading for mid table /top half we could have afforded to blood the kids. 

The reality is now those goalposts have changed, ambitious chairman with cash to spend, good (Proven) players at this level can't get a game, so George isn't. 

The manager remit is promotion, his job and reputation is on the line, so we /Carlos simply cannot afford to lose or draw games just to give experience to youngsters. 

Say we go up this or next year it'll not change as we're going to all pressure on all concerned to stay up and consolidate, so at best loans out to lower league. 

I'd take the money as this wont end well, don't care who's to blame or who claims to know what, it doesn't matter, no one person is bigger than this club whether it be players, managers,owners or "superfans"...

It's just going to cause disruption, bad press and leave a bad taste, sell him, wish him all the best and move on

Edited by steveger

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The approach is pretty shortsighted really

Just sign a contract, go on loan and then engineer a move in the Summer if he's not happy.

Of course, he might not cut it on loan which is the big elephant in the room here...hence why he's being advised to make the move now. 

He could get more money, more chance of first team game time or more chance of a decent loan move if he were to move to a Leicester or Everton.

Why wouldn't you go?

3 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

He could get more money, more chance of first team game time or more chance of a decent loan move if he were to move to a Leicester or Everton.

Why wouldn't you go?

Just asking but why would he get better chance of a loan move at everton or leicester? 

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm hoping morgan fox gets fit (which maybe he is now) and gets a run in the league as the season progresses Nando being out and if pudil picks up a ban or injury would be good to see reach wide left with fox behind for a few games, looking to the future. 

Genuinely thought he was beginning to find his feet a little and look (as reach is doing now) like a player who would improve and become a good solid member of the team over the next couple of seasons, he's only 23 if my memory serves and they do say defenders get better with age and later in their careers. Oh and hopefully looks capable of grabbing  some goals, remember last year's diving header. 

I didn't know Fox had been injured?  He played a couple of games earlier this season.  Have I missed something?

50 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Why wouldn't you go?

He would get nowhere near the first team of either Leicester or Everton and I really don't see how moving would somehow give him better loan options. The only reason for him to leave is if they are offering silly money.

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

He would get nowhere near the first team of either Leicester or Everton and I really don't see how moving would somehow give him better loan options. The only reason for him to leave is if they are offering silly money.

Because premier league clubs have links, the best academy prospects go to bigger clubs and many clubs go to them to ask for loans

Simple really- Hirst can get more than we're willing to pay, because wealthier clubs can afford to gamble more on his potential.

For what it's worth, I have heard that GH and his representatives have started negotiations at £15k a week, but they would take £10k. I have no idea if the person who told me that is getting it from a reliable source or not, and I'd be surprised if someone was really sharing that kind of info, but you never know -  perhaps someone a bit nearer the situation can correct me if I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Classic Wednesday. Our first real star in years, son of a club legend, and we end up souring relations to such an extent that he now doesn't get a game and will leave next year for next to nowt. 

We're to look proper boobies if he ends up going to a PL club one day for £30 million.

Sure any tribunal would insert a reasonable sell on clause.

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Simple really- Hirst can get more than we're willing to pay, because wealthier clubs can afford to gamble more on his potential.

For what it's worth, I have heard that GH and his representatives have started negotiations at £15k a week, but they would take £10k. I have no idea if the person who told me that is getting it from a reliable source or not, and I'd be surprised if someone was really sharing that kind of info, but you never know -  perhaps someone a bit nearer the situation can correct me if I'm wrong.

How much did we pay Mcgugan for long enough? 

3 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Maybe dare not let matias as he'd probably keep getting t injured again and if we did need him to play and he'd get his chance he'd be out. Good player, pity he's got the body of a man made of loo roll and sticky back plastic. 

Matias has been fit since about February , several more months than abdi or Hutchinson could dream of. I'd use him

20 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Classic Wednesday. Our first real star in years, son of a club legend, and we end up souring relations to such an extent that he now doesn't get a game and will leave next year for next to nowt. 

We're to look proper boobies if he ends up going to a PL club one day for £30 million.

Who says it's us that's 'soured relations'

5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Knowing how DC has handled negotiations since he took over I think it's a safe assumption. Numerous posters on here have said we made a derisory offer.

Depends on the context doesn't it?

Derisory in respect of what he thinks he is worth - or derisory in respect of what the club thinks is a reasonable offer for an unproven young player with no first team mileage at any level?

44 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

how come we've soured relations ....he's been offered a new deal and seems he doesn't want to know ....