U23s v QPR

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Why would he get more chance of first team game time at a premier club with all their super star players. They would buy him and send him out on loan to a championship side or first division side. They would be buying him for the future. We should have sent him on loan to a championship or first division side then everything would have been sorted. With the strikers we have it's unlikely he will get much chance of a game. Could he have gone on a 3 or 6 month loan? 

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Yes he could

No 3 month loans.  He could have only gone to a League club for the full season or until January.

would playing hirst strengthen the side ?......would having him on the bench be a better option than Rhodes & joao ?........obviously someone will mention nuhiu but if we are under the cosh hanging onto a lead away from home I know who  i'd rather have coming on and it wouldn't be hirst .........are we a good enough team that we can fight for a top 6 spot and blood youngsters like hirst at the same time  without compromising our aims ......if the answer to the  3 questions is yes then get him in on sunday .

My personal opinion is I'd be looking to try and give some of these youngsters a chance from the bench in certain games... but with the squad we have it's hard for CC to do this. Especially now with the shorter loan formats gone. An example would be Sean Clare... if he has a good loan spell at Gillingham to January then we should bring him back and he takes Butterfields place on the bench. Penney the same get him on the bench taking Fox (if he got on there) place.

But with Hirst he would be taking Rhodes Joao Forestieri Fletcher or Hoopers place. These are top forwards who would be a loss to us and a gain to most in this league unlike the players mentioned above. It's a hard one.

My thinking would be Rhodes does not suit how we play and won't score for us unless we change which under CC we won't. So maybe he should be allowed to leave which would strengthen whoever he goes too which would be a rival (as the case with Winnall) and then Hirst has a chance. But I can't see the club doing that 

5 hours ago, BIG D said:

How much do you reckon we should pay this 18 year old kid?

I dont know. But as an example we could offer a new 2 year deal on 10k a week with the proviso he goes on loan for the season. We may recoup soke money for his wages through the loan and in a season wr may get an idea on how his future is looking. 10k a week for 2 years is a million. Is that a lot today? Its a lot to me. Is it for the club?

19 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I dont know. But as an example we could offer a new 2 year deal on 10k a week with the proviso he goes on loan for the season. We may recoup soke money for his wages through the loan and in a season wr may get an idea on how his future is looking. 10k a week for 2 years is a million. Is that a lot today? Its a lot to me. Is it for the club?

Already this year a team (I think Exeter) said they dropped interest in loaning hurst when they were told they needed to cover his current wages. 

Let's assume he's on less than 10k, do you think giving him more than most proven players earn in the league below him is wise. 

Not knowing what as gone off and I'm sure no one actually does know, what is clear, if he (Hirst jnr) was up to it to start in the first 11, then I'm sure he would have been given his chance. This is down to him being David Hursts son, nothing more. Folk are on about if we could pay the likes of McGugan and co vast amounts then why not up his offer. We had no choice as the others were tied into contracts. We have a choice with Hurst jnr. He should get the going rate for a youth/development player irrespective who his father is. If he is good enough then fine, there's no evidence at this stage he can make the step up. Its all ifs and buts.

If he wants to leave then let him. We have witnessed over the years the large amount of players who have either held the club to ransom or took our eyes out with extortionate salaries. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.I would also suggest that if this would go to tribunal, then I'm sure the figure which would possibly be agreed upon would reflect the offers Wednesday have turned down from those clubs who were willing to pay a certain fee. i.e Leicester 2mil.

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Already this year a team (I think Exeter) said they dropped interest in loaning hurst when they were told they needed to cover his current wages. 

Let's assume he's on less than 10k, do you think giving him more than most proven players earn in the league below him is wise. 

Dont know. You could say the same about the premiership and the players they loan the to the championship etc.. doesnt stop them. Whats wise in football. Its all mental. I was told premiership clubs were talking of offering him 25 to 40k a week which i personally doubted. If they are offering that though i would have thought it would be done by now somehow. Loan club wouldnt have to cover all his wages just contribute. If wr held out for 100% then we are just being stupid preventing a potential asset developing.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

Not knowing what as gone off and I'm sure no one actually does know, what is clear, if he (Hirst jnr) was up to it to start in the first 11, then I'm sure he would have been given his chance. This is down to him being David Hursts son, nothing more. Folk are on about if we could pay the likes of McGugan and co vast amounts then why not up his offer. We had no choice as the others were tied into contracts. We have a choice with Hurst jnr. He should get the going rate for a youth/development player irrespective who his father is. If he is good enough then fine, there's no evidence at this stage he can make the step up. Its all ifs and buts.

If he wants to leave then let him. We have witnessed over the years the large amount of players who have either held the club to ransom or took our eyes out with extortionate salaries. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.I would also suggest that if this would go to tribunal, then I'm sure the figure which would possibly be agreed upon would reflect the offers Wednesday have turned down from those clubs who were willing to pay a certain fee. i.e Leicester 2mil.

Its all a question of risk and what the clubs appetite is. We dont appear to be so skint these days. Is it worth the club taking a punt? Either way just make a decision and get on with it. 

17 hours ago, MOwl said:

Because premier league clubs have links, the best academy prospects go to bigger clubs and many clubs go to them to ask for loans

I don't buy this at all. With his performances at England junior level he will be very much on people's radar. There would be no shortage of takers if he wanted to stay.

I very much doubt that clubs wouldn't try and loan him juts because he's not at a premier league club.

10 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I get all this but yet Carlos is quite happy to chuck Wildsmith and Dawson into big championship games but not promising outfield players produced by the Academy. For what Nuhiu offers these days, young Hirsty should be getting a look in from the bench. As is it always is with Wednesday, we have decent kids coming through for the first time in ages and their chances of getting a look in at first team level is next to no chance because of the strong first team squad we now have. It's never straightforward, is it?:rolleyes:

I can understand wildsmith, he's 3 years older around 21 now. Though personally I'd have preferred an old experienced keeper to have come in as no 2 this year and let Dawson and wildsmith go get a full season of first team football under their belts, so maybe they'll be more ready to step up if/when needed next year. 

Said it before, we are just not in a position to give him a chance in a league game, and he should go on loan.

The alternative would have been to have taken the money from Everton or Leicester , and see if they can progress him further.

At the end of the day 18 year olds do play first team football in the Premiership and Championship if they are good enough.

Maybe he just isn't showing enough to convince the coaching staff that he's a better bench option than Nuhui or Joao.

9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

So if George isnt playing for the U23's, or goong out on loan it appears or in the first team squad it begs the question what he is actually doing for his wages.....

It is not Hirst who refused to play.

We could have used this season to drive his price up a bit, but well...

Edited by malek

On 18/09/2017 at 23:12, OutspokenTom said:

For me, he's done nothing in senior football. He's scored at few goals at lower level yes but the only reason I care slightly about him is because of the Hirst name.

If he's goin to try and agree a bumper contract when no one knows how he'll turn out in men's football then he, his dad and or his agent are all fools. DC is not.

A premier league team can take a punt on him but rest assured if he does nothing there or wherever he goes on loan via there he will be on the promising player scrapheap boring people down the Castle about how good he was when he was 18.

Unlike United, we are not in a position to blood someone with the huge level of expectation around Hillsborough. No chance. Brooks is doing well for the scrubs, maybe Hirst could do well here but we can't pick him ahead of Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri or even Joao and Nuhui.

If he wants to make a name for himself, go out on loan to Chessie, Donny or Rotherham and build a career the right way, none of this Billy big balls without kicking a size five football.

Glad we are staying strong and I'm disappointed in his dad for seemingly allowing it to happen.

Yeah, we need to be careful because if a prem side is offering him what would be good first team money here, we could quite easily upset the apple cart by trying to match it.

Just goes to show it is virtually pointless trying to develop genuine talent.

Edited by Bluesteel