So do you think we will do it

3 hours ago, poite said:

Ill accept the negs in advance for this.

Personally I don't think it matters who we sign. We had easily enough quality to win the playoffs last season, we just didn't have the management in place to utilise the potential.

This season will be no different. We'll be up there but Carlos hasn't got what it takes to take us up in my opinion.

Im hoping that someone throws this post back in my face at the end of the season when we've gained promotion.  

This (almost)

Carlos has what it takes (and two years' learning in this division), but he has to deliver it.

3 hours ago, debram said:

I hope so too , as you say he struggled to utilise last seasons players, i have doubts that he has the ability to integrate and make the best of any new signings, hope i am wrong too

I'm I'm agreement, managers as with players have a level, Im worried Carlos is a championship playoff manager, but not quite good enough to get us over the line. As above I hope he can make it click this season and have a real go at top 2, my fear is 3rd/4th again and another play off as I really don't want a third season running of going out in the playoffs. 

We have had 2 seasons of progress, after years of mismanagement and fielding sub par teams. 

On paper, (further signings not taken into consideration), we have an excellent Championship squad, full of goal scorers and creative players.

Our play at times last year was so far removed from the previous season, but it was effective, up to a point.

Like many who post and have posted on here, CC imo has to have in his head, his best starting 11 in the best formation for them to go out and play. There is a fine balance between free flowing football with an attacking mentality and being defensively sound and grinding out results.

For me, I would like us to go after teams right from the off, we have shown that we have the players to play the high pressing, high tempo game, so get them on the pitch and let's have a real go at teams. Playing that way utilises the best skills and abilities of our players.

26 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm I'm agreement, managers as with players have a level, Im worried Carlos is a championship playoff manager, but not quite good enough to get us over the line. As above I hope he can make it click this season and have a real go at top 2, my fear is 3rd/4th again and another play off as I really don't want a third season running of going out in the playoffs. 

I agree with you about managers, one reason that I fancy Villa to be up around top 3 this season and don't see Derby as a top 2 side. Just hope Carlos has learned from last 2 failures and we can push for top 2 

With the correct players coming in early of course we can achieve it, but it's if we're wanting to have a good go for it.

we need to stop bringing in players very late on that won't add anything better to our team. I just hope we're not leaving it until the last min again for recruitment. If we haven't learnt anything from last season then may as well call it off. Carlos needs to do better than his previous two season, so time will tell.

Edited by Animal

4 hours ago, poite said:

Ill accept the negs in advance for this.

Personally I don't think it matters who we sign. We had easily enough quality to win the playoffs last season, we just didn't have the management in place to utilise the potential.

This season will be no different. We'll be up there but Carlos hasn't got what it takes to take us up in my opinion.

Im hoping that someone throws this post back in my face at the end of the season when we've gained promotion.  

I'm not saying you're right or wrong.

But last season we had 6 months of people on here saying we wouldn't make the play-offs.

Nobody knows the future, and football is all about opinions..

I hope that our play is on the front foot at the start of the season and we go out to achieve a top 2 finish.

If we don't, the likelihood of things going pear shaped is massive as the lack of patience amongst the fanbase will rear it's ugly head.

What I hope happened at the end of last season is that CC came out and said he wants to stay rather than being talked into another year. I hope CC has a clear plan of how we are going to play and learn from some of his mistakes in player selection.

I still feel sick to the pit of my stomach about the play off semi final when I think or talk about it. They was ours for the taking. But it evidently didn't work out like that. The negative tactics played a great part in this. 

However, Id like to think that CC has learnt from his mistakes. I get the feeling he was expecting to go. But the comment about Loovens knocking on his door and saying they all wanted him to stay. I imagine the meeting with DC that was photographed set out a plan for automatics this season. 

Here I am again with my blind optimism 

This will be the defining season for CC and several of the squad.

It's a difficult to gauge because success has to be measured by either autos or winning the plays offs, due to our last two seasons' achievements.

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Rhodes was what we needed GOALS.... we didn't supply him with service.

Abdi was what we needed.... he got played out wide.

And when the team needed "GOALS", Rhodes politely declined and tucked his hands back into the pockets of his training gear.

Almen Abdi managed 16 appearances, with half of those coming in August and September.  

According to many on here we were rubbish last season...so after finishing two paces higher with more points by being rubbish we just have to be ok to make that step up to get promoted...god knows what will happen if we are good lol 

26 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

And when the team needed "GOALS", Rhodes politely declined and tucked his hands back into the pockets of his training gear.

Almen Abdi managed 16 appearances, with half of those coming in August and September.  

Why didn't Rhodes score ?? Because we didn't give him chances. (Granted we all knew this would happen anyway)

And those appearances were mostly out wide where he doesn't play!

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

According to many on here we were rubbish last season...so after finishing two paces higher with more points by being rubbish we just have to be ok to make that step up to get promoted...god knows what will happen if we are good lol 

We'll walk the league if we're good mate. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Why didn't Rhodes score ?? Because we didn't give him chances. (Granted we all knew this would happen anyway)

I was referring to our £10 million striker that was not willing and able to make an attempt from 12 yards.

He was offered a pretty straightforward chance to score in that instance, and declined.