So do you think we will do it

John Terry went to Villa cos he didn't want to face Chelsea, so they're not getting promoted xD

Another tough season waiting but at least we're rid of Newcastle and Brighton so now the top two spots are really there for the taking... the relegated teams could all pull a last year's Villa sooner than coast thru the CC again.

7 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

I was referring to our £10 million striker that was not willing and able to make an attempt from 12 yards.

He was offered a pretty straightforward chance to score in that instance, and declined.

In the interests of full disclosure - I'll also confess than I'm decidedly not a Jordan Rhodes fan.

Not in the least.

I thought it was an eyebrow-raising panic buy at the time, but a striker who simply isn't willing or confident enough to take a penalty isn't cut out for it, and that's soured me.  

He didn't have particularly good results at Middlesboro before joining us, and I'll happily crack a beer to celebrate when I hear the news that Rhodes is leaving when the time comes.

15 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

I was referring to our £10 million striker that was not willing and able to make an attempt from 12 yards.

He was offered a pretty straightforward chance to score in that instance, and declined.

don't worry you'll still get plenty of chances to slag him off next season...don't fret

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

don't worry you'll still get plenty of chances to slag him off next season...don't fret

Call this one another instance where I hope to be proven wrong and have to eat my words...

... I just don't think it's likely.

If he even manages to put away 10 on the season I'll consider it a success - not enough to start worshipping at the Church of Rhodes by any means, but enough to stop actively wishing that he'd find the exit door.

1 minute ago, Indoor Owl said:

Call this one another instance where I hope to be proven wrong and have to eat my words...

... I just don't think it's likely.

If he even manages to put away 10 on the season I'll consider it a success - not enough to start worshipping at the Church of Rhodes by any means, but enough to stop actively wishing that he'd find the exit door.

What on Earth are you basing this on? lol 

Last season was the first in 8 years that he didn't manage to get into double figures for goals scored... it seems statistically likely that barring a long-term injury you'll be made to look like a fool. Not saying it ain't possible, but you're really not backing the historical likelihood here with your comments

A few on here would've had a change of Head Coach but the decision to stick with him however a gamble it maybe, it's less of a gamble than bringing someone else in which may well have set us back a bit.

There will be less rotation this season as I think Carlos is well aware that his job probably hinges on promotion.

The squad is strong enough for Top 6 again. It may be 2 or 3 players away from a Top 2 challenge. Bringing in more players like Boyd who know how to get promoted from this division will get us over the line this time IMO.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

50 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What on Earth are you basing this on? lol 

Last season was the first in 8 years that he didn't manage to get into double figures for goals scored... it seems statistically likely that barring a long-term injury you'll be made to look like a fool. Not saying it ain't possible, but you're really not backing the historical likelihood here with your comments

For Wednesday:  

18 appearances, in the starting XI for 14, and he managed 3 goals:  1 in a 3-0 win over Birmingham, and 2 when Norwich got pumped 5-1.

3 goals in 1292 minutes.

He'd need 60 appearances from what we've seen so far to hit 10.

If you include the portion of last year at Middlesbrough, he's 3 goals in 24 appearances.  80 games to hit 10 goals if last season's form sticks, which would be nearly two seasons if he played every game.

Colour me skeptical.

Edited by Indoor Owl

8 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

whilst at the moment I am optimistic about next season, I am slowly getting worried. Looking at the signings what other teams are making I wonder why we haven't. Villa are strongly linked with whelan and they've signed terry. And other teams of course but cba to list them all. This season is shaping up to be very tough. I don't think I can cope with another playoff. What do we all recon in. Not asking this question to get slated im asking this question for someone to help build my confidence again and point me to anything I may have missed.

We had the players to do this job last season, but Carlos  bottled it in the play offs with negative tactics. 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We had the players to do this job last season, but Carlos  bottled it in the play offs with negative tactics. 

My thought is we missed a golden opportunity last year this year I do believe it'll be a lot tougher. Before the start of last year people said it'll be tough and I didn't agree and was right who would have believe that top 6 was a shock for me anyway. This year I do think it's gunna be harder 

8 hours ago, debram said:

I hope so too , as you say he struggled to utilise last seasons players, i have doubts that he has the ability to integrate and make the best of any new signings, hope i am wrong too

My main worry is his tactical inflexibility (is that a word?) and him shoe horning his favourites into the midfield (ie. Bannan on the wing). We're too lopsided and one dimensional with Wallace being our main outlet.

Funny old game. 

I think the squad depth is excellent and should ensure top 6 For all that other clubs have some better stand out players (e.g. Cairney) you have to wonder what happens if they get injured.

To get automatic though we need to go on a winning/ unbeaten run of the kind that opens up a gap on the chasing pack. That happened towards the end of last season when with Brighton/ Burnley/ Boro  like efficiency we ground out results. 

And there's the problem.  We want results AND style. Signing Boyd rather than keeping McManaman or McGeady or playing Matias is a signal of Carlos' intent.

28 Clenched bottom victories should do it but it wont be pretty. 

18 minutes ago, TheRedanator said:

My main worry is his tactical inflexibility (is that a word?) and him shoe horning his favourites into the midfield (ie. Bannan on the wing). We're too lopsided and one dimensional with Wallace being our main outlet.

Barry Bannan has played more than twice as many games out wide than in midfield in the PL for Villa and Crystal Palace.

If anything, it's this notion that he's only a central player and can't cut it out wide in the Championship that's completely out to lunch.

I agree he's better in the middle of the field, but he does just fine on the wing, and that's where he has played the majority of his games.

Edited by Indoor Owl

With Bannan out wide we're essentially playing three central midfielders with Wallace or Reach being our only genuine winger. It either puts an over reliance on the full backs to bomb forward and create width or we end up playing long balls to Wallace or the forwards and it becomes too easy for the opposition to defend against, hence we struggle to break teams down.

Should be a lot easier this year, none  of the teams are as good as Brighton or Newcastle, and only Boro of the relegated ones look dangerous. There aren't any teams where overall, I can look at them and say "They are better than us, I'd swap their first 11/squad for ours"

1 hour ago, TheRedanator said:

Yep, how much better could we be getting the right balance, playing players in their best positions, cc sometimes sacrifices this for the worst, maybe he has learnt from last seasons mistakes, hope so, would love him to take us up.

If we keep a hold of our best players and sign a solid ball playing centre back with good heading ability; a pacy attacking full back and a dynamic pacy winger. Then I think we will do it. We have got almost all a top 2 side needs, just gotta go out and get those three quality missing pieces of the jigsaw. And my feeling is that we will bring in what we need and we will have enough about us this time to get over the line.

personally think we lost the chance of automatics when Carlos signed a new contract.

the man is stubborn and will play his favourites regardless who we sign.

playoffs at best for us next season

boyd is a decent signing but again over 30,lacks pace.

too much money wasted and rubbish tactics