So do you think we will do it

6 hours ago, Animal said:

Nope, I think we will just scrape the playoffs because I just can't see us recruiting players in the areas we need to improve. 

At the very most we need 4 or 5 players. Upto 4 quality first teamers and we would have a great shout for top 2. Even if we don't bring in anyone else but hold onto all of our best players, we would still have a decent chance I believe because stability and experience will be our advantage. We don't need many players, other teams are throwing money at it but have to make lots of changes and replace players and managers, and gel as a team. Not all of those teams will be as strong as they may look on paper.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday

Personally, I think we'll make playoffs again. Top two is a tall order and although I love the guy, I don't think Carlos is bold enough to truly go for it as we saw in playoff semi's. Boro and Villa for me.

I know I'm in the minority here but I genuinely believe that last season was a bigger achievement than Carlos' first year in charge. 

The first season was all well and good but we were an unknown quantity, going under the radar and teams largely played into our hands. When we played the top teams we got found out and it showed how far we still had to go to turn ourselves into automatic contenders.

Last season wasn't pretty at times but for me it was a transitional year as we moved from outsiders and underdogs to one of the leagues top teams. That is not an easy transition to make and to get results when teams know your style and set up to stifle you is not something that is easy to achieve. We weren't the only side who found this tough, even Newcastle with arguably the championships best ever side lost their fair share to teams sitting deep and frustrating them. For me to achieve more points and a better league position despite those added challenges (not forgetting long injuries to key players) shows we are on the right track.

I know people want success and want it now and think that chucking a few quid at it guarantees promotion but unfortunately its not usually that simple. Stability and gradual improvement gives you the greatest chance of success.

I do think that people will be surprised at how well we do this year. I think a year's experience of having the pressure of being expected to win and to have teams setting up to stop you from playing will really help our players this time around. I know Carlos isn't perfect at times and our low risk approach can be frustrating at times. But ultimately we aren't far away and with another 3 or 4 quality additions and a bit of luck I think we will be right there.

Guest everydays_wednesday
On 05/07/2017 at 09:03, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

We'll be up by Xmas.

Which one :-)

wouldn't like to say at this time, it depends whether last seasons CC turns up this season, if he does then I don't think we will make the top 6. however as he is the manager I would like to wit until the end of September to decide what chance we have.

Guest The Horse

I think we'll do it.
Top two.
Very settled squad who all know each other now and how to play to each other's strengths.
No major upheaval means we have the same blueprint as Brighton did last year. Can see us being disciplined, very focused and extremely hard to beat. I can't see us losing many at all.
Unlock the embarrassment of striking riches we have up front and we'll be there.

There isn't a Newcastle or a Brighton in this years Championship, however there are a few Huddersfields including us, this is a good season to sneak into an automatic place without having a super points tally. I fancy us completing a few doubles and being a fortress at home, I'm  far more confident of us finishing above all three side relegated from the premiership, it's us and Reading in either order for me. 

22 hours ago, I Love Sturrock said:

I desperately want to be wrong because he's one of the most honourable men in football, but Carlos will never get us promoted.

I came to that conclusion after the 2-0 away to Derby last October, and I've seen nothing to change my mind since.

Completely agree

If we improve points wise as we did last year we'll be near anyway...ive no reason to doubt that will happen...a few less injuries too to key players to give a more settled look to the side and we'll be in with a definate shout...a c/back and one other defender and we're pretty much there for me...Boyd will make a hell of a difference for us breaking forward!!

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We could do it, but I suspect we'd need to bore our way to the Premier League. It ain't pretty, but it's effective, and with a years experience of playing that way, we might be better at it

Why do we "need to bore our way" there?

With exciting forwards like FF, Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Boyd and Wallace.

With exciting and creative midfielders like Bannan and Abdi.

With overlapping fullbacks like Hunt, Pudil and Reach.

Carlos might well see solid and boring as the best way to get us up, but with our squad he has a very viable option to try to get us up playing swashbuckling football. Personally I think we are a far better side when we play on the front foot. I'm convinced we have what it takes to be this season's Newcastle, but only if we are allowed to play with elan and freedom.