So do you think we will do it

It's gonna depend on two things

-Recruiting energy and in a manner that gives greater scope beyond what we've already got. Ie... enough 'experience', let's get some younger legs in on permanent transfers so they're going to be hungry and commited to the cause. Equally they need to largely offer a different dynamic to what we currently have. For example... tough tackling central (defensive) midfielder with bulk, pace on the wings, a CB who can distribute the ball comfortably if possible etc

-Carlos stops being so inflexible. That means dropping favourites if they're out of form, going back to a higher pressing game with more emphasis on creating chances and scoring goals

If both of these things happen, I literally can't see us not finishing top 2. If either one of them doesn't come to fruition, I can see it being another season where we finish high up the table, but many of the Hillsborough faithful are left frustrated again

49 minutes ago, poite said:

Ill accept the negs in advance for this.

Personally I don't think it matters who we sign. We had easily enough quality to win the playoffs last season, we just didn't have the management in place to utilise the potential.

This season will be no different. We'll be up there but Carlos hasn't got what it takes to take us up in my opinion.

Im hoping that someone throws this post back in my face at the end of the season when we've gained promotion.  

Nail on the head. I can't see Carlos taking us up, this was the year and with the team we had there was no excuses and we blew it.

This year whilst there is no standout favourites I do think it will be a tougher tighter league.

Trust me I will eat the biggest slice of himble pie known to man if I'm proved wrong. 

I have my doubts whether we'll get into the playoffs at all, you can count on one hand the good performances we put in, we will end up with the same midfield as last season no bite and has for fast wingers where are we going to get one from. When you look at what the other teams are doing splashing the cash it's going to be a interesting league next season, look at the quality centre halves that have been snapped up so far, we all know that we need to bring in at least 4 more players when is this going to happen

Make no bones about it Aug - Nov is huge for Carlos....................if we see a repeat of the same sort of safety first home performances as last season, in particular all those mind numbing soporific first halves then it could all end in tears.

Carlos needs to be less stubborn and more flexible both tactically and with his team selections...............IF he is then we have the quality to be challenging for auto.

1 hour ago, abdiwonderland said:

Pick the team you think will be nailed on for promotion then compare our starting eleven to theirs. I think we are easily a top 3/4 team. We just have to prove it. That's the hard part. 

If we did this last year we would have said we're we're top 2 IMO. Doesn't always work out like that tho as you say that's the hard part 

Wouldn't worry too much about recruitment yet. Other teams seem to be filling more spaces than we want to/need to. 

CC said he wanted 4-5 players that will really improve the starting line up. Or something along those lines. 

We dont need/want wholesale changes. We've brought in Boyd who for me is an excellent signing with experience of getting out of this league. We've been linked with Bartley and Snodgrass. Don't know if there's anything in these but if we can bring these two in or two very similar. Then that's excellent business and would see us making a credible effort and making the top two. 

Thats only three players (if they come in). Add another one or two with similar quality then we're in an excellent position for top two. Even if we don't make top two. I feel that we could do the play offs as well. 

Blind optimism? 

1 hour ago, poite said:

Personally I don't think it matters who we sign. We had easily enough quality to win the playoffs last season, we just didn't have the management in place to utilise the potential.

This season will be no different. We'll be up there but Carlos hasn't got what it takes to take us up in my opinion.

Im hoping that someone throws this post back in my face at the end of the season when we've gained promotion.  

This is a great post.

People all going on about what we need, we had it last year, McManaman was exactly what we needed... he didn't play.

Rhodes was what we needed GOALS.... we didn't supply him with service.

Abdi was what we needed.... he got played out wide.

I like Carlos but the more and more the summer goes on the more I think it will be more of the same this year, with the eventual disappointment at the end. 

Hope im wrong.

15 minutes ago, Barnwood62 said:

I have my doubts whether we'll get into the playoffs at all, you can count on one hand the good performances we put in, we will end up with the same midfield as last season no bite and has for fast wingers where are we going to get one from. When you look at what the other teams are doing splashing the cash it's going to be a interesting league next season, look at the quality centre halves that have been snapped up so far, we all know that we need to bring in at least 4 more players when is this going to happen

So two seasons running we've made the playoffs............a third season approaching,surely you'd think we'll be up there again ?

The performances put in,good,bad or indifferent,count for nothing,because that was last season.

There are no signings made by other teams yet that have made me think "wow" they've signed a cracker.

I'd let transfers to/from swfc happen when they do,no need/point worrying/fretting about it,they'll happen when we/they are ready.

UTO.

1 hour ago, poite said:

I too share this fear

100% hope I'm proved wrong next may tho

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

Make no bones about it Aug - Nov is huge for Carlos....................if we see a repeat of the same sort of safety first home performances as last season, in particular all those mind numbing soporific first halves then it could all end in tears.

Carlos needs to be less stubborn and more flexible both tactically and with his team selections...............IF he is then we have the quality to be challenging for auto.

Agree with this

It is absolutely imperative that we have a good start! One of the ironies of the safety first strategy Carlos implemented last season, was that just such a style has got many teams promoted in the past... It's just no good when you are already 12 points behind the automatic spots!!

I don't think the squad nor the fanbase has the stomach for another season like the last one. We really need to start on the front foot.

2 hours ago, poite said:

Yes. Said this last season, hope we're wrong.

Need to find a way of getting the best out of Forestieri and Rhodes in the same team  if we are to challenge for the top 2. Less rotation for the sake of it. Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley, Middlesbrough all in recent years haven't had oversized squads and all have gone up. 

If we play like we played last season then no we wont, we'll be in the playoffs or thereabouts but wont have enough to get over the line. Start of the season is massive....for us as supporters and carlos as regards his job. Take no joy in that but thats football today.

3 hours ago, poite said:

Exactly this . The players are (mostly) in place for a serious go at the top 2 but we dont have the management in place to get us over the line. 

We'll definitely have the players for automatic promotion.  Look at our top quartet of strikers - ridiculous quality and depth for this level.  

Add a few more quality defenders and midfielders to what we already have and it's the best and most settled squad in the league. 

However last season told me that we don't have the manager.  Too negative, too rigid, and too tied to his favourites.  

Now of course I want to be wrong but I just can't get those disastrous and insipid play off performances vs Hudders out of my mind.

If we line up in a surprising 4-2-3-1 to start the season with Abdi pulling the strings in the hole behind the striker then I'll be excited. 

But if it's a 4-4-2 with Reach on the left and Bannan in the middle I'll just assume we'll get the same results - about 5th or 6th.

Edited by Owl_in_Oz

I think if we're off the pace by December Chansiri will do the right thing. If that is the case I hope he goes before Forestieri does as with the right manager we've got the best attacking mid in the league. The formation doesn't fit the players we have and he's not budged an inch which is the worrying thing.

Edited by TrueOwl

Guest ka58

I think this season will be much the same as the last two but hopefully we'll have a bit of luck in the playoffs this time round.