So do you think we will do it

On 7/5/2017 at 09:09, poite said:

Ill accept the negs in advance for this.

Personally I don't think it matters who we sign. We had easily enough quality to win the playoffs last season, we just didn't have the management in place to utilise the potential.

This season will be no different. We'll be up there but Carlos hasn't got what it takes to take us up in my opinion.

Im hoping that someone throws this post back in my face at the end of the season when we've gained promotion.  

This. It's more a case of the tactics that were deployed last season. Carlos is the one who trains and sets the team up after all.

Carlos was too arrogant changing a positive style of play to slow, turgid performances and I see no reason why he won't be any different this time around. I'm not confident he'll have the nous to get one over Wilder in the derbies.

We need a squad to get us to be favourites for top 2 come the end of August. The problem is I don't trust Carlos and how he'll utilise that. £20m+ spent last season and we didn't look any better.

4 hours ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

personally think we lost the chance of automatics when Carlos signed a new contract.

the man is stubborn and will play his favourites regardless who we sign.

playoffs at best for us next season

boyd is a decent signing but again over 30,lacks pace.

too much money wasted and rubbish tactics

Just because hes over 30 doesnt mean he lacks pace. 

I genuinely think we will do it this year. I'm not saying it will be easy but I think the squad we have is right up there with the best this division has to offer. I was fairly confidant last season but there was always that nagging feeling that Newcastle were just too strong that they would inevitably take one of the two automatics and Brighton were just driven solely on the disappointment of what we did to them the previous season. We were unfortunate in the play offs, losing Hooper for those 2 games was a massive blow. Losing Wallace 5 minutes into the semi at Hillsborough was another huge blow. I know some people like this idea that we bottled it or Carlos f*cked up but the fact is we lost on a shootout which is a lottery. We've got the squad apart from a couple of centre halves and maybe another winger, we've got the manager who's proven his qualities in adapting to this league over the last 2 years. We know the chairman will back him, not just financially but simply in the fact he kept him here when it would have been easy for him to sack Carlos and bring someone else in. We know what can happen when the team gets a bit of momentum behind it, all I'd say to the people who aren't as convinced by Carlos and whoever else is see who we bring in, see where we are after 10 games or so, see how the division is shaping up. If it isn't going great then moan but let's at least give them a chance.

26 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I genuinely think we will do it this year. I'm not saying it will be easy but I think the squad we have is right up there with the best this division has to offer. I was fairly confidant last season but there was always that nagging feeling that Newcastle were just too strong that they would inevitably take one of the two automatics and Brighton were just driven solely on the disappointment of what we did to them the previous season. We were unfortunate in the play offs, losing Hooper for those 2 games was a massive blow. Losing Wallace 5 minutes into the semi at Hillsborough was another huge blow. I know some people like this idea that we bottled it or Carlos f*cked up but the fact is we lost on a shootout which is a lottery. We've got the squad apart from a couple of centre halves and maybe another winger, we've got the manager who's proven his qualities in adapting to this league over the last 2 years. We know the chairman will back him, not just financially but simply in the fact he kept him here when it would have been easy for him to sack Carlos and bring someone else in. We know what can happen when the team gets a bit of momentum behind it, all I'd say to the people who aren't as convinced by Carlos and whoever else is see who we bring in, see where we are after 10 games or so, see how the division is shaping up. If it isn't going great then moan but let's at least give them a chance.

With all due respect and this is not a dig at you personally but how due you expect people to feel.

We got done by an inferior Huddersfield team that couldn't score a goal against us in 4 games plus extra time, they didn't manage a goal in the play offs and are the only team to have been promoted with a minus goal difference, quite rightly people should ask questions of Carlos. Having said that he is our manager and I will back him, I just hope he has learnt lessons from last season, He will be under pressure from the word go this year, not just from the fans but from the people upstairs and rightly so, he has the squad, he has the backing, he has no excuses this time round.

Just now, Blue and white said:

With all due respect and this is not a dig at you personally but how due you expect people to feel.

We got done by an inferior Huddersfield team that couldn't score a goal against us in 4 games plus extra time, they didn't manage a goal in the play offs and are the only team to have been promoted with a minus goal difference, quite rightly people should ask questions of Carlos. Having said that he is our manager and I will back him, I just hope he has learnt lessons from last season, He will be under pressure from the word go this year, not just from the fans but from the people upstairs and rightly so, he has the squad, he has the backing, he has no excuses this time round.

It's not just the play offs though, I knew as soon as Fessi's penalty was saved what the reaction would be to that. The season as a whole I felt certain sections of the fan base were to quick to jump on Carlos and the players. If we lost or drew games people would come on here or twitter or Radio Sheffield and go on like it's the worst team they've ever seen and if anyone pointed out that we'd been unlucky or it wasn't as bad as they were making out then they were called a 'happy clapper'. As early as the Leeds game at home there were people calling for his head which was nonsense. I don't deny Carlos will be under pressure, of course he will. I think we all know top 2 has to be the aim that doesn't mean if we finish 3rd and win the play offs I'll be disappointed. I think sometimes people don't take the time to analyse the situation which leads to the split in the fan base from time to time.

1 minute ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

It's not just the play offs though, I knew as soon as Fessi's penalty was saved what the reaction would be to that. The season as a whole I felt certain sections of the fan base were to quick to jump on Carlos and the players. If we lost or drew games people would come on here or twitter or Radio Sheffield and go on like it's the worst team they've ever seen and if anyone pointed out that we'd been unlucky or it wasn't as bad as they were making out then they were called a 'happy clapper'. As early as the Leeds game at home there were people calling for his head which was nonsense. I don't deny Carlos will be under pressure, of course he will. I think we all know top 2 has to be the aim that doesn't mean if we finish 3rd and win the play offs I'll be disappointed. I think sometimes people don't take the time to analyse the situation which leads to the split in the fan base from time to time.

For me it was a season of 2 halfs, the first was the trugid, awful football, no balance and shoehorning players into the team. The second was much better, more balanced and had us top of the form table for the second half of the season.

My major gripe is why did he revert back to something that didn't work at the expense of a WINNING formula, it makes no sense and the biggest fuckup in the Chansiri era was the clueless decision to bring on Dave and not Winnall.

Like I say I will back him because he is our manager, will he get us up, I doubt it, will I eat humble pie if he does, you bet.

Just now, Blue and white said:

For me it was a season of 2 halfs, the first was the trugid, awful football, no balance and shoehorning players into the team. The second was much better, more balanced and had us top of the form table for the second half of the season.

My major gripe is why did he revert back to something that didn't work at the expense of a WINNING formula, it makes no sense and the biggest fuckup in the Chansiri era was the clueless decision to bring on Dave and not Winnall.

Like I say I will back him because he is our manager, will he get us up, I doubt it, will I eat humble pie if he does, you bet.

But that is also down to how other teams set up, Brentford, Reading, Cardiff and Burton all came to sit back and frustrate. Sometimes you have to play them at their own game. Statistically Carlos got it bang on, we finished higher in the division, we got more points. One point I think that is missed is the absence of Hooper and Lee. Both do similar jobs in different areas of the pitch and are crucial to us and losing them in my opinion cost us more than the style of play itself.

4 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

But that is also down to how other teams set up, Brentford, Reading, Cardiff and Burton all came to sit back and frustrate. Sometimes you have to play them at their own game. Statistically Carlos got it bang on, we finished higher in the division, we got more points. One point I think that is missed is the absence of Hooper and Lee. Both do similar jobs in different areas of the pitch and are crucial to us and losing them in my opinion cost us more than the style of play itself.

Got to disagree. I think Brentford and reading probably were going to sit back to a degree until they realised that we, the home side were parked in our own box. Those two games were the most poor tactically I've ever seen us. 

As for burton , yes they really did park the box I agree. Having said that when you have spend the money we have hand picking a side, we/Carlos really should have an answer for that .

On 5 July 2017 at 12:14, Owl_in_Oz said:

We'll definitely have the players for automatic promotion.  Look at our top quartet of strikers - ridiculous quality and depth for this level.  

Add a few more quality defenders and midfielders to what we already have and it's the best and most settled squad in the league. 

However last season told me that we don't have the manager.  Too negative, too rigid, and too tied to his favourites.  

Now of course I want to be wrong but I just can't get those disastrous and insipid play off performances vs Hudders out of my mind.

If we line up in a surprising 4-2-3-1 to start the season with Abdi pulling the strings in the hole behind the striker then I'll be excited. 

But if it's a 4-4-2 with Reach on the left and Bannan in the middle I'll just assume we'll get the same results - about 5th or 6th.

If we get the same results we got last season playing 442 with Reach or FF left and Bannan central we finish top. 

It was the results playing with Bannan, Lee or Abdi wide that scuttled our league season, then surrendered the semi.

And which of our strikers do you see playing the lone-striker role? 

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If we get the same results we got last season playing 442 with Reach or FF left and Bannan central we finish top. 

It was the results playing with Bannan, Lee or Abdi wide that scuttled our league season, then surrendered the semi.

And which of our strikers do you see playing the lone-striker role? 

In other words shoehorning.

On 5 July 2017 at 10:50, sheriwozgod said:

Make no bones about it Aug - Nov is huge for Carlos....................if we see a repeat of the same sort of safety first home performances as last season, in particular all those mind numbing soporific first halves then it could all end in tears.

Carlos needs to be less stubborn and more flexible both tactically and with his team selections...............IF he is then we have the quality to be challenging for auto.

Pretty much my opinion too.

Carlos started the 16/17 season a huge fan favourite, so protected him from too much flack for the dire stuff served up early season.

This year its different. In the poll on here roughly 1/3 wanted him out, 2/3 wanted him to stay, but of the latter nearly everyone added "but must change his approach" or something similar. 

We need a much better start than the last two seasons to ensure we are not off the pace again. But also to keep the fans patient with Carlos. 

I also think it highly likely that to get promotion we need a top two place. I think Carlos just about has what it takes to get us up over 46 games, but not through the play-offs where he is too fearful and therefore way too cautious.

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

In other words shoehorning.

Exactly.

I think I am in the minority that thinks our squad was already good enough. 

Butchering a famous quote to Andrew Preview, we had all the right players, just not necessarily in the right positions.

I honestly dont care what the score was at halftime, its what the score was at full time that counted.

I want to see goals and walk away from hillsbrough with that winning glow, knowing we can match anything in that league, not worrying if we played like barca or not.

The blades didnt moan when and how colin got them in the prem..and i wont moan about style if we get promoted.  Weve waited long enough and its a bit churlish to continuously moan about things...were boro and hull playing sparkling football?

Yes the first halfs were a bit of a grind and i dont want megson style route one but i want effective football befitting of the situation..i felt we had this in the final run in of the season..and how much people moan of the play offs we were 20 minutes away from it coming off.

Some people sound like the people who talk of the west ham style.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

21 hours ago, Blue and white said:

So how did they equalise if they didn't score?  Have I missed something here?  

On 7/5/2017 at 15:51, Lomas613 said:

whilst at the moment I am optimistic about next season, I am slowly getting worried. Looking at the signings what other teams are making I wonder why we haven't. Villa are strongly linked with whelan and they've signed terry. And other teams of course but cba to list them all. This season is shaping up to be very tough. I don't think I can cope with another playoff. What do we all recon in. Not asking this question to get slated im asking this question for someone to help build my confidence again and point me to anything I may have missed.

If we keep all our current top players and Melo stays fit + Joao finds his shooting boots we can B&Q it