Biggest Club in the Championship

6 hours ago, Mr Farrell said:

Sunderland,Villa and Leeds all above us.

Unfortunately, our fanbase generally lacks the ambition to be a big club.

If you're looking at fan base then Leeds are not bigger. We had very similar seasons fighting for the playoffs and both came out with 28,000 average attendance.

Still they may well pip us on their recent (ish) European adventures

7 minutes ago, charmer said:

True but in terms of the championship its Leeds Leeds Leeds.  May not be everyones choice but they do have the best fans in the championship bar none.  

Do Leeds fans still sing champions of europe?

Dream on 

Edited by selbyowls
grammer

3 minutes ago, charmer said:

True but in terms of the championship its Leeds Leeds Leeds.  May not be everyones choice but they do have the best fans in the championship bar none.  

Feck off a one club city of that size doesn't get 35000 every home game is a bag of poo , without Revie in the 60s/70s they were just a rugby city that football became intresting 

2 minutes ago, selbyowls said:

Do Leeds fans still sing champions of europe?

Dream on 

Still stuck in the 70's are Leeds! Champions of Europe, Dirty Leeds, no one likes us, blah blah blah.  There are just a bunch of educational subnormal Neanderthals.

2 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Honestly, who cares?

Does it matter who's a "big club" and who isn't? I don't care how small or "tin pot" (hate that phrase) a club is.

People are slagging off Huddersfield for being tin pot - I'd rather be in their shoes, or Stoke or West Brom or Southampton or any club that is well run and competing at the highest level.

I see what your getting at but i cant agree. 

see these sides you mentioned, they cant ever hope to break into top 7 because the good foreign players they buy just use them as a stepping stone, they are forever turning over their best players to the bigger boys.

Maybe this is how we should judge who are the big/biggest clubs in the championship? ... Hull/Sunderland/Norwich/Reading have all had a go in the prem and shown they cant challenge. but Villa/Wednesday/Leeds, this is where your history, your stadium comes into play, maybe not to the extent it once did but i believe if any of these 3 clubs are ran correctly and get a head of steam behind them, they are capable of doing more in the prem than your stoke/west brom/saints to use your list, or i could add Watford udders swansea palace bournemuff etc etc.

forget who the biggest club in the championship is, you could argue that the 'big club list' goes deeper in the champ than it does in the prem...how scary is that! if its not at that stage yet its getting there.

They say the prem is the best league in the world...er, it would be if you swap the best 10 clubs in the champ for the crappest 10 in the prem, then it would be a reyt league to watch.

noticed a thread on earlier with a prem picture of top 18 memories on it... Yeboah's goal, Klinsmann (and Alcock's) dive at S6 where on it so thats 3 out of 18 that have owls/weeds on it, where's the memories from these other clubs 'established' in the prem? 

you could argue 3 owls moments are on there as shearers goal celeb must have been against us!!

I'm never exactly sure what makes one club bigger than another other than the obvious... crowd and ground size, past glories and recent success etc, ( the North East does seem to have a large and passionate fan base ).

Whenever we are linked with a player and other couple of clubs are also chasing the same chap I often think " I wonder if he'd rather go there than come to Wednesday " Well, as far as Sunderland goes I'm not sure that their "pulling power" would be stronger than ours.... I mean Sunderland, come on...Sunderland...what is Sunder anyway ? I know who Disney was, I know what Leggo is, what the hell is Sunder ? I wouldn't go there, not unless Sunder means hot weather and beautiful women.

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

It all depends on when the poll is held. Chelsea 30 years ago probably wouldn't have been in the top 10 English clubs now they're top 5 if not top 3.  

This is a very relevant point it's certrtainly not a static list. Obviously Chesterfield are never going to overtake Manchester united. But certainly simalar clubs keep leapfroging each other. Eg Sunderland have had a good run in the premiership they have the best ground in the second tier and are imo are in front of Wednesday. But I remember them 20 odd years ago coming to Hillsborough in the fa cup losing 1-0 and they were the smaller club. 

Edited by Geedee

17 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I've never thought of Sunderland as a bigger club than us at any time really.  Always thought of them just below us. Depends what criteria you use but I consider History a big part of it and also post the Stadium of Light 20 years ago their crowds were never bigger than ours. The last period they were in the top League before the Stadium of light they were only average 15-20,000.

Really looking forward to going up there,should be top day out.them and Newcastle fans always remind me of us.

7 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I'm never exactly sure what makes one club bigger than another other than the obvious... crowd and ground size, past glories and recent success etc, ( the North East does seem to have a large and passionate fan base ).

Whenever we are linked with a player and other couple of clubs are also chasing the same chap I often think " I wonder if he'd rather go there than come to Wednesday " Well, as far as Sunderland goes I'm not sure that their "pulling power" would be stronger than ours.... I mean Sunderland, come on...Sunderland...what is Sunder anyway ? I know who Disney was, I know what Leggo is, what the hell is Sunder ? I wouldn't go there, not unless Sunder means hot weather and beautiful women.

sunder
ˈsʌndə/
verb
literary
  1. split apart.
    "a universe sundered ages ago in a divine war"