Biggest Club in the Championship

From a Smoggy perspective, It doesn't really matter to the average fan its success that counts and recent if poss.

I'm 57 and it means not a jot that Huddersfield won 3 championships back when dinos roamed

I was not around to see it or remember it,

A clubs fan base decides how big a club is. Success is ephemeral it may come and go but fan bases

endure. you can be a small club and still enjoy some success.

With regards this question I think there are 3 clubs with very big fan bases Villa Sunderland and

Leeds. Leeds fans being less likely to go than the other two. after this there are a number of clubs all of similar stature with regards fan bases, which fall and rise dependant on how well they are doing. These clubs are

Forest, Weds sheff U Derby Wolves Brum and yes little old Boro.  Its an urban myth that we don't have any fans

but the facts don't lie. We are the 16th best supported English club of all time ahead of as you say the pigs

forest and derby. The European soccer statistic and NUFC.com attendance sites will confirm. If you need further proof in the last 50 seasons how many 30,000 averages have Wednesday had we have had I think going from memory 9 plus two 29 thousand seasons

3 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Villa biggest in this league by far, in fact they're probably still in the top 8 maybe even top 5 biggest clubs in England.

Yeah but their fans don't try to get in under false pretences..So they get more money.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:01, Mr Farrell said:

Sunderland,Villa and Leeds all above us.

Unfortunately, our fanbase generally lacks the ambition to be a big club.

How the fornicate can it be the fans fault.

A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Stop bleating, stop being a fluffy, and push our club to progress to the next level.

Alternatively, become a Derby County or a Nottingham Forest.

It's not rocket science.

18 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Villa biggest in this league by far, in fact they're probably still in the top 8 maybe even top 5 biggest clubs in England.

This.

Villa really are buy far and away the biggest club in the Championship on every level. Really unfortunate how things turned sour with Lerner after he initially looked a great owner for their club. Don't reckon too much to the new owner either, but Villa should be top 8 in the Premier League without doubt.

19 hours ago, james o connor said:

It doesn't matter I care more about us not failing In the play offs this comes no season again if m honest. 

For what it's worth villa and Leeds are bigger Sunderland probably just. Derby are easily on par with us. Better average attendances year on year and more recent 'success' though neither us or them have much to shout about on that front. 

Forest , Norwich , wolves and whether you like to admit or not the pigs are all in the next group behind . 

It really does make me shudder when people even consider Derby to be 'a big club'. They are the epitome of Plastic tin pottery (and they pinch everyone else's chants). 

Yes, they get good home support. But away support is a much more justifiable way of judging the size of a club and the level of support it attracts. Derby's away support is downright terrible, even when they are doing well. 

If I'm correct, Derby achieved a higher home average than Villa, Leeds and Wednesday this season and I certainly wouldn't consider Derby to be bigger than the afore mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

If I'm correct, Derby achieved a higher home average than Villa, Leeds and Wednesday this season and I certainly wouldn't consider Derby to be bigger than the afore mentioned. 

Close, but not not quite - http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2016-2017/1/

Villa - 32,107

Derby - 29,042

Leeds - 27,698

Owls - 27,129

Worth noting that only Wednesday have 20% of our stadium unavailable due to SAG. There are a good number of games this season that 'sold out' with over 7,000 seats empty. Had we had access to some of these, we'd be above Leeds. Not sure we'd have leap-frogged Derby though.

On 6/3/2017 at 15:09, SBOwl said:

The only clubs bigger than us in my view in the league would be Villa, Leeds and Sunderland.

How do you measure size anyway?

With a very big ruler