Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

7 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

He isn't brilliant...He was just what we need tho.

Clearly not .

We don't need shirt fillers , we need Improvement , Sasso was ok , the trick is getting someone in to really Improve the team . 

Whether Danny is that man I don't know , I like DB and wouldn't be unhappy him coming back 

Batth is a lot more physical than Sasso, but not as cultured. It's a bit of aggression that we are lacking, hence the supposed bid for Sean Morrison. 

I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to see whether he has improved from the league one season where he was a rough diamond.

Sasso left because he probably wanted more game time after having spent two seasons as back up. Fair enough IMO. As for his ability, he was the best at bringing the ball out of defence and scored the odd goal. However he always seemed to have a big mistake in him such as stupidly ducking instead of clearing a ball coming into the penalty area at Leeds. I think he did similar against Birmingham but we got away with it. He was caught in possession at Forest inside the penalty area which also cost us a goal. Getting sent off at Villa because he had poor ball control did not help the cause either. TBH Sasso made the game interesting, as did Reda Johnson, but he wasn't good enough for a team serious about challenging for promotion.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

35 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Sasso was much better than you give him credit for. A continental style, yes, but he was probably our best tackler of the ball (minus Hutch) and definitely the best distributor and most skillful defender. 

Sasso was okay. Nothing more nothing less.  The question posed was that Batth was a league one player.  I just pointed out that he was much more than that and in my view would be a better back-up player than Sasso.

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Sasso left because he probably wanted more game time after having spent two seasons as back up. Fair enough IMO. As for his ability, he was the best at bringing the ball out of defence and scored the odd goal. However he always seemed to have a big mistake in him such as stupidly ducking instead of clearing a ball coming into the penalty area at Leeds. I think he did similar against Birmingham but we got away with it. He was caught in possession at Forest inside the penalty area which also cost us a goal. Getting sent off at Villa because he had poor ball control did not help the cause either. TBH Sasso made the game interesting, as did Reda Johnson, but he wasn't good enough for a team serious about challenging for promotion.

Sasso was in the team for a few games, then benched for months, only to be chucked back in again - time and again. Of course he's going to make mistakes when managed in that way. Lees and Loovens would make more mistakes being played like that too!

Given how Sasso was used, he did a superb job overall. The decision to stay will have been his own - not going to break the Lees/Loovens partnership, after 2 years of trying, so moved on for a shot at first team elsewhere.

Whilst pointing out Sasso's mistakes, probably worth pointing out Lees and Loovens have made similar mistakes too - if the weren't making mistakes, they wouldn't be playing at this level for us.

What a lot of people are forgetting is that centre backs are being quoted at £3m+ even for average ones. 

If we can get two in that wont cost the earth and will provide cover, depth and potentially outperform the current lot then what is wrong with that?

All about saving the cash. Batth is a good player, as is Mulgrew. The best bit about this Batth slating too is how people want Hanley and hes a donkey on huge wages. 

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Graham Dorrans was one of my top targets but as soon as I knew Rangers wanted him I gave up - Carlos Carvalhal

Sheffield Wednesday boss reveals he had his eyes set on signing the midfielder but dropped his interest and told Pedro Caixinha he didn't face a fight for the former Norwich man when he found out he was a boyhood Gers fan.

Apparently Dorrans went for £750k. Maybe he was out of our price range after Carlos spunked all that money on Reach and Rhodes.

1 minute ago, Geoffrey said:

Apparently Dorrans went for £750k. Maybe he was out of our price range after Carlos spunked all that money on Reach and Rhodes.

Or maybe its because Dorrans was a boyhood Rangers fan and wanted to play for them before he retired?

people saying Sasso better than Batth.. lol

Batth has played almost every Championship game for Wolves in the last 2 seasons. Has one of the best ratings of all championship centre halfs according to whoscored.com, far higher than Lees or Loovens. Would take him in a heartbeat

Sasso had one decent game last season when he scored twice, and looked great on the ball at times. But he couldn't defend to the standard required.. Too likely to make a costly error. 

Coming from a standpoint that we didn't need too many players, but we would be buying quality, I'd be pretty peeed off if we ended up with Danny Batth. Us supposedly chasing the likes of Batth and Mulgrew makes you question why we didn't stick with Sasso. Worse than that though, I'm starting to think, because of our lack of progress on the recruitment front, that maybe we could get away with signing one of them to tide us over. Certainly not what I had in mind recruitment wise. And looking at this thread back in June, nor most peoples

If after a worldwide search of centre halfs, and after thorough due diligence of over 200 players we arrive at Danny Baath, my first suggestion would be the immediate termination of employment of anyone at the club with scouting responsibilities. 

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

If after a worldwide search of centre halfs, and after thorough due diligence of over 200 players we arrive at Danny Baath, my first suggestion would be the immediate termination of employment of anyone at the club with scouting responsibilities. 

It's not as straightforward as that financial implications come in to it

People wanting to sign Hanley, someone commanding high wages, that didn't play much football last season, and won't come cheap. Over a solid CB in Batth, who is a natural captain (someone has to take that from Loovens, and it Lee's doesn't fit the mould), will also be cheaper, and had a lot more playing time recently.

Just because one is from a team that went up, and the other from a team that was further down the league doesn't always mean the level of class is vastly different.

prime example being Irvine, please for a lower placed Burton. But people wouldn't complain if we signed him. 

Wolves defence wasnt based on one player...

regading wolves fans wanting rid, just remember Leeds with Lee's.

believe batth would be a shrewd signing at this level. Remember we aren't in the prem yet.

If it's to be Hanley we may as well just get Baath, not much difference in quality big difference in price. Then if it's to be Baath we may as well just get Mulgrew, but the if we really want to improve the first team then it would be none of the above (beyond back up).

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Coming from a standpoint that we didn't need too many players, but we would be buying quality, I'd be pretty peeed off if we ended up with Danny Batth. Us supposedly chasing the likes of Batth and Mulgrew makes you question why we didn't stick with Sasso. Worse than that though, I'm starting to think, because of our lack of progress on the recruitment front, that maybe we could get away with signing one of them to tide us over. Certainly not what I had in mind recruitment wise. And looking at this thread back in June, nor most peoples

I don't get how you can be so against Batth, but keen on Hanley. Really not much difference imo.