Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

4 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Mulgrew and Batth would be two very shrewd signings. If we can spend a couple of million to get both then we've done brilliantly. Get it done.

One or the other would do as back up. Neither are good enough to oust or compete with Loovens so signing both wouldn't provide the required improvement.

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Batth and Mulgrew will prove to be astute signings I feel.

I liked Batth when we had him before & think he'd be a clever signing. Lots of experience yet not that old. Very strong & good in the air. I'm pretty sure he finished with the best stats for a centre back in the championship last season too though I could be wrong (WhoScored or Squawka).

Mulgrew I haven't seen much of but if we are getting him cheap & he covers a few positions then it's not a bad gamble.

20:25

HUTTON SET FOR VILLA STAY

Steve Bruce has moved to reassure fans that defender Alan Huttonwill remain at Villa Park this summer.

His future had come into question after the arrival of Ahmed Elmohamady from Hull but Bruce has quelled fears of a move away for the Scot.

"I’ve seen him linked with all sorts this summer," he said on Saturday afternoon. "I think I’ve been linked with 100 players and the reality is I’ve bought two, loaned one and got two on a free transfer. All the nonsense... Alan Hutton is fine, no problem."

See Steve Bruce is putting our minds at ease now. Fair play to him

Graham Dorrans was one of my top targets but as soon as I knew Rangers wanted him I gave up - Carlos Carvalhal

Sheffield Wednesday boss reveals he had his eyes set on signing the midfielder but dropped his interest and told Pedro Caixinha he didn't face a fight for the former Norwich man when he found out he was a boyhood Gers fan.

1 minute ago, Gresh said:

So you would rate Sasso above Batth?

Yeah. Baath is a league 1 player and Wolves fans want rid and have been slating him all season. 

Sasso didn't do a bad job when he filled in last season, scored a couple of important goals.  

Batth wouldn't be a signing that got me excited, but compared to Flint I'd be relatively chuffed, and although ideally I'd have thought we'd be in for someone a bit better, you can see how he'd be a very clever/shrewd signing. Not enough for me to get mah pants wet, but it's hard to argue that he shouldn't (at least on paper) be a good partner for Lees and a good addition to the squad. Lees, and Loovens to cover the right, Batth and Mulgrew to cover the left, with Hutch able to slot in on either side if/when required? 

Not enough to make me think we'd have the most domineering central defensive pool to choose from... but damn it it's hard to argue that isn't a good mix to select from. 

37 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Yeah. Baath is a league 1 player and Wolves fans want rid and have been slating him all season. 

Sasso didn't do a bad job when he filled in last season, scored a couple of important goals.  

I probably disagree.  Batth has over 100 championship games to his name, was an ever present at Wolves the season before last.  Sasso was just a cover player at best and although steady was never going to cut it at championship level.

Just now, Gresh said:

I probably disagree.  Batth has over 100 championship games to his name, was an ever present at Wolves the season before last.  Sasso was just a cover player at best and although steady was never going to cut it at championship level.

It that due to us having Loovens and Lee's, and Wolves being crap. 

Put Sasso in Wolves squad for the past 4-5 seasons, would he have played 100 games. Probably 

11 minutes ago, Gresh said:

Sasso was much better than you give him credit for. A continental style, yes, but he was probably our best tackler of the ball (minus Hutch) and definitely the best distributor and most skillful defender. 

I liked sasso, think he was more than capable at this level. Surprised we let him go tbh, but he was never going to dislodge Lees and loovens. 

I don't know if Batth will either, but given the areas Carlos was looking for in a CB, he's certainly ticking the boxes.