Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

23 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Ok...but you didn't trust Carlos when he brought in two proven commodities in Hooper and Rhodes? 

That's a bit odd. 

Not sure how much he had to do with the Rhodes signing, but that's just my opinion again At the end of the day, it's all about opinions, and we all have different ideas

Also, I was wrong about Hooper, and am pleased to have been proven so Nothing would please me more than for Rhodes to do the same If he's successful, then hopefully that means, we will be to

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I am bit concerned about whether he's good enough to play in a top half Championship team. 

He's a goal scoring threat, I know that much. 

Wait and see I suppose. 

Anytime I've seen him he looks good offensively from set pieces, but utterly sh*te defensively, in well, most aspect, which, given defending is his primary job, then yeah  

Just now, gurujuan said:

Not sure how much he had to do with the Rhodes signing, but that's just my opinion again At the end of the day, it's all about opinions, and we all have different ideas

Also, I was wrong about Hooper, and am pleased to have been proven so Nothing would please me more than for Rhodes to do the same zig he's successful, then hopefully that means, we will be to

Fair dos. 

Surely we have to wait and see with most signings...apart from Alan Hutton. He's absolute sh*te. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Thing is he we had a perfectly decent fourth choice in Sasso (who was probably the best "footballer" out of all of them) and yet some of our fans absolute hated him. 

I still stand by he could have stepped in to replace Loovens if the fans had given him the chance and not gone on his back so readily.

At the very least having him on the bench week in week out would have been most welcome. 

Just now, StudentOwl said:

I still stand by he could have stepped in to replace Loovens if the fans had given him the chance and not gone on his back so readily.

At the very least having him on the bench week in week out would have been most welcome. 

Yeah. 

I think he was a lot better than people gave him credit for. 

In many respects I think he was the perfect center half (at least footballing wise) for the type of football Carlos wants to play. A player who could play, pass and was comfortable in possession. Aiden Flint probably isn't that truth be told, but we will see. 

Just now, raljex said:

I didn't understand how he got slated for the goal at Leeds as Loovens was marking Wood when the cross went in. And I think Loovens is our best defender.

No idea. 

I think some of our fans struggle with these "footballing" types. If you're not all blood and thunder then you're a soft sh*t. 

Sasso was a good stand in for me. Sure as hell wish we'd have kept him now. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Yeah. 

I think he was a lot better than people gave him credit for. 

In many respects I think he was the perfect center half (at least footballing wise) for the type of football Carlos wants to play. A player who could play, pass and was comfortable in possession. Aiden Flint probably isn't that truth be told, but we will see. 

Flint would be the perfect signing to have next to a relatively quick CB who's confident on the ball

As it is, he's next to Tom Lees, who is "meh" at both of these things... nowt exceptional, but certainly not incompetent at either. We'd get away with it if we weren't such a "footballing" side, but as it is we're a relatively slow slide that does much better with the ball on the deck. No doubt Flint is a decent CB at this level, but I don't see how a man with his particular skills and style fits into our squad and complements the CB he'd be playing alongside

He addresses the aerial weakness sure, but he does nowt in terms of our slow defensive distribution or slow back line so we have to sit deeper conundrum

1 minute ago, Bodhidharma said:

Sasso was never gonna be content to be fourth or fifth choice again. 

He is too good for that.  

Exactly, full credit to him in wanting to play footie (on a contract that I doubt would be better than ours financially speaking)

He was a bit of aggression away from being a top class defender in this league... something that regular game time could well have taught him. It certainly wasn't lack of ability

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Flint would be the perfect signing to have next to a relatively quick CB who's confident on the ball

As it is, he's next to Tom Lees, who is "meh" at both of these things... nowt exceptional, but certainly not incompetent at either. We'd get away with it if we weren't such a "footballing" side, but as it is we're a relatively slow slide that does much better with the ball on the deck. No doubt Flint is a decent CB at this level, but I don't see how a man with his particular skills and style fits into our squad and complements the CB he'd be playing alongside

He addresses the aerial weakness sure, but he does nowt in terms of our slow defensive distribution or slow back line so we have to sit deeper conundrum

If that's the case I doubt we will be signing him. 

Carlos likes ballers.

Sasso was decent but was probably sacrificed when we decided we needed 2 new centre backs In truth, I'd have been happy to spend on one good one, and use Sasso or Hutchinson as cover

I think Carlos looked at our central defensive options and saw a couple of weaknesses All are not particularly dominant in the air, not bad, but not imposing Secondly, we need a leader, someone to organise the back four

In my opinion, Keogh, Hanley, Morrison and Dean meet that criteria, Flint does not

36 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Be interesting to see how true that is... my guess is not very. They've probably seen his lack of involvement today due to a "minor niggle" and saw Nixon's and Sky's earlier reports in the week about a failed bid, but 2 and 2 together and got 5

Still think for a couple of hundred thousand though he'd be a good bit of business

£350k or undisclosed I'm guessing

12 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

It isn't just like depression is a switch with either 'on' or 'off', there's an awful lot of grey in how much it can affect you. From Caulker's own interval just a couple of months ago, it sounds like he was in a really bad place for much of this year. I'm not going to speculate on who was feeling what and when and how bad or owt because it sure as hell isn't my place, but based on that interview if I were him I wouldn't want to move up away from his family and friends to Sheffield. 

Serious question... have you ever suffered depression?

I have previously had chronic depression & it is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life on a lower level. It is something you have to manage. 

A fresh start. Getting away from things & sometime putting a little faith back into you can be huge things in aiding a recovery. 

People flippantly writing you off because they see you as weak, not normal or a risk is what makes it worse. It grinds you down & only adds to the lack of worth you give yourself. 

So so if we were interested & he wanted the move I would be 100% behind it. Him wanting the move would be a big sign as to where he is in his head & he shouldn't be discriminated against.

And yes saying not to sign someone or refusing to consider someone for mental health is disability discrimination.

3 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Serious question... have you ever suffered depression?

I have previously had chronic depression & it is something I will have to live with for the rest of my life on a lower level. It is something you have to manage. 

A fresh start. Getting away from things & sometime putting a little faith back into you can be huge things in aiding a recovery. 

People flippantly writing you off because they see you as weak, not normal or a risk is what makes it worse. It grinds you down & only adds to the lack of worth you give yourself. 

So so if we were interested & he wanted the move I would be 100% behind it. Him wanting the move would be a big sign as to where he is in his head & he shouldn't be discriminated against.

And yes saying not to sign someone or refusing to consider someone for mental health is disability discrimination.

To answer your question, yes

Despite my username, I know exactly what it's like to have chronic depression and move from the south away from all my family and friends, up to the Sheffield area to spend a protracted amount of time in full-time employment (a year) whilst having nothing... no support structure or anything within 100 miles. It was the worst year of my life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Everyone's different, but I spoke entirely from experience 

EDIT: And without getting all snowflakey, to say I'm discriminating when my argument was almost entirely based on the fact that I was speaking from experience and out of concern for Caulker facing a near identical experience to the one I faced is damn hurtful of you. I know you weren't meant to know, but my posts were made out of concern for him and memories of what I ended up going through. 

Edited by StudentOwl

15 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

To answer your question, yes

Despite my username, I know exactly what it's like to have chronic depression and move from the south away from all my family and friends, up to the Sheffield area to spend a protracted amount of time in full-time employment (a year) whilst having nothing... no support structure or anything within 100 miles. It was the worst year of my life and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Everyone's different, but I spoke entirely from experience 

EDIT: And without getting all snowflakey, to say I'm discriminating when my argument was almost entirely based on the fact that I was speaking from experience and out of concern for Caulker facing a near identical experience to the one I faced is damn hurtful of you. I know you weren't meant to know, but my posts were made out of concern for him and memories of what I ended up going through. 

If you really are someone who has suffered this to a chronic extent then I am truly shocked you'd make such comments or suggest we don't sign someone because he has depression.

I won't ask you to explain or describe to what extent you had it as that is personal but I'm more than comfortable saying I am lucky to be alive today. I don't always feel that way but I wouldn't be here now if I didn't move & make a fresh start.

And yes your comments were discrimatory. I offer no apology for that as I truly cannot stand people saying a person should be considered differently for having mental heath issues.

Blackburn press this morning - genuinely not selling or just trying to drive the price up???

ROVERS are hopeful that defensive duo Darragh Lenihan and Charlie Mulgrew will be fit for the League One opener at Southend United – and insist the pair are not for sale.

Mulgrew and Lenihan both sat out last night’s friendly at Carlisle United with niggles, as did midfielder Ben Gladwin, with Rovers not wanting to risk the trio ahead of next weekend’s trip to Roots Hall.

Mulgrew is attracting interest from Sheffield Wednesday, while Rovers have already rejected bids from Sheffield United for Lenihan, but Tony Mowbray has taken a strong stance throughout the summer and has stressed the club don’t need to sell any player.

Of interest in his key men, he said this week: “There’s a few people looking at our players at the moment and thinking we are vulnerable, but my message is loud and clear, we are not vulnerable financially.”

"They are both carrying little knocks, we left them at home and didn't bring them and it's important they get themselves ready to train hopefully at the start of next week," said of Mulgrew and Lenihan.

"Fingers crossed they will be ready for the weekend.

"They are important footballers for the club, not just their abilities but their leadership qualities on the pitch.

"I think they probably would have played if it were a league game but there was no need to risk anyone."

Mulgrew is thought to be one of a number of central defensive options being considered by Wednesday, with boss Carlos Carvalhal revealing this week they have looked at over 200 potential targets already this summer.

But wary of Financial Fair Play, the Owls aren’t expected to overspend this summer.

Mulgrew and Lenihan both have two years left on their contracts, while Rovers have already issued a hands-off warning to QPR over their pursuit of midfielder Elliott Bennett.

And it is incomings which are on the mind of Mowbray, who is looking to supplement his squad with four new additions before the transfer window closes next month.

Rovers are looking to make it a short stay in League One, after relegation from the Championship last term, and Mowbray sees both Lenihan and Mulgrew as key to their chances of winning immediate promotion.

Mulgrew’s form in his 30 Rovers outings last season earned him a return to the Scotland squad, playing 90 minutes in each of their last three games, including a 2-2 draw against England last month at Hampden Park.

And despite relegation from League One, Mulgrew is understood to be still part of Scotland boss Gordon Strachan’s plans for their remaining four World Cup qualifiers which take place in September and October.

16 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

If you really are someone who has suffered this to a chronic extent then I am truly shocked you'd make such comments or suggest we don't sign someone because he has depression.

I won't ask you to explain or describe to what extent you had it as that is personal but I'm more than comfortable saying I am lucky to be alive today. I don't always feel that way but I wouldn't be here now if I didn't move & make a fresh start.

And yes your comments were discrimatory. I offer no apology for that as I truly cannot stand people saying a person should be considered differently for having mental heath issues.

I'd argue that moving up north, away from his family and support structure he has in London, would be a terrible idea for a man that's in the state he's in. He's a London lad who should probably remain in that area where his friends are a bit closer, the weather's a bit brighter and the place that feels more like "home".

I'm not going to speculate on who was feeling what and when and how bad or owt because it sure as hell isn't my place, but based on that interview if I were him I wouldn't want to move up away from his family and friends to Sheffield. 

None of that translates to discrimination or me saying we shouldn't sign him because of his mental health issues. Read my posts again and the actual words I used before suggesting anything like that, because you're inferring something I haven't said. 

The only thing I said that I can see that even comes remotely close to me being "discriminatory" or saying that "we shouldn't sign him" is

The bloke doesn't need that [The pressure of Hillsborough crowd and stress of moving away], and to be honest we don't need to take a risk on someone in his state. Wouldn't be fair on either party, though that's just my opinion. 

If he feels like he's ready to play football and is willing to move up here, then all power to him and he should definitely be considered as an option. I was merely saying that, from my experience and in my opinion, he probably wouldn't want to do such a thing and move far away. But as I said, just my opinion... I am not him. As you've implied in the bit I underlined above... everyone is different, my experiences are different to yours and are different to his. Which is why I explicitly said "In my opinion". 

As for the small bit I've quoted above in bold... which comes across as you skeptical to high heaven about what I said, in the politest way possible: Fúck you.

I have no issue with the rest of your post, but that isn't on mate, and I won't be replying further in risk of getting severely wound up. 

Edited by StudentOwl