Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Baatth wouldn't come here to be 4th choice. 

As for Sasso, you probably can't ask for a lot better cover in defence than that, but he probably wanted to play regularly. When we couldn't guarantee that, he decided to leave. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Seems like desperation time. 

Left it too late and now we're left with the likes of Batth; Mulgrew or Hutton, etc. :duntmatter:

I think we may have been caught off a guard a bit by this even more inflated market. 

When you've got teams splashing 15 million here and there it suddenly becomes harder to get a good deal for players. 

Just now, SiJ said:

I think we may have been caught off a guard a bit by this even more inflated market. 

When you've got teams splashing 15 million here and there it suddenly becomes harder to get a good deal for players. 

Yeah true but hard to see after supposedly looking at around 200 centre backs far and wide, that we've settled for Batth and Mulgrew. I see the point in bringing in someone like Mulgrew because of his versatility but I don't see the point in bringing Batth back, he doesn't improve us. Why can't we look in the German market or something for better value, if we're priced out over here?

6 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Baatth wouldn't come here to be 4th choice. 

As for Sasso, you probably can't ask for a lot better cover in defence than that, but he probably wanted to play regularly. When we couldn't guarantee that, he decided to leave. 

Why would anybody coming here be fourth choice? Loovens and Hutchinson are permanently injured even when they make it onto the field. 

Any centre half incoming will get plenty of game time, regardless of whether it's on merit or not 

1 minute ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Yeah true but hard to see after supposedly looking at around 200 centre backs far and wide, that we've settled for Batth and Mulgrew. I see the point in bringing in someone like Mulgrew because of his versatility but I don't see the point in bringing Batth back, he doesn't improve us. Why can't we look in the German market or something for better value, if we're priced out over here?

Sadly I fear our scouting network isn't that great at the moment. 

Either that or the mandate for the new signing is one with Championship experience (didn't Carlos saying something like that?) 

Inevitably if you're looking for someone with that proven pedigree you're going to be coughing up a higher amount. It's certainly a sellers market at the moment with the stupid money getting spent. 

Just now, SiJ said:

Sadly I fear our scouting network isn't that great at the moment. 

Either that or the mandate for the new signing is one with Championship experience (didn't Carlos saying something like that?) 

Inevitably if you're looking for someone with that proven pedigree you're going to be coughing up a higher amount. It's certainly a sellers market at the moment with the stupid money getting spent. 

That's true. I just find it disappointing as to me I think we're just one quality commanding ball playing centre back away from a top 2 push. 

Just now, Mr. Wednesday said:

That's true. I just find it disappointing as to me I think we're just one quality commanding ball playing centre back away from a top 2 push. 

I completely agree. 

We've got excellent options in midfield and up top. We do have two full backs for the right and left,  plus Reach...though perhaps an upgrade wouldn't have gone amiss but I think we can get by. 

Center half though...we are very light. Lees, Loovens (if fit) and Hutch (if fit). Be bloody irritating if our chances of competing at the very top are buggered up by not being able to get the right addition at the back. Sure we will find someone though in the next few weeks. 

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Batth is as natural a captain as Richard Wood was by the sounds of the feedback from Wolves fans in the other thread. 

I think there's a solid and strong player there but not an organiser

That's probably how I see it

The first jobs for any centre half in this league is that they defend, i.e. win headers and clear their lines.

Sasso didn't do it , Baath would be better at these basics.

He is not as good at bringing the ball out of defence but neither is Hanley who some on here would be happy to pay big money for.

This year's hardball suggests scouting's got better, except Curtis for free where everyone got mugged by Derby.

And Barnsley would never willingly sell us another player so Brum had a free run recently.

Do you want another Reach - £5 million to put on bench, value now down to £2 m?

Hanley's price will come down soon and then we'll get our first choice stopper.

Yes, we'll have to  pay but Harry Mc 's price increased £10 million in one season. Ditto Mawson.

Danny, Charlie etc are back ups and latter one must have an iffy contract clause to explain that bid. Chill.

49 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Batth is as natural a captain as Richard Wood was by the sounds of the feedback from Wolves fans in the other thread. 

I think there's a solid and strong player there but not an organiser

All about opinions.  What would Leeds fans have said about Tom Lees before we picked him up?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

It's on the usual transfer accounts but they got it from the Daily Mail and Midlands media

Cheers.

if it's straight from the usual transfer accounts I can't be bothered to read anymore but a bit more credibility in a part and local journo.

id take Batth in a heartbeat. Would be easy for him to maybe get a little lost at the Wolves Circus during the last 18 months ( Lees at Leeds springs to mind)

has all all the attributes for a very good championship centre half including leadership skills.

difficult to judge too much as I like most other Wednesday fans don't watch him week in week out.  But from how he was developing with us and what I have seen since he would be a good addition and back up to Lees and maybe push for the other CB position.

45 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

If we're shopping at Wolves, forget Bathh and get Iorfa.

I would have like Iorfa here but sadly he went to Ipswich on loan instead.

Also I'm surprised nobody is alarmed that Graham Dorrans was supposedly our number one target of the summer. What on earth did we need him for? If we're going to sign yet another midfielder it should be a hyper-talented, young, dynamic one with box-to-box skills (*cough Jackson Irvine), not an another ageing one like Dorrans. Or am I massively under rating him? Norwich didn't exactly seem to mind selling him for a low ish fee.

48 minutes ago, Gresh said:

All about opinions.  What would Leeds fans have said about Tom Lees before we picked him up?

I'm not sure he was talking about his defensive qualities, but maybe his qualities as a leader. Tom Lees is a good defender, but like Batth, isn't really an organiser

27 minutes ago, Gresh said:

Im tired of hearing about what Leeds fans said about Tom Lees tbh. We played a blinder with that but it doesn't mean it will happen every time. We are trying to win the league aren't we? 

I wouldnt necessarily be unhappy with him as he is a strong and aggressive player. But if playing in a two I'd have him down as the tom lees type rather than the Loovens leader/talker type.

that is based on his time here and current feedback from fans at Wolves.

Edited by Bluesteel