Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

26 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I would have like Iorfa here but sadly he went to Ipswich on loan instead.

Also I'm surprised nobody is alarmed that Graham Dorrans was supposedly our number one target of the summer. What on earth did we need him for? If we're going to sign yet another midfielder it should be a hyper-talented, young, dynamic one with box-to-box skills (*cough Jackson Irvine), not an another ageing one like Dorrans. Or am I massively under rating him? Norwich didn't exactly seem to mind selling him for a low ish fee.

Or Carlos was just doing a bit of PR before our friendly.

The key thing for me is, how does Carlos see us setting up in midfield. Never seen Hutchinson thrive when he's been part of a midfield two, unless it's practically been a three with Bannan wide left. I note he played in a two with Abdi, in one of the friendlies.

For me, there would seem to be too much of a gap between Hutch, who sits deep, and Abdi, who likes to play in the hole. It might work, but and I'd certainly like to see Abdi more involved this season. Still see Hutch as more of a centre back though, but Carlos must have gone off that idea, hence him looking for two centre backs

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The key thing for me is, how does Carlos see us setting up in midfield. Never seen Hutchinson thrive when he's been part of a midfield two, unless it's practically been a three with Bannan wide left. I note he played in a two with Abdi, in one of the friendlies.

For me, there would seem to be too much of a gap between Hutch, who sits deep, and Abdi, who likes to play in the hole. It might work, but and I'd certainly like to see Abdi more involved this season. Still see Hutch as more of a centre back though, but Carlos must have gone off that idea, hence him looking for two centre backs

The best game I have seen Hutch play as a centre back was in Carlos's first season when he played there against Derby and completely dominated Martin

He played right side alongside Loovens. He has never looked as good playing left side and for this reason I see him as cover for Lees rather than a partner to

41 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Im tired of hearing about what Leeds fans said about Tom Lees tbh. We played a blinder with that but it doesn't mean it will happen every time. We are trying to win the league aren't we? 

I wouldnt necessarily be unhappy with him as he is a strong and aggressive player. But if playing in a two I'd have him down as the tom lees type rather than the Loovens leader/talker type.

that is based on his time here and current feedback from fans at Wolves.

So, Batth as back up for Tom Lees and if we can get Mulgrew in that would be him and Loovens fighting fore for the left side CB role.  Better than last year and I think that would be a good outcome without breaking the bank don't you?

46 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The best game I have seen Hutch play as a centre back was in Carlos's first season when he played there against Derby and completely dominated Martin

He played right side alongside Loovens. He has never looked as good playing left side and for this reason I see him as cover for Lees rather than a partner to

Exactly this, he has to play with someone who is comfortable playing on the left. Hutchinson could turn out to be the ball playing central defender we crave, alongside the right person

52 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Lots of talk about recruiting back up centre halves. Surely we should be looking to recruit 1st team starters, who are better than what we have ?

That would leave us with very, very capable back ups. Just a thought :columbo:

That was probably Plan A, but are there more than 200 CBs better than our current first choices? 

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

See, I'd be of the opinion that Hutchinson is needed in midfield more often than not, so if we signed Mulgrew as backup, I'd still expect us to bring in another centre back who would be good enough to push Loovens down the pecking order. It makes no sense to allow an able deputy in Sasso to walk away if we're only going to bring in another backup player in his stead - we need to be bringing in players who improve our first choice eleven.

Quick question, how do you stop a player that's out of contract walking away? I'm assuming we offered Sasso terms to stay, but couldn't assure him of first team football (that in my opinion he's more than capable of playing either here or elsewhere). 

All credit to hm leaving to find game time. 

1 hour ago, Gresh said:

So, Batth as back up for Tom Lees and if we can get Mulgrew in that would be him and Loovens fighting fore for the left side CB role.  Better than last year and I think that would be a good outcome without breaking the bank don't you?

It would certainly improve squad depth for a relatively modest outlay. But it's whether these players want to come in as back up I suppose. I would have thought either Batth or Mulgrew would be in the backup category whilst we went for a first choice target who was better than what we have already. 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Quick question, how do you stop a player that's out of contract walking away? I'm assuming we offered Sasso terms to stay, but couldn't assure him of first team football (that in my opinion he's more than capable of playing either here or elsewhere). 

All credit to hm leaving to find game time. 

Why do assume that?

We weren't desperate to keep him last summer when we re-signed him at the 11th hour, so I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't offered him a new deal this time around. There were certainly no indications that we'd offered him anything when the out-of-contract list was announced.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

I agree but I think Hutch has the potential to be better than Lees if played at right cb for a season!

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why do assume that?

We weren't desperate to keep him last summer when we re-signed him at the 11th hour, so I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't offered him a new deal this time around. There were certainly no indications that we'd offered him anything when the out-of-contract list was announced.

Because he was a fantastic backup, and letting him go means we both needed to find one CB to come into the first team, and a second to replace him as backup. 

Obviously none of this is officially known, but the fact it seemed relative madness to let him go leaving us with two recognised CB's, coupled with the fact that he performed well, thirded with the fact that he found a club right after the season, suggests that we offered him a contract and he turned us down. 

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Because he was a fantastic backup, and letting him go means we both needed to find one CB to come into the first team, and a second to replace him as backup. 

Obviously none of this is officially known, but the fact it seemed relative madness to let him go leaving us with two recognised CB's, coupled with the fact that he performed well, thirded with the fact that he found a club right after the season, suggests that we offered him a contract and he turned us down. 

Or it suggests that the club were confident that they could bring in better than Sasso and didn't offer him a new deal.

We only re-signed him at the 11th hour last summer after failing to secure other targets such as Hanley.

I wouldn't assume that he was offered anything.

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why do assume that?

Because last season we had Semedo as back up and we were screaming that Hutch was a CB, all of a sudden we have one fit centerback - why wouldn't we offer him a deal? 

And i I wouldn't expect a clubs PR team to be saying we offered xxx a contract but he told us where to shove it. 

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Or it suggests that the club were confident that they could bring in better than Sasso and didn't offer him a new deal.

We only re-signed him at the 11th hour last summer after failing to secure other targets such as Hanley.

I wouldn't assume that he was offered anything.

If that was the thought process then it's total madness... and I'm kind of hoping the club are better than that. Because there is no way on this planet we will have any chance at signing a player better than Sasso to be fourth choice. 

Just now, StudentOwl said:

If that was the thought process then it's total madness... and I'm kind of hoping the club are better than that. Because there is no way on this planet we will have any chance at signing a player better than Sasso to be fourth choice. 

But we may be in the market for a centre back who improves our starting eleven, thus making one of our existing players the backup option.

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Because last season we had Semedo as back up and we were screaming that Hutch was a CB, all of a sudden we have one fit centerback - why wouldn't we offer him a deal? 

And i I wouldn't expect a clubs PR team to be saying we offered xxx a contract but he told us where to shove it. 

OK - you assume we offered Sasso a new deal if you like. I'll wait until there's some evidence. It's not even worthy of discussion, really.