Wednesday based in the south? - Sky talk

7 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

I can understand the appeal of London to some extent but if a players first priority is the nightlife then your probably best not signing them in the first place. 

Yeah, nightlife is all London has, especially for multi millionaire twenty odd year olds. Didn't you know, that's what all the tourists come for as well, the place is deserted in the day, roger all going on.

1 hour ago, doubleo said:

It works both ways. Chrissy Waddle still lives up here and loves Sheffield. I read somewhere Semedo loves it. But if it does happen we can drop the name Sheffield and just be The Wednesday.........Maybe our founders were well ahead of the times.

Many came to Sheffield and stayed way after their involvement in the local teams ended. Bassett, Hughes, Pearson to name a few

8 hours ago, james o connor said:

He's right most players especially the foriegn stars don't want to live in grotty Manchester , inveead Liverpool or isolated Newcastle . As much as I love Sheffield , I can see why it would have even less of an appeal to someone not born into it . 

Their loss ! Why anybody would want to live in London is beyond me ! 

Grotty Manchester? Have you been to Bowden, Winslow, hale? 

Liverpool i get... but Manchester is a great place to live 

sorry you were being ironic!

Edited by sweetsheri

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Didn't Mr Springett do this . Train with QPR and play for us?

Different times then of course.

Presumably the manager and all the coaching staff would have to take the training sessions 'down south' if they were wanting to do specific work with the team.

That Russian side Anzi did it and it was something daft like a thousand mile commute, they also had local players so not really sure how it worked but it was only way they got players like Roberto Carlos to signed for them.

38 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

St. Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, population 1500, home of the worlds smallest affiliated football league with only two teams competing every week.

Scilly Isles... Lovely place. Stayed at the Star Castle a few years ago and an ideal base for any professional footballer who might want to get away from city life.

9 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

Didn't Antilio Lombardo turn us down in the mid 90's not wanting to move to England, then signed for Palace about a year later?

I can never hear that name now without thinking of Baddiel and Skinner Fantasy Football League from that time.  They used to mention his name and then they would start playing some dance music at which point some guy with a bald head would enter the scene. Hilarious

8 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Scilly Isles... Lovely place. Stayed at the Star Castle a few years ago and an ideal base for any professional footballer who might want to get away from city life.

Went up the Star Castle for supper on Easter Saturday, had the beef Wellington....flipping gorgeous !!

If you're over again call into the IOS store and ask for Terry, I'll take you fishing and we can talk Wednesday for a few hours,

I dont understand this.

Imagine you were a single footballer, in your early-mid 20s, earning £100k+ a week and you were effectively famous. Now imagine a few Spanish clubs came in for you and you fancied moving to Spain.

These 3 clubs were all the same sort of size, were offering the same sort of terms, but were all based in very different areas.

2 were inland, working class towns/cities which are a bit rundown and not the best for a young millionaire to flaunt his wealth and have fun.

The other was in a thriving metropolis by the sea, full of millions of beautiful women and beautiful people. 

I know which one I would choose.

7 minutes ago, trev said:

I dont understand this.

Imagine you were a single footballer, in your early-mid 20s, earning £100k+ a week and you were effectively famous. Now imagine a few Spanish clubs came in for you and you fancied moving to Spain.

These 3 clubs were all the same sort of size, were offering the same sort of terms, but were all based in very different areas.

2 were inland, working class towns/cities which are a bit rundown and not the best for a young millionaire to flaunt his wealth and have fun.

The other was in a thriving metropolis by the sea, full of millions of beautiful women and beautiful people. 

I know which one I would choose.

Go then tell us, on the edge of my seat here.

Many people commute to work, I suppose. And perhaps football shouldn’t be so different.

Is it too much to think that players could live and do their daily work in one place and travel once a week to their home stadium and carry out that which they have practised all week?

Probably not.

However I must be from an old fashioned school of thought ..

For I believe very much in the genius loci.

Because football is more than just a profession, certainly to the greatest number which make up the interested parties - The supporters.  

So much of football is about a sense of belonging and identity and tradition. And whilst players may now come to these shores from the four corners of the globe, they are, when they play for a club representing the ideals and ethos of not only the club, but the people of the places where that club was born.

True, they can be the greatest of professionals and give their all whenever they play wherever they live.  

But to work and live in the City you represent ; to be amongst the people for whom you both work and are worshipped brings, to my eyes at least brings a greater understanding and connectivity. A greater bond. And those unseen things can go a long way.

But, as I said earlier. I am old fashioned.

I want people who want to be here. Not just in the shirts, but in the City, knowing what it is to represent the people and this magnificent City.  Then again, I also like black shorts and striped shirts, so I can probably be locked in the vaults amongst the other relics of yesteryear.

16 hours ago, Muffinman said:

England dominates the UK, south dominates the north. South east dominates the south. London dominates the south east and all the posh areas dominate London. don't they just all F*** off to their own little Island. Come friendly ***** and fall on all those city champagne swilling greedy southern pigs. Only time I ever laugh is when I read diesel is killing London. If only.

Can't think why people don't want to move to live near this.

21 hours ago, aeroswfc said:

What a stupid suggestion. 

Train in the south and play games in the north. 

When Ron Springett was our Goalkeeper he trained at QPR and travelled up on the train to play for Wednesday. So it's not entirely unprecedented.

18 minutes ago, mark1948 said:

When Ron Springett was our Goalkeeper he trained at QPR and travelled up on the train to play for Wednesday. So it's not entirely unprecedented.

Different days now. There will be many sessions that need to be with other players, if not the whole team.

The argument is, I guess, to move the whole training set up to a southerly location. It could work but I don't like the idea