Wednesday based in the south? - Sky talk

Just been listening to Gary Neville talking twaddle on Sky. Claiming that there is a power shift in football to the south and only southern clubs will be able to attract the top players as they all want to live down south. He is saying it has just got worse with Brighton going up and possibly Reading or Fulham. The answer apparently is that northern teams could based their training facilities in the south and just travel up north for the matches. Jamie Carragher laughed at this and said he would love to see Wednesday or Leeds come up via play offs along with Newcastle to address the balance.

He's right most players especially the foriegn stars don't want to live in grotty Manchester , inveead Liverpool or isolated Newcastle . As much as I love Sheffield , I can see why it would have even less of an appeal to someone not born into it . 

Their loss ! Why anybody would want to live in London is beyond me ! 

Didnt Jeff Stelling have an infamous rant about this before?? About foreign players preferring smaller London/southern clubs to the likes of Newcastle/Sunderland?

Edited to say - just checked and it his rant was after Middlesborough was voted worst place to live in UK. So totally irrelevant to this thread lol

Edited by eddie1973

I think it makes complete sense.

Fans don't care where players train and live...fans do care that players are happy and settled.

I think DC and CC would consider this...and if we want to attract Premiership player in the coming years, we should think clearly about this.

Gary Neville has an inside ear to the players and this clearly isn't a new thing.

Speaking as someone who was born and lives about as far south (west) as you can get I can tell you now that I absolutely love it "up north".... in fact if I hadn't just turned 60 and live on a small island with two daughters and four grandchildren I would seriously consider moving. My wife feels exactly the same way. We love the scenery, the architecture, the pubs and hotels and more than anything... the friendliness of the people. 

If was in the lucky position to be able to choose where I played my footy then it would be Yorkshire all day long. ( or possibly Italy or Fiji)

1 minute ago, scilly owl said:

Speaking as someone who was born and lives about as far south (west) as you can get I can tell you now that I absolutely love it "up north".... in fact if I hadn't just turned 60 and live on a small island with two daughters and four grandchildren I would seriously consider moving. My wife feels exactly the same way. We love the scenery, the architecture, the pubs and hotels and more than anything... the friendliness of the people. 

If was in the lucky position to be able to choose where I played my footy then it would be Yorkshire all day long. ( or possibly Italy or Fiji)

We can trade if you like ???

Didn't Mr Springett do this . Train with QPR and play for us?

Different times then of course.

Presumably the manager and all the coaching staff would have to take the training sessions 'down south' if they were wanting to do specific work with the team.

This is where the government comes in. Trying to move some of the establishment away from London as it seems to be the centre of the universe to some. Investment in the North needs to increase to allow cities like Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool catch up. I've been to London once to see the sights and that's my lot, doesn't interest me.

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Didn't Mr Springett do this . Train with QPR and play for us?

Different times then of course.

Presumably the manager and all the coaching staff would have to take the training sessions 'down south' if they were wanting to do specific work with the team.

Good idea - perhaps we could have FF training with Fulham for the next two weeks :manager:

31 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

So what's this small island called then?

lol