Wednesday based in the south? - Sky talk

Tevez did it while he was at Man City.  No doubt there are others.

People slating London are missing the point.  If you have the money it  is without doubt one of the best places to live in the world and it offers a "community" and culture to any foreigner living there.

The northern cities, however cosmopolitan, cannot compete with this.

Neville's basic point is correct however sad it might be.

In fairness the fact that clubs in the north east find it so hard to attract top quality players validates Neville's point. Look at the crowds Sunderland and Newcastle get, yet they seem to find it impossible to recruit the talent needed for PL survival.  Maybe Neville's idea isn't so crazy after all and from a fans point of view would anybody be that concerned if the players and training facilities were near London? 

On on a personal note I have to say I would hate to live in London. Way too busy and expensive, but there again my clubbing days are well and truly behind me!

On a side note does anyone know how far away most of the Wednesday players live? I know Hutch lives in Whirlow and Winnall in Doncaster but that's it. Doesn't Bannan still live in Birmingham?  Apparently McManaman lives furthest away so don't know where he comes from.

1 hour ago, scilly owl said:

Speaking as someone who was born and lives about as far south (west) as you can get I can tell you now that I absolutely love it "up north".... in fact if I hadn't just turned 60 and live on a small island with two daughters and four grandchildren I would seriously consider moving. My wife feels exactly the same way. We love the scenery, the architecture, the pubs and hotels and more than anything... the friendliness of the people. 

If was in the lucky position to be able to choose where I played my footy then it would be Yorkshire all day long. ( or possibly Italy or Fiji)

Don't be so Scilly! 

lol

I read Colins autobiography once and the Scarborough owner wanted to base them in Leeds and just travel to Scarborough for matches, so that they could attract more players.

the town protested and they stayed in Scarborough.

and now they don't exist. Go figure.

1 hour ago, darklord said:

heard before a rumour that the Mackems were looking at having their training base near London and flying players up to Scumberland for games. Dunno how true it is mind

Definitely true. They felt it would be the only way of attracting top foreign players to Sunderland.

I know there are a number of clubs in Russia who train in Moscow despite their home games being hours away. But apparently it makes little difference because they have to travel so far for away games a number of which are in and around Moscow anyway.

This came about last week when it was reported Sunderland were in the thought process of maybe having a base in or around London to help attract more/Better Foreign players to sign for the club

This isn't Nevilles Great Idea or anything that is even being thought off from anyone apart from Sunderland

The best using the location as an excuse to transfer or not Transfer to a club was Robbie Savage claiming he wanted to leave Birmingham to be closer to his family and signed for Blackburn which was further away from them then Birmingham was   

It works both ways. Chrissy Waddle still lives up here and loves Sheffield. I read somewhere Semedo loves it. But if it does happen we can drop the name Sheffield and just be The Wednesday.........Maybe our founders were well ahead of the times.

Guest mkowl

Most of the London team players don't actually live in London. The training grounds of Arsenal and Watford are based next to each other in London Colney - it is inside the M25 by about 50 yards. Chelsea are in Cobham. I believe Tottenham and West Ham aren't either and Palace is virtually by the coast anyhow 

7 hours ago, james o connor said:

He's right most players especially the foriegn stars don't want to live in grotty Manchester , inveead Liverpool or isolated Newcastle . As much as I love Sheffield , I can see why it would have even less of an appeal to someone not born into it . 

Their loss ! Why anybody would want to live in London is beyond me ! 

Only two hours by train to Sheffield....