Wednesday based in the south? - Sky talk

20 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

On a side note does anyone know how far away most of the Wednesday players live? I know Hutch lives in Whirlow and Winnall in Doncaster but that's it. Doesn't Bannan still live in Birmingham?  Apparently McManaman lives furthest away so don't know where he comes from.

Forestieri lives in Ecclesfield 

Kieran Lee is the Manchester side of the pennines as is Westwood. Both originally from them parts 

Pudil lives the Eccy Rd end of town have seen him with family in Endcliffe Park and sure I've seen from Twitter he sends his son to the private school that end of town. 

Loovens I'm assuming lives in Sheffield given I've seen him in town a couple of times. No one would go to sheffield city centre unless they lived here. 

Not a stalker just bits I've read in interviews or seen on twitter

16 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Different days now. There will be many sessions that need to be with other players, if not the whole team.

The argument is, I guess, to move the whole training set up to a southerly location. It could work but I don't like the idea

The point is Ron didn't want to live in Sheffield but we still wanted him to play for us so an accommodation was reached. In future if we want to have the best players in the world we may have to reach similar arrangements and if volume dictates then it is possible, though unlikely in the short to medium term, that southern based training facilities will be developed. If there are rapid transport services in the future then the location of training bases could be anywhere. It then becomes a financial decision.

Edited by mark1948

29 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

Forestieri lives in Ecclesfield 

Kieran Lee is the Manchester side of the pennines as is Westwood. Both originally from them parts 

Pudil lives the Eccy Rd end of town have seen him with family in Endcliffe Park and sure I've seen from Twitter he sends his son to the private school that end of town. 

Loovens I'm assuming lives in Sheffield given I've seen him in town a couple of times. No one would go to sheffield city centre unless they lived here. 

Not a stalker just bits I've read in interviews or seen on twitter

Take it you don't get out much.  The city centre is full of people not from Sheffield on a Friday and Saturday night.

15 hours ago, Almat said:

Many came to Sheffield and stayed way after their involvement in the local teams ended. Bassett, Hughes, Pearson to name a few

bit different to say Tevez though

Sheffield is ideal for the level headed footballer (and partner) who wants to get his head down and enjoy the countryside etc...

If you want to be a playboy footballer or have a wannabe seen WAG then we don't have much of a chance really

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Not in the city of Manchester.

do we have any nice city centre suburbs either though?

Also interesting how they have situated their training ground in the more desirable south Manchester nearer the airport

9 minutes ago, modboy said:

bit different to say Tevez though

Sheffield is ideal for the level headed footballer (and partner) who wants to get his head down and enjoy the countryside etc...

If you want to be a playboy footballer or have a wannabe seen WAG then we don't have much of a chance really

You can have a wonderful life anywhere with a big war chest...It's having the brains to do it that's the problem with so many young players....And older ones too.

Thick as sh*t most of them.

I can understand why they would want to live on the Costa blanca and have arsenal or chelsea wages..but that comes after the graft.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Take it you don't get out much.  The city centre is full of people not from Sheffield on a Friday and Saturday night.

Im basing the Loovens bit on having seen him mid morning on Union Street near Howden House. Ain't like seeing him on West St on a weekend 

On 18/04/2017 at 16:01, Ellis Rimmer said:

I read Colins autobiography once and the Scarborough owner wanted to base them in Leeds and just travel to Scarborough for matches, so that they could attract more players.

the town protested and they stayed in Scarborough.

and now they don't exist. Go figure.

Scarborough do exist and are about to move into a new stadium

They done very well to resurrect themselves after folding. 

I've heard about the basing in Leeds though. 

On 18/04/2017 at 13:53, aeroswfc said:

What a stupid suggestion. 

Train in the south and play games in the north. 

The best goalkeeper we ever had and probably one of the best there's ever been did just this with QPR

when he was with us for many years. Ronald Springett

Live in Brighton /Bournemouth or Sunderland / Middlesbrough?

Can definitely see the attraction for some clubs but for a club to have a base some distance away from the actual club is taking the p!ss and I can't see many fans accepting it.

The players earn enough to live in nicer areas of the Town/ City they play in. Any player that wants to move to a City for the nightlife is not worth bothering with

On 18/04/2017 at 16:01, Ellis Rimmer said:

I read Colins autobiography once and the Scarborough owner wanted to base them in Leeds and just travel to Scarborough for matches, so that they could attract more players.

the town protested and they stayed in Scarborough.

and now they don't exist. Go figure.

Well I've gone and figured and don't think that the demise of Scarborough football club had anything to do with the fact that they weren't based in Leeds !

lol

It is certainly true that Sunderland have looked at this ie training base in south and just fly up for home matches.  Old university friend who now writes for a national and has published told me this a few months ago.  (Or told me and a mutual friend who is a big Sunderland fan).  Not sure how seriously they looked or if idea still alive

Personally I think it's understandable.  I like the Sheffield area as a place to live but that's a combination of factors which kick in for a middle age person on decent money but a fraction of footballer earnings.  For the young hyper-rich the attraction of London seems obvious.  (But London and surrounding areas specifically.  Reading and Bournemouth don't cut it in quite the same way, nice as the latter is)