Wednesday based in the south? - Sky talk

2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

It is certainly true that Sunderland have looked at this ie training base in south and just fly up for home matches.  Old university friend who now writes for a national and has published told me this a few months ago.  (Or told me and a mutual friend who is a big Sunderland fan).  Not sure how seriously they looked or if idea still alive

There is a general consensus already that the gap is too wide between those who sit in the stands and players.

This would make is even wider. Can hardly say you represent Sunderland the city and you are a community club when you don't consider training in Sunderland good enough for you. 

I wonder if the club has used the phrase yet 'The Sunderland Football Family'

27 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

There is a general consensus already that the gap is too wide between those who sit in the stands and players.

This would make is even wider. Can hardly say you represent Sunderland the city and you are a community club when you don't consider training in Sunderland good enough for you. 

I wonder if the club has used the phrase yet 'The Sunderland Football Family'

I agree.  I don't know any more than that Sunderland were looking into this.  I don't know how seriously. It would be really toxic and divisive, and that may well put them off.  

Having worked in London and all around the country I have never found anywhere better than Sheffield.  All the people I have know that came up from London to Sheffield, said it was the best decision of their life and these people were relocated with their jobs.  London is OK for a weekend, but who would want to live there is beyond me.

1 hour ago, hypnosisman said:

Having worked in London and all around the country I have never found anywhere better than Sheffield.  All the people I have know that came up from London to Sheffield, said it was the best decision of their life and these people were relocated with their jobs.  London is OK for a weekend, but who would want to live there is beyond me.

The difference being these are young men on more than a million and some several million  pounds a year.

If you are On a normal salary or 3 or 4 times a normal salary the lifestyle you can afford in the north is far better than london, if you are very wealthy the capital or just outside  is the only to be. 

Guest Grez Bez

It may not be what people want to hear and  it doesn't sit well with me 'emotionally' but it makes a lot of sense.

If I'm a footballer and get an offer in the Netherlands; do I choose Amsterdam(London) or Utrecht (Sheffield). I'd imagine the majority of foreign footballers would rather be in or around London than any other city i the UK. That's not to say they won't like the northern cities....

Should imagine family possibly have a say too. I know Dale Stephens from Brighton put in a transfer request and wanted to move to Burnley of all places. His wife put a block on that though cos she liked it where she was. Brighton or Burnley? Hmmmmmm. Bet he's glad she did now. 

There have been comments that Manchester is the exception. 

if it is ok to live in/near Manchester then you can play for Everton, Liverpool, Preston, Owls, Leeds, Stoke, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Derby, Forest etc and live in the same place as you would if you played for City or United

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest Grez Bez
4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

There have been comments that Manchester is the exception. 

if it is ok to live in/near Manchester then you can play for Everton, Liverpool, Preston, Owls, Leeds, Stoke, Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Derby, Forest etc and live in the same place as you would if you played for City or United

Agreed, especially when we build the M67 Tunnel :)

Manny is the second best city in the UK currenlty!

Guest Grez Bez
57 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I think it is overrated compared to Brum Leeds Sheff. But agree it has the profile. That's why this is much tougher for Sunderland than us.

I do agree actually. Birmingham is vastly underrated too...

i think Sheffield is far better placed than most cities so we are less affected than others

In Sheff you can realistically commute from Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Notts and Hull (Capital of Culture)