Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

My stance remains the same, like our existing strikers, Rhodes will struggle to score goals in this side unless we're prepared to modify our tactics. Having said that, if the deals right, and it has to be I guess, then Rhodes would be useful to have about the place. I'm also pretty sure the money could be better spent elsewhere.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

My stance remains the same, like our existing strikers, Rhodes will struggle to score goals in this side unless we're prepared to modify our tactics. Having said that, if the deals right, and it has to be I guess, then Rhodes would be useful to have about the place. I'm also pretty sure the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Guru, I would hope that we are not throwing money at him , just to have him around the place :columbo:, but I get what you mean.

The point about modifying tactics is a really good one, and I just don't see us playing a style of football that exploits Rhodes's attributes.

35 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Guru, I would hope that we are not throwing money at him , just to have him around the place :columbo:, but I get what you mean.

The point about modifying tactics is a really good one, and I just don't see us playing a style of football that exploits Rhodes's attributes.

Or indeed those of Forestieri, Abdi or Reach

There are three teams in the top six which we didn't expect to be there, which has halved the places up for grabs. Derby, and ultimately Norwich and Villa will like as not push us out if we don't do something. If Chansiri is determined to go up this season, or at least finish top six, then I can understand this. Because if it looks like we're going to be excluded from the top six come the end of the season then he'll sack Carlos and bring somebody else in. There could already be somebody in mind for all we know, and the more quality he's got to work with the better.

Guest RocketOwl

It's ok sign another striker to receive mo service.

whilst we continue with only 2 good centre backs.

may as well sign another left back too.

It would be bonkers signing Rhodes, when we lack pace, width and need to bring in 3 or 4 players of quality not just one. I think Rhodes would be wasted in our current set up, plus he's not in form or playing regular. He gets goals but we've got Hooper and Winnall, and Forestieri, it's the negative tippy tappy tactics and lack of pace holding us back, protecting our weak full backs/wing backs nullifying our ability to attack teams. Another striker, no matter how good, won't rectify our width; pace, height or our negative set up issues. We should only bring him in, if we rectify all the other problem areas and weaknesses in the team.

Unfortunately, I doubt very much we'll be getting Hourihane. They're talking about 30K-a-week wages now, and the fee's gone up to the best part of £3 million. Add to that the fact that Hourihane wants to go to Villa, and that Barnsley don't want to sell to us, the odds look extremely long. Undoubtedly Wednesday are looking elsewhere now, and probably have been doing for the best part of a week now. The Rhodes situation is probably completely separate from the midfield playmaker one, and is both/and rather than either/or. If we drop out of the top six in the coming weeks and don't look like getting back, then I think Carlos will be gone, and a new man brought in. We've got quality in this side but it's the tactics which are at fault. A new man will need as much talent at his disposal as possible, so it's the more the merrier if Chansiri is prepared to bring it in.

The small mindedness shown by many on here is the inevitable consequence of 20 years of under achievement.

Maybe letting our ambitious new chairman and the best manager we've had in 20 years get on with the transformation and actually buy into it would be a good idea ?

Here and now is the best time to be a Wednesdayite since1993 yet some are still not happy !

10 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

It's quite clear it's not Carlos given the players brought in. He's officially Head Coach and it's looking more and more that he simply picks the team from the players he's given.

Ive said this for since last season on here and been slated for it, common sense tells you that this is what must be happening due to the game time most signing have had, any Chairman would wouldn't stand for a manager spending millions of his pounds yet not even giving the signings he's asked for any game time .

Maybe chansiri is looking at the bigger picture... If we don't go up this season through the playoffs because let's face it, it's not going to be automatic...  What better way to start a new season amongst other signings (hopefully) than with a proven, match fit, pre season ready striker...

2 hours ago, Bluey9 said:

We would be much better signing Houlrahane, what's the point in having all these strikers, when there's no service 

exactly spot on ,houlrahane is a class player 3 million 28k a wk get it done Rhodes 10 million 60k a wk and no service and does nothing outside of box don't bother. middlesborough had our pants down with reach ,they are deluded if they think someone will give em 10 million and pay a player 60k a wk who hardly played in 12 months.

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

exactly spot on ,houlrahane is a class player 3 million 28k a wk get it done Rhodes 10 million 60k a wk and no service and does nothing outside of box don't bother. middlesborough had our pants down with reach ,they are deluded if they think someone will give em 10 million and pay a player 60k a wk who hardly played in 12 months.

Where does the 60k per week figure come from ?

3 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

It would be bonkers signing Rhodes, when we lack pace, width and need to bring in 3 or 4 players of quality not just one. I think Rhodes would be wasted in our current set up, plus he's not in form or playing regular. He gets goals but we've got Hooper and Winnall, and Forestieri, it's the negative tippy tappy tactics and lack of pace holding us back, protecting our weak full backs/wing backs nullifying our ability to attack teams. Another striker, no matter how good, won't rectify our width; pace, height or our negative set up issues. We should only bring him in, if we rectify all the other problem areas and weaknesses in the team.

We don't lack pace or width