Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Unfortunately, I doubt very much we'll be getting Hourihane. They're talking about 30K-a-week wages now, and the fee's gone up to the best part of £3 million. Add to that the fact that Hourihane wants to go to Villa, and that Barnsley don't want to sell to us, the odds look extremely long. Undoubtedly Wednesday are looking elsewhere now, and probably have been doing for the best part of a week now. The Rhodes situation is probably completely separate from the midfield playmaker one, and is both/and rather than either/or. If we drop out of the top six in the coming weeks and don't look like getting back, then I think Carlos will be gone, and a new man brought in. We've got quality in this side but it's the tactics which are at fault. A new man will need as much talent at his disposal as possible, so it's the more the merrier if Chansiri is prepared to bring it in.

Fletcher is on £35-40k a week, what a waste.

Guest Copthorneowl
16 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

exactly spot on ,houlrahane is a class player 3 million 28k a wk get it done Rhodes 10 million 60k a wk and no service and does nothing outside of box don't bother. middlesborough had our pants down with reach ,they are deluded if they think someone will give em 10 million and pay a player 60k a wk who hardly played in 12 months.

13 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Where does the 60k per week figure come from ?

3 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Obviously just a complete guess...

Rhodes won't be on any more then 40k...

Guys the 60k a week might be a guess or might not, what's probably fair though is that as he cost Boro £12 million and I think we can safely assume he'll be on wages beyond anybody we've got in the squad. For that reason quite apart from his ability/limitations as people debate personally he's a big non runner for me.

With little other than the scraps our own strikers are living with he cannot really improve us so for that fact he'll eventually cause unrest with his (highest) wages therefore it's a no from me for the good of team spirit and the rest.

Guest wilyfox
8 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

Exactly 

We lack tactics to get the best out of a great bunch. Simple as 

What we lack is consistent form. 

I have no issues with the club bringing in Rhodes but I think we'd need to change our style somewhat to get the best out of him. He's not an outside of the box player and has tended to do well with a bigger guy next to him to take the workload. Not sure where that would leave Forestieri, maybe back out left? Would Carlos change his style?

2 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

I have no issues with the club bringing in Rhodes but I think we'd need to change our style somewhat to get the best out of him. He's not an outside of the box player and has tended to do well with a bigger guy next to him to take the workload. Not sure where that would leave Forestieri, maybe back out left? Would Carlos change his style?

I think he would/could

3 hours ago, Bluey9 said:
37 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Guys the 60k a week might be a guess or might not, what's probably fair though is that as he cost Boro £12 million and I think we can safely assume he'll be on wages beyond anybody we've got in the squad. For that reason quite apart from his ability/limitations as people debate personally he's a big non runner for me.

With little other than the scraps our own strikers are living with he cannot really improve us so for that fact he'll eventually cause unrest with his (highest) wages therefore it's a no from me for the good of team spirit and the rest.

We would be much better signing Houlrahane, what's the point in having all these strikers, when there's no service 

the 60k a wk figure what Rhodes is on is a guess but nobody moves for 12 million and gets 20k a wk ,I read he is on 60k a week but that don't mean its true .I cant be doing with these average players getting paid crazy wages is fletcher worth 35k+ a week? he has been bang average in the championship for that kind of wages you would expect him to be best player in league minus newcastle and villas players. we need much better recruitment ,what happened to scouts? what about looking for a type of player from Sweden or Denmark who could fit into the championship style of play not these Portuguese players who don't fit in .

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

exactly spot on ,houlrahane is a class player 3 million 28k a wk get it done Rhodes 10 million 60k a wk and no service and does nothing outside of box don't bother. middlesborough had our pants down with reach ,they are deluded if they think someone will give em 10 million and pay a player 60k a wk who hardly played in 12 months.

abdi was supposed to be class player and probably still is but he's no good to us how we set up ....hourihane unless we change how we play could possibly go the same way .i have no doubt that we have the players here to play a more expansive game and the strikers to cash in on it but whether that would get us any more points than we are getting now is debatable .

4 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

It would be bonkers signing Rhodes, when we lack pace, width and need to bring in 3 or 4 players of quality not just one. I think Rhodes would be wasted in our current set up, plus he's not in form or playing regular. He gets goals but we've got Hooper and Winnall, and Forestieri, it's the negative tippy tappy tactics and lack of pace holding us back, protecting our weak full backs/wing backs nullifying our ability to attack teams. Another striker, no matter how good, won't rectify our width; pace, height or our negative set up issues. We should only bring him in, if we rectify all the other problem areas and weaknesses in the team.

This x100

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

abdi was supposed to be class player and probably still is but he's no good to us how we set up ....hourihane unless we change how we play could possibly go the same way .i have no doubt that we have the players here to play a more expansive game and the strikers to cash in on it but whether that would get us any more points than we are getting now is debatable .

Good point.  I just think with the players we currently have we are more suited to a 4-3-3 or variation of.  This would allow us to play FF and Macmanaman either side of a central striker be it Winnall, Hooper or Fletcher.  We could then play Bannan, Hutchinson and Abdi in midfield.  Reach could then play left back ahead of Pudil or, Fox if he's the better LB.

I'm actually at the point now where, if we sign JR, I will actually question CC's recruitment priorities. Mainly because it doesn't matter who is stood up front (and Rhodes is right up there as far as Championship quality goes) nobody can score goals without the service.

We have the players that can do the job, we just need to give them the confidence, or the permission as far as Carlos is concerned, to go forward more than once every 10 minutes!