Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Will probably end up at Villa- seems they're trying to offload McCormack. Thing is, we're probably the perfect club to offload him to- but the mad Dr wouldn't sell us their 3rd choice left back, so surely he won't let us have RMc, will he?! 

They will still fancy they can close a 9 point gap over the next 19 games.

With Bruce outing RM publicly I doubt any team would take a punt on him especially with the wages he's on, I think the're stuck with him. 

2 minutes ago, Corneliusreeve said:

With Bruce outing RM publicly I doubt any team would take a punt on him especially with the wages he's on, I think the're stuck with him. 

Agreed, I can understand Bruce's anger with RM but publicly outing him will have greatly reduced the chances of anyone coming in for him & probably reduced the fee they'll get for him by about £3m or £4m.

£9m for Rhodes stinks of desperation. Can't see it but it gets you thinking who is actually identifying and signing players at Hillsborough? It's quite clear it's not Carlos given the players brought in. He's officially Head Coach and it's looking more and more that he simply picks the team from the players he's given.

3 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

£9m for Rhodes stinks of desperation. Can't see it but it gets you thinking who is actually identifying and signing players at Hillsborough? It's quite clear it's not Carlos given the players brought in. He's officially Head Coach and it's looking more and more that he simply picks the team from the players he's given.

Mr C is such a bad chairman then, giving his manager the best striker in the division. 

How dare he do this.

Just now, Sgt Wednesday said:

Mr C is such a bad chairman then, giving his manager the best striker in the division. 

How dare he do this.

But thats the thing a £9m Rhodes in my view isn't the final piece of the jig saw. Far from it. Better players needed in other key areas. surely it's the role of the coach to determine who he wants and the chairman to back him?

cant see Carlos having gone to Chansiri and said get me Buckley, Winnall, Jones, Fox and I'll get you promoted.

Don't think anyone would not like Rhodes but many not bothered at £9m when the team needs strengthening all round.

Its just ludicrous - Nuhiu, Joao, Bus, Hooper, Fessi, Fletcher, Winnall... Ok let's now try Rhodes. Maybe we need to focus on players that can improve the general quality of play and service to the front men whoever they may be. (Unless Rhodes is the tip of the iceberg and we have another £10m to spend!)

49 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Agreed, I can understand Bruce's anger with RM but publicly outing him will have greatly reduced the chances of anyone coming in for him & probably reduced the fee they'll get for him by about £3m or £4m.

It makes me wonder if he was like that at Fulham and they kept quite and got shut.

1 hour ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

I am the only one who thinks signing him is a big mistake ? Who do you play him with up front ?

The knock on effect of us getting him is you either play him and FF up front, or him and Hooper or him and Winnall. If you do, where does FF play, because you are not leaving him out of the starting line up.

If we are to match Boro's asking price, surely it would be more prudent to try and invest in a CB and CM, where we are light in replacements, rather than bringing in another striker, taking our strikers upto 7 in total.

I agree, he is not what we need. 

A decent RB, CM  and a winger would be what I was looking for. 

Not creating enough is the main problem. 

1 minute ago, Think tank said:

I agree, he is not what we need. 

A decent RB, CM  and a winger would be what I was looking for. 

Not creating enough is the main problem. 

Yep.

Signing Rhodes totally misses the point in terms of what we need as far as I'm concerned.

1 minute ago, Corneliusreeve said:

It makes me wonder if he was like that at Fulham and they kept quite and got shut.

Fulham want him on loan, he's probably angling to get back there. Villa may then look for a similar deal with Rhodes. I suppose Fulham might buy for a big discount, depends on their financial situation.

30 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

Poor Hooper or Winnall if true.

Who knows...maybe Pudil's Brighton performance was the last straw and CC is now thinking of Reach at LB with Fox as back up, FF on the LW and our strikers will be a pick of Winnall, Fletch, Hoops and Rhodes. 

*shrug*

I really hope we don't sign him cus I'm a bit skint at the moment. Between jobs and a bit short. What do you mean I don't have to buy him? Mr C is going to pay for it? Really? Oh sorry because reading this I thought I was going to have to. Ok let's get him then

Yep, I say go for it.

The rest of the team is more of a concern but assuming the boss man can afford it then we should buy players like this when they become available. The chances don't come around very often.

Edited by ruusowl

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

I am the only one who thinks signing him is a big mistake ? Who do you play him with up front ?

The knock on effect of us getting him is you either play him and FF up front, or him and Hooper or him and Winnall. If you do, where does FF play, because you are not leaving him out of the starting line up.

If we are to match Boro's asking price, surely it would be more prudent to try and invest in a CB and CM, where we are light in replacements, rather than bringing in another striker, taking our strikers upto 7 in total.

No you're not the only one matey, think there is quite a few of us who could find a lot of reasons not to without even touching the money box.

Must say looks like the club are still interested if so hope they play hardball on loan fee only.