Official January Transfer Window Thread

37 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Ross McCormack has been axed by Aston Villa manager Steve Bruce who has deemed the striker unfit to play.

Bruce confirmed post match that the Scottish forward has been continually missing training and the 30-year-old, who joined from Fulham in the summer for £12million.

McCormack has been disciplined and told he will not feature until his attitude improves.

Eyebrows were raised when the striker was left out of the squad and Bruce let rip after today's 2-2 draw with Preston.

He said: "McCormack is, in my opinion, not fit enough to play. He won't play unless his attitude towards training and missing training improves. If he continually keeps missing training then that's going to be the situation.

Meanwhile, last years slacker, Aiden McGeady, is turning in some eye catching performances on the wing for rivals Preston

Gets better by the minute........... 

Steve Bruce was involved in a furious stand-off with Ross McCormack on the striker’s own doorstep as the anger of Aston Villa ’s manager spilled over this week.

The club’s boss was involved in an incredible face-to-face confrontation with the Scot after he rang into the club saying he wasn’t available to train earlier this week.

Bruce has stood by McCormack, despite being upset with his fitness levels this season. He has already phoned in sick twice this season – and the Geordie was spitting mad at the level of his commitment.

So when the forward contacted Bodymoor Heath this week, Bruce was in no mood to compromise.

McCormack’s latest excuse was that he was unable to make training as the electric gates on his property would not open.

Bruce challenged his player, asking him to jump over the fence and to book a taxi in order to make training.

But McCormack responded by saying that they were going to be fixed and he would try to get to the club’s Bodymoor Heath training base.

Unfortunately for Villa’s £12m summer signing from Fulham, Bruce was not about to take ‘No’ for an answer.

He discovered where McCormack lived and drove around to his house. He then jumped over the fence and rang on the doorbell whereupon he let rip at the startled player.

McCormack was left out of Villa’s squad for the game against Preston North End yesterday.

And Bruce was in no mood for reconcilliation at the final whistle.

He said: “In my opinion, he’s not fit enough to play unless his attitude and record of missing training improves.

“If he keeps missing training like he does – then that will be the situation.

“He has just not turned off. The latest excuse was that his gates had stuck but he couldn’t jump over a fence that was four feet six inches high.

“There has been too much indiscipline at this club for way too long.

“Not in 20 years of management have I gone down this road of publicly shaming a player but I have to make a stand because I won't put up with it. Not on my watch.

“I ask only one thing. When I tell them they are in, everyone else is in. How can I pick him when he doesn’t want to come training?

“It’s happened more than once. Everyone can have an excuse for one occasion but when it is more than that I will not accept it.”

8 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Gets better by the minute........... 

Steve Bruce was involved in a furious stand-off with Ross McCormack on the striker’s own doorstep as the anger of Aston Villa ’s manager spilled over this week.

The club’s boss was involved in an incredible face-to-face confrontation with the Scot after he rang into the club saying he wasn’t available to train earlier this week.

Bruce has stood by McCormack, despite being upset with his fitness levels this season. He has already phoned in sick twice this season – and the Geordie was spitting mad at the level of his commitment.

So when the forward contacted Bodymoor Heath this week, Bruce was in no mood to compromise.

McCormack’s latest excuse was that he was unable to make training as the electric gates on his property would not open.

Bruce challenged his player, asking him to jump over the fence and to book a taxi in order to make training.

But McCormack responded by saying that they were going to be fixed and he would try to get to the club’s Bodymoor Heath training base.

Unfortunately for Villa’s £12m summer signing from Fulham, Bruce was not about to take ‘No’ for an answer.

He discovered where McCormack lived and drove around to his house. He then jumped over the fence and rang on the doorbell whereupon he let rip at the startled player.

McCormack was left out of Villa’s squad for the game against Preston North End yesterday.

And Bruce was in no mood for reconcilliation at the final whistle.

He said: “In my opinion, he’s not fit enough to play unless his attitude and record of missing training improves.

“If he keeps missing training like he does – then that will be the situation.

“He has just not turned off. The latest excuse was that his gates had stuck but he couldn’t jump over a fence that was four feet six inches high.

“There has been too much indiscipline at this club for way too long.

“Not in 20 years of management have I gone down this road of publicly shaming a player but I have to make a stand because I won't put up with it. Not on my watch.

“I ask only one thing. When I tell them they are in, everyone else is in. How can I pick him when he doesn’t want to come training?

“It’s happened more than once. Everyone can have an excuse for one occasion but when it is more than that I will not accept it.”

Great excuse that...sorry boss the gates Timmy millionaires mansion won't open. See you tomorrow  

If it were true about the Rhodes offer? Use the money instead to bring in a centre back like Mancienne, a quality box to box midfielder like Guedioura or Jackson Irvine and a pacy winger or striker. We could bring in around 3 quality players for the price of Rhodes, and improve the team in areas we need improving.

33 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Why do I get the feeling McCormack, never really wanted to go to villa.

Certainly behaving that way anyway.

Actually see it more the other way around, think Villa have realised he's not the player they thought he was and are now want him gone. Bruce going public about this smacks of the club trying to force him out.

I might be mistaken cos it was a fair long while ago but I think there were some issues at the time when McCormack was at Cardiff? If that's true and with what's gone on at Villa, along with his loss of form, I'm glad we missed out on him in hindsight, even though back at the time I thought someone like him would've been ideal for us. It's funny how things work out, although it's not related to Rhodes, I would avoid paying that much on a player out of form and not getting games, when we'd be best off spending that sort of money on 3 or 4 players that are in form.

11 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

Actually see it more the other way around, think Villa have realised he's not the player they thought he was and are now want him gone. Bruce going public about this smacks of the club trying to force him out.

Fulham reportedly made a loan bid for him but Villa want rid. I suspect that, unlike Middlesbrough they would be prepared to cut their losses. Imagine he's on a very high wage and, as we know too well, it's not easy to move players like this on for anything like they paid for him. 

7 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Always liked Westwood gets round the park similar to Lee 

Wanted us to sign him while he was in League Two with Crewe. Don't think he is doing well for Villa in quite a long time. He needs to leave to reignate his career.

However I would much preffer Chris Forrester from Peterborough. Would be better option then Bannan in that deep playmaking role, and would alow us to play Barry higher up the pitch where in my opinion he would be of a better use.