Kop Owl Gone

Change can be good and, in some cases, it can be bad.

This is hardly an excessive change, or a change that affects anything BUT our income. 

It can also be a temporary one. Sponsorships aren't forever, unless you're Presto.

Edited by FlyingOwl

Walking through the five arches down Herries Road used to send shivers down your spine - the wall of blue and the proud owl was pretty iconic.

Now it's plastered in black sheeting advertising a morally questionable firm - and there are some that are fine with all that? How can anyone claim it looks anything other than dreadful?

Just how desperate are we to get to the PL? How desperate are we to appease the new regime whatever they do?

I like to think I praise and criticise Chansiri and his regime in equal measures - constructive feedback is good - but it seems some are that terrified of losing him that they'll defend him to the hilt no matter what.

How would you feel if SWFC entered a partnership with a "morally questionable firm" but the outcome of that partnership directly contributed to a reduction in those matchday ticket prices you keep banging on about? 

People call companies like Zebra Claims "morally questionable" but wear clothing or sports gear that is allegedly made by forced/slave labour.  People aspire to high end mobile devices but there is some alarming things published about the treatment of people in production facilities for those items.  We drive cars or use transport that uses petrol and diesel but, again, there are some alarming things written about how oil companies acquire, maintain and control oil fields - both from a people and an environmental aspect.  Many companies and products have some sort of dark and dodgy association to them be that actual or moral. 

Sure, Zebra Claims could well be "ambulance chasers" but I can think of worse companies to be sponsored by. 

You say that you get shivers down your spine when viewing "blue cladded" Hillsborough through the Five Arches; I would ask you to consider if that thrill is based upon the aesthetics of the ground or the anticipation about what you will see when entering the stadium? My guess is that it is actually the latter.   

Change can be good and, in some cases, it can be bad.

This is hardly an excessive change, or a change that affects anything BUT our income. 

It can also be a temporary one. Sponsorships aren't forever, unless you're Presto.

lol

Commercially the club has been behind for years and giant strides need to be made.

Sometimes they will get things right, sometimes wrong, I think the new owners will admit they're still learning.

Having seen the improvements made across the club though I thing they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Bar changing us to red and white, yep

If we're not called Sheffield Wednesday and we're not playing in blue and white then it isn't the same club. Those two aspects are not negotiable - surely we can all agree on that?

As much as I love Hillsborough and as much as it is a part of our history - I wouldn't consider it treason to move to a new ground if it made sense.

But there are also little things that, while not as important as our name and colours, are still important to what makes up our club.

The finial above the South Stand for example - it's not crucial but it means Wednesday to me.

How would people feel about it being replaced by a massive advert for Wonga?

How would you feel if SWFC entered a partnership with a "morally questionable firm" 

Look no further than our own chairman, his family, and what TUF has been accused of....

Now I'm not saying that they have or haven't done anything.

But I find it ridiculous that fans are questioning the morals of a company sponsoring us & saying 'the money isn't worth it' when the morals of our own chairman and family are questioned by millions of green peace followers. And yet the moral compass preachers on here are fine for the club to be funded by him...just so long as he doesn't cover the Kop in further sponsorship to bring in more money?

Owlstalk lol 

What if this type of advertising enabled lower ticket prices next season?

Surely the people of such high moral integrity would refuse to attend.

Or maybe they would attend but insist on paying the 'full' price. ("Good day to you Mr Turnstile Operator; now I demand that you take the full £52 admission charge, oh yes, £52 and not a penny less, I read it in The Star, and then please direct me to the 'non-blood-money' seats at once young man.") 

Or maybe they would sit at their keyboard throughout every game posting that they are now the only True-TrueFan, and anyone who now attends, whether previously labelled a 'Part-Timer' or a 'TrueFan', is not really a fan at all. Then they would slag off Neehow, Newwotsits, Niahooioo  'Big Dave' (why can't the numpties learn to spell/say his name properly ffs!) because he only scored twice that match.  Then they would sign off with UTO and WAWAW. Unbelievable Jeff!

Wednesday fans: Competely bonkers since 1867.

Must be something in the pies!

lol

Surely the people of such high moral integrity would refuse to attend.

Or maybe they would attend but insist on paying the 'full' price. ("Good day to you Mr Turnstile Operator; now I demand that you take the full £52 admission charge, oh yes, £52 and not a penny less, I read it in The Star, and then please direct me to the 'non-blood-money' seats at once young man.") 

Or maybe they would sit at their keyboard throughout every game posting that they are now the only True-TrueFan, and anyone who now attends, whether previously labelled a 'Part-Timer' or a 'TrueFan', is not really a fan at all. Then they would slag off Neehow, Newwotsits, Niahooioo  'Big Dave' (why can't the numpties learn to spell/say his name properly ffs!) because he only scored twice that match.  Then they would sign off with UTO and WAWAW. Unbelievable Jeff!

Wednesday fans: Competely bonkers since 1867.

Must be something in the pies!

lol

Dem pukkas have got a lot to answer for

:duntmatter:

I agree with ,Kivo.

You have to be careful when little bits of a clubs history and tradition begin to be eroded. One small thing at a time may seem fine and then before you know it the make up of our football club has completely changed and you are not quite sure how it happened.

which little bit of our history does a banner erode other than some faded blue paint/rust ???? 

I don't think anyone has suggested that we shouldn't find more sponsorship or revenue. Those suggesting that either misunderstand or choose to point score. Questions raised relate to the nature of the sponsor (not just a banner but announced as "official partner" of a key institution of Sheffield), whether that makes for good PR or whether it just looks rubbish.

Most people aren't bothered, fair enough, everyone has opinions which is why it isn't all that surprising that some people will also question it -as if anyone here has never questioned the clubs actions on whatever level.

There are some pretty defensive and dismissive comments slating people for their "morals" (a bad thing?) or even "preaching" just because they don't like this latest step down the road. It wasn't so much of an issue when Milan turned the loans company down though because that was club stance to defend.

I can't speak for anyone else but it's not about protesting/not going (in answer to those who suggested those who weren't happy shouldn't go) it's not that big a deal. But i do think it's a shame that we and other clubs have to do this kind of thing amongst others to succeed (which isn't guaranteed) and IMO it looks poor regardless of the current state of the cladding.

Edited by Bluesteel