Sheffield Wednesday's bid for Conor Hourihane rejected

SWFC's bid for Barnsley captain Conor Hourihane has been rejected despite being well over the million pound mark.

Aston Villa are also bidding but Barnsley are negotiating hard to try and extend Hourihane's contract

Looks like they're not giving up on him easily.

Think their fans are putting pressure on the board not to give in so easily to letting players go  now.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

SWFC's bid for Barnsley captain Conor Hourihane has been rejected despite being well over the million pound mark.

Aston Villa are also bidding but Barnsley are negotiating hard to try and extend Hourihane's contract

Looks like they're not giving up on him easily.

Think their fans are putting pressure on the board not to give in so easily to letting players go  now.

“Barnsley have been good to me and I feel I have been good to them. It is up to the club to see how far they want to push it. I’m open-minded. It would be silly not to be. It will come to a conclusion when it needs to but, first and foremost, we need to keep winning games,both in the Championship and the Cup.”

Linky

of course depends how badly we want him which I think we do with lee being out and abdi wont get a game.  At the moment with bannan and hutch in the middle its like were playing with two defensive midfielders so winnall playing up top maybe pointless because he thrives off decent passes through the middle I.E. from Hourihane.

These days money talks, get it sorted wednesday. 

Now Conor come on son get your 'sen here. We have a great chance of promotion with a good manager and a chairman with ambition. Or you can go to villa who are 10 points behind and are still finding their feet or even worse stay at Barnsley who will struggle to compete with the stronger teams in this division especially when they let there players go for a pittance. 

Come to the light my son, don't let the darkness influence you. 

Barnsley should realise that fans will take all sorts of crap from their club and still turn up week in week out. The might moan but they always do that anyway.

They can't offer him the wages we or Villa can so he either goes now and they get a few quid and add ons or he goes in the summer and they get nothing. They should be sensible and sell him.

Put it like this Bannan nor Hutchinson are going to dropped for Hourihane so all it would mean is Reach going left back and Bannan left midfield. Do we want to disrupt the the balance of the team.

Think we will go after him. but can't imagine Carlos is going to be telling him he will be first name on the team sheet for us.

This may influence his decision a little.

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

He's their captain and has probably learnt from the Winnall thing. To be fair, Winnall completely pied them off and if it was us we wouldn't be happy with him. 

Hourihane is perhaps going about his exit (if it happens now) in a more diplomatic manner.

Winnall did the logical thing, he has cashed in on his hard work and has probably set his family up for life, if he makes the right decisions with the money he can earn. 

It's more down to Barnsley not being capable of paying higher wages which I do have some sympathy with.  But Winnall is getting his priorities right in looking after his career and his family.  Who would do anything different? 

17 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

When he realises we will be quadrupling his wages he'll do a Payet.

I reckon he already knows that is the cas. I'm glad he isn't doing a Payet because that is a bobbar character for any person. He needs to get a grip, if WH don't wanna sell then he should flipping play as he is getting paid to do so. 

40 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Chuck McGugan in, that'll decrease the wage bill and sweeten the deal for them. Job done.

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

no brainer to chuck McGugan in. Pay a bit of his wages if necessary

McGugan is on c.£15k a week if you believe all the talk, and Hourihane is on more like half that. As Ellis says, only way we'd be able to do it is if we offer to pay say £8k of McGugan's wages for the duration of his new contract at Barnsley, as they can't afford him on their own. Add on McGugan actually has to want to go there... I really can't see it happening unfortunately.

Fear Barnsley would just see McGugan as an expensive McGuffin.