Sheffield Wednesday's bid for Conor Hourihane rejected

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Put it like this Bannan nor Hutchinson are going to dropped for Hourihane so all it would mean is Reach going left back and Bannan left midfield. Do we want to disrupt the the balance of the team.

Think we will go after him. but can't imagine Carlos is going to be telling him he will be first name on the team sheet for us.

This may influence his decision a little.

God I hope you are wrong.

I hoped Lee's injury might see two wingers from now until May, We are playing with an anchor round our neck with 3 CMs.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

So as I said, Winnall has acted differently to Hourihane because he wanted to leave Barnsley asap and come here, told them as much and got the deal done in a matter of days.

If Hourihane is intending to leave he is doing it differently. Perhaps for his own reasons, but he seems to be being more diplomatic.

As seen in the summer, had one of our key players done the same as Winnall I doubt there would be a general sense of "fair enough" even if there was a release clause or they just wanted to move on. I'm not saying that its right, but there would be a negative reaction just the same.

Quite sure your right about if it had been one of our players the fans on here would have kicked up a fuss but to me for the wrong reasons.  

Both players are right in what they have chosen to do just taken different paths thats all.

1 hour ago, prowl said:

Barnsley should realise that fans will take all sorts of crap from their club and still turn up week in week out. The might moan but they always do that anyway.

They can't offer him the wages we or Villa can so he either goes now and they get a few quid and add ons or he goes in the summer and they get nothing. They should be sensible and sell him.

Or they give him a new contract then sell him in the summer for more.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Put it like this Bannan nor Hutchinson are going to dropped for Hourihane so all it would mean is Reach going left back and Bannan left midfield. Do we want to disrupt the the balance of the team.

Think we will go after him. but can't imagine Carlos is going to be telling him he will be first name on the team sheet for us.

This may influence his decision a little.

I really hope you are wrong, as good as he has been for us, for us to improve and move on to the next level, Bannan needs to drop out of the team.

1 minute ago, coreyswfc said:

They might end up stuck with a player on a higher wage they can't afford. And no one is guaranteed to buy.

He might break his leg or something and become temporarily unsellable, but otherwise I can't imagine they'd struggle to move him on. So I guess it's just up to them to see what they can offer within a safe financial structure. 

Basically ignore the 2000s Wednesday model of vastly overpay them and then let them leave for nowt. 

Money talks.

Barnsley are clearly throwing handfuls of bait out hoping to get bids from other clubs. (More acceptable clubs in the eyes of their support)

The Winnall situation and the fallout from it has probably affected the chances of us doing the deal early massively.

But it doesn't matter if the player and his agents and Barnsley FC get in the best spin doctors and speech writers for their Website, twitter feeds or anything else in trying to calm the waters.....If ours remains the best offer on the table at the end of play it will be accepted.

17 minutes ago, Think tank said:

I really hope you are wrong, as good as he has been for us, for us to improve and move on to the next level, Bannan needs to drop out of the team.

Won't happen under Carlos.

If we signed the best 4 midfielders in the world.

Bannan would play left back for us.

He is a Carlos player.

2 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

“Barnsley have been good to me and I feel I have been good to them. It is up to the club to see how far they want to push it. I’m open-minded. It would be silly not to be. It will come to a conclusion when it needs to but, first and foremost, we need to keep winning games,both in the Championship and the Cup.”

Linky

We all know the dingles cannot offer him the wages us or villa can . I just cant see him signing a new contract there. 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

We all know the dingles cannot offer him the wages us or villa can . I just cant see him signing a new contract there. 

Your'e probably right but reading between the lines their CEO Linton Brown was fired for not doing the required succession planning. Now they have lost out on Morsy, a player that they thought was in the bag, and no plan B. On top of that 'Hecky' is left doing the transfer negotiations as well as coaching, which is bound to slow things up. Can see them holding on the CH for as long as they can, even if only to give themselves a bit of breathing space.

Just now, HarrowbyOwl said:

“Barnsley have been good to me and I feel I have been good to them. It is up to the club to see how far they want to push it. I’m open-minded. It would be silly not to be. It will come to a conclusion when it needs to but, first and foremost, we need to keep winning games,both in the Championship and the Cup.”

Linky

Just now, Beholder said:

Interesting. 

My guess is he is being persuaded to sign on better terms for this season but with a release clause for the summer so Barnsley can get someone else then.

These sound like plausable resons as to why its not a done deal yet, CH wants to be professional and respects what Barnsley have done for him therefor is not demanding to leave.

This allows them to get the best deal for the club or an offer of a new contract is on the table with a clause to sell in the summer and get 2-3 million.

This new contract shuts the fans up and when they do sell they can tell the fans the money was too good to turn down and it will be re-invested. Everyones happy

CH may not be the type of player (refreshing if so) to demand a transfer or see out his contract and screw them over and go for free allowing him to do a Fletcher and agree a big financial package with his new club.

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

Or they give him a new contract then sell him in the summer for more.

He knows they can't offer wages that compete with us or Villa, if they do it's obvious they will sell him first chance they get. In that case as a player it would be in his interest not to sign a new contract because if he is a free agent in the summer he will get a better deal from any club that signs him if there is no fee involved. In effect he could demand a signing on fee similar to the transfer fee now being discussed or he could demand even higher wages.

On the other hand he might take the higher wages from us or Villa and a long contract now. If he waits until the summer and gets a career ending injury in the next few months he could end up with nothing.

Here's the link for those that are asking:

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/441441/barnsleys-conor-hourihane-keeps-his-focus-as-aston-villa-and-­sheffield-wednesday-battle-for-irish-midfielders-signature/?CMP=spklr-_-default-_-TWITTER-_-IrishSunSport-_-20170117-_-779739343

I think the following from his supposed quote is telling:

"It is up to the club to see how far they want to push it. I’m open-minded. It would be silly not to be."

He's basically saying to Barnsley, you want me then show me the money. He knows they won't be able to give him what he wants unless they drastically change their policy which the Morsy deal falling through may do.

At the same time it's his bargaining tool for any possible move as he's telling us & Villa that if we don't act quick we may miss out.

IMG_4884.JPG