Sheffield Wednesday's bid for Conor Hourihane rejected

TBH Barnsley are trying to hang on to him because they're trying for a better deal and they need him to play a few more matches, if possible, now that Morsy has decided to stay at Wigan.

The fact that Wednesday have actually bid is interesting as there is no mention of a Villa bid, that was supposed to have quadrupled CH's earnings. I can only conclude they didn't actually make a solid offer.  Can't see CH accepting a new deal from BFC, they simply can't compete on wages. 

Just now, DuttyTeabags said:

I don't understand why they let Winnall go on the cheap when they are playing hardball with Connor?

Same circumstance.  Lots of interest,  early in window.  Could have held out? 

They're saying we gone tapped Sam up. Add on his rumoured disharmony with the fans sometimes and it was seen as a quick and easy out of what could end up being a very messy situation.

Conor Hourihane seems to have a more 'professional' approach and doesn't want to become a little contract rebel refusing to play. Plus for them to let their club captain go for peanuts to what they perceive to be as one of their biggest local rivals... that's a horrific fallout. Barnsley need to show a sign of strength in this one, and they're being helped by a player that has come out publicly to say he will play for Barnsley for as long as is feasible in the current situation

2 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I don't understand why they let Winnall go on the cheap when they are playing hardball with Connor?

Same circumstance.  Lots of interest,  early in window.  Could have held out? 

Mates told me Winnall was dogger at Blackpool in the cup, once he'd had his head turned, he just wanted to come & play for us. No point in them trying to hang on to him.

Slightly different with CH in that he's club captain & playing well. This will probabobly help him get a better deal for himself & more money for the club. Once bitten, kind of scenario.

IMO the biggest deciding factor on this deal going through is the player himself.

We've made a solid bid to show serious interest. I'm sure that bid will rise according to how much resistance Barnsley show but ultimately if the offer is too strong for Barnsley to reject and the player wants to come it will happen. SWFC are a club on the up and players want success and the wages that success brings.

As in most cases, the fans being p1ssed off is just an unfortunate by-product of a football club doing business to balance the books.

30 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Winnall did the logical thing, he has cashed in on his hard work and has probably set his family up for life, if he makes the right decisions with the money he can earn. 

It's more down to Barnsley not being capable of paying higher wages which I do have some sympathy with.  But Winnall is getting his priorities right in looking after his career and his family.  Who would do anything different? 

I don't disagree with that. Winnall has made the right move and anyone would make it for the money.

But he did force their hand and pied them off. Hourihane could do the exact same thing but he hasn't yet.

7 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

money talks

He will go

Yep... cue his agent who will drive through the best offer possible, be it from us , Villa etc... I'd be astounded if he stayed with Dingles, despite him saying all the right things at present. Come on Weds, final piece of jigsaw for me. 

Meantime, Mr C must be thinking "Yeah, whatever Barnsley. When you've finished pishing about, we can get this done at last".

Money always talks. It's the way of the World. It's why the big Premiership clubs always manage to pick up any aspiring new talent in the lower leagues. We're not there yet, but we have enough to keep both Barnsley and Houhrihane happy in terms of dosh.

Inevitable conclusion. Just a matter of when.

Edited by theowlsman

Just now, Bluesteel said:

I don't disagree with that. Winnall has made the right move and anyone would make it for the money.

But he did force their hand and pied them off. Hourihane could do the exact same thing but he hasn't yet.

He didn't force anything, under his contract agreed by both parties he is well within his rights to trigger that clause.  

Hourihane at the moment has decided not to trigger that clause.  That's his choice.  

Also if Barnsley thought the players were not performing then they would have made them available in the summer.  The players took a gamble and for Winnall for the moment it has paid off.  

Nobody forced anyone to do anything. 

13 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Money will win. Who pays the most followed by wages will get him. Don't think Barnsley can compete on that front with the likes of Villa and us.

Totally agree with you.....money will talk at the end of the day. We, Villa or , some other big club will treble his Barnsley wage, even with them giving him an increase. Footballers play football for money.

My question is..... is he the midfield player we need ? Yes of course CC will decide and his is the only voice that matters. Don't get me wrong Hourihane is a very good player and deserves his plaudits.

I watch Wednesday game after game lose out in aerial battles in midfield, at our own throw ins and defending both corners or free kicks and think we need some more height in the centre area of our team. Hutchinson apart, we lack the necessary height to fight for balls against some real giants in other teams, that would enable us to regain possession more easily than now and help our closing down of other teams. Certainly any new midfielder needs passing skills, ball retention, guile and have goals in them , but we need height and fight in there too, which imo,  Hourihane does not have. I would not be unhappy if we do not sign him and pay somebody else big money for a player who is not the real deal for us.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

SWFC's bid for Barnsley captain Conor Hourihane has been rejected despite being well over the million pound mark.

Aston Villa are also bidding but Barnsley are negotiating hard to try and extend Hourihane's contract

Looks like they're not giving up on him easily.

Think their fans are putting pressure on the board not to give in so easily to letting players go  now.

i thought barnsley told us we could help ourselves to their players? maybe we're just doing it anyway

10 minutes ago, Holmes said:

He didn't force anything, under his contract agreed by both parties he is well within his rights to trigger that clause.  

Hourihane at the moment has decided not to trigger that clause.  That's his choice.  

Also if Barnsley thought the players were not performing then they would have made them available in the summer.  The players took a gamble and for Winnall for the moment it has paid off.  

Nobody forced anyone to do anything. 

So as I said, Winnall has acted differently to Hourihane because he wanted to leave Barnsley asap and come here, told them as much and got the deal done in a matter of days.

If Hourihane is intending to leave he is doing it differently. Perhaps for his own reasons, but he seems to be being more diplomatic.

As seen in the summer, had one of our key players done the same as Winnall I doubt there would be a general sense of "fair enough" even if there was a release clause or they just wanted to move on. I'm not saying that its right, but there would be a negative reaction just the same.