Your favourite badge, and why? New owner, new badge?

I do enjoy a nice coat of arms and club badge, but my favourite all-time with Wednesday is of course the iconic owl from 70 to 84.

So simple yet stylish, really work of art making that owl figure that everyone associates with Sheffield Wednesday - still. Would absolutely not mind us going back to that badge again; not every club needs a badge with a shield/crest as background.

As others have pointed out, there are multiple opinions in this thread, but only one correct answer. 

Something that occurred to me recently though is that when the badge was changed in the 90s it seemed to create very little kickback or even discussion among fans, compared to the more recent change which has prompted a lot of discussion. 

I wonder why that is?

Even as a lad who had grown up with (and drawn - hundreds if not thousands of times in school books and on steamed up bus windows) the iconic owl, the change barely registered with me at the time. I think I was too busy being appalled by that kit design to focus on the badge. 

I guess back then there were no forums or social media so maybe any disdain or discussion would have been less obvious, but certainly none of my mates, family, nor people sat around me at Hillsborough seemed bothered by it. And it went from iconic owl to some half baked monstrosity back then, whereas this time at least it's reverted to something with heritage value. Hmmm. 

Any road, gi' iconic owl back. 

• Like 2

Whatever badge we get next, I just hope the colour is right. Royal Blue.

Any lighter shade of blue cheapens the look in my book. 
See below. Only three of the badges get the colour right. A beautiful, rich, dark, imperious and indeed royal shade of blue.

The rest are too light, unless we're trying to match the colour of the Kop these days.

IMG_7387.jpeg.d47a0223d927225df981b4cd2b882dc7.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hodgyowl said:

This, just hope it gets back on a shirt before I peg out, it's brings back so many great memories for me.

Sheffield-Wednesday-FC-1970-1984.png

Best by far. 

Rather ironically, whilst most companies in recent times have gone through the process of modernising their logos by producing simplified versions of their brand logos, we’ve gone the other way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buck Rogers said:

Whatever badge we get next, I just hope the colour is right. Royal Blue.

Any lighter shade of blue cheapens the look in my book. 
See below. Only three of the badges get the colour right. A beautiful, rich, dark, imperious and indeed royal shade of blue.

The rest are too light, unless we're trying to match the colour of the Kop these days.

IMG_7387.jpeg.d47a0223d927225df981b4cd2b882dc7.jpeg

I hate to have to tell you this...but one of the badges you've circled isn't blue...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Concrete Owl said:

84 to 95. The current one. Or this…..

IMG_0604_Original.png

Nice work

Absolutely Love the idea of the finial sat atop the shield, ties in the heritage from the stadium well and the Yorkshire rose included nicely at the bottom

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EasyPeez said:

As others have pointed out, there are multiple opinions in this thread, but only one correct answer. 

Something that occurred to me recently though is that when the badge was changed in the 90s it seemed to create very little kickback or even discussion among fans, compared to the more recent change which has prompted a lot of discussion. 

I wonder why that is?

It wasn't ripped from the seats in The Kop or from above the South Stand and wasn't removed from merchandise in general so it never really felt like it was going away. Chansiri made it very clear the badge was going this time around and don't expect he'll ever come to his sense and bring it back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Onge said:

It wasn't ripped from the seats in The Kop or from above the South Stand and wasn't removed from merchandise in general so it never really felt like it was going away. Chansiri made it very clear the badge was going this time around and don't expect he'll ever come to his sense and bring it back.

Do you wonder where this decision came from? Not you personally, but generally. 

All fans love the iconic owl, but there must have been a discussion about the badge when Chansiri took over, and the decision was the current badge. Strange. 

15 hours ago, onslow said:

Nice work

Absolutely Love the idea of the finial sat atop the shield, ties in the heritage from the stadium well and the Yorkshire rose included nicely at the bottom

Not my work. Someone else did it . It’s from a couple of years ago.

I like the way the Owl looks like it could rip your eyes out. It means business. But yes also the nod to our heritage as well.