Your favourite badge, and why? New owner, new badge?

33 minutes ago, Neal M said:

The shield ruins it though.

Clutters up the minimalist design.

Think the shield was added so it could be trademarked for club merchandise and to stop the fake goods market that used to sell outside the ground on matchdays

Just now, onslow said:

Think the shield was added so it could be trademarked for club merchandise and to stop the fake goods market that used to sell outside the ground on matchdays

I’ve heard that before.

I guess I don’t understand why the stand alone owl couldn’t be trademarked. 

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I'd say there's room for both. The current badge has the latin motto on it, which doesn't really go with the modern stencil type owl.

We could keep the current for heritage reasons, used by the club in various capacities.

Move back to having the modern badge on the shirts

We've got the E-sports team swooping owl, and I think there's room for another for the Young Owls.

Be great to see a proper Club branding pack, confining the correct colour blue's to use where and when  (the stadium for example looks like a patchwork quilt of different shades) 

I guess another one for the Prem league ready list

I like them all. This is the beauty of football kits and badges - they change. Whether they are good or bad is subjective.  

Some kits (and badges) are more iconic than others, probably based on success on the pitch. Whereas some probably just remind us of some dark times! 

I like the current badge, always have. It’s old school. However my favourite is  the stencil owl, mainly because I grew up with it. 

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Why do people think the shield is stupid?

The minimalist owl works so well because of its minimalism.

Clutter it up and you lose that.

Edited by Neal M
  • Like 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

11 hours ago, maidstoneowl said:

Will always be in love with the 1970-1995 era designs - quite possibly the boldest, most memorable football club badge ever?

Nice and easy to draw in the back pages of those school exercise books during double-science/French classes!

7 years in with the latest one now, wonder when/what the next version might look like?

Which got me thinking, as an amateur/student from memory? (i.e. not a graphic design/branding company) designed the 1970 one, can any of you cool kidz with your fancy graphics software come up with a decent new (and maybe next) club badge/crest?

And you older/comedy lot, well it goes without saying, get drawing and drop your well considered and beautifully designed offerings in as well?!  🦉

Screenshot_20240321_080328_X.jpg.2143f3706ab24cdae51111c6131bcb3d.jpg

70/84 for me . If the current one was Wednesday blue and not man city blue . It would come a close 2nd

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 58-70 and current badge format, but the 70-84 badge is in a different league altogether.

Please bring it back, it's instantly recognisable, iconic and it absolutely screams WEDNESDAY!

Edited by Utah Owl

As someone who was born in 95, I can only really say the 1999 to 2016 one. I know some hated the shield around it and I can understand that but it was just the badge. It's so far ahead of what we have now.

Made this point in a previous thread, now people see our badge and don't instantly recognise it as a Sheffield Wednesday badge and that is an utter shame.

I'd have no issue with the 70's one coming back as a future badge. It's smart, it makes sense, people would recognise it for what it is.