First Wednesday player you ever met

Peter Eustace. As a young kid playing football in Stocksbridge Peter turned up and did a training stint with us. He lived local and was a really nice bloke. I remember chanting on the lop a couple of years later “Eustace for England”. Don’t think he made it but he was a great player for us, maybe not so West Ham.

On 20/03/2024 at 23:34, Kentowl said:

An old lad saw me in a wednesday hat one rainy night down here a year or 2 back. Told me that Bob is still involved to some degree in Dover FC. Knows him well and said what a lovely guy he is. 

He is mate, always had a chat before he went down to the ground, he was a good keeper as well kentowl.

First one I met was Mel Sterland, was chatting to him outside Oakwell in about ‘81 I think. Nice bloke, was asking about our house move (my mum knew a few people involved with the club).

Also a few players (Chapman, Hodge, Lyons, Marwood) turned up at my sisters birthday party (she worked there at the time) only remember speaking with Hodge and Marwood, don’t remember much by way of conversation, just an awkward teenager fanboying 😂

I shook hands and said “Thank you” to Howard Wilkinson when he presented me with a trophy at school, if that counts 😂

Edited by BrizzleOwl
Usual typo

Living In Nottingham up Until the playoff final I had only met them either after they left us Atkinson or before they joined Crossley , Walker and Jemson. 

Also met John Harkes a few times after he left us whilst at Derby but that’s only because he was neighbours with my. aunt and uncle. 

Jack Charlton when he sat in the North stand before he signed for us, we then went to the Alpha Hotel for a drink afterwards and I met Bronco Lane. Didn't really have a clue who either of them were at the time.

Meggo and Hodge both together on the Noah’s Ark funfair ride  just outside Plymouth’s ground in 76/77. Because they were onboard the operator cranked the speed up to warp factor 9 and we nearly fell off. 

Scream if you want to go faster??

I nearly shatte mysen!

Had two fairly unremarkable encounters with Owls aces:  Dejan Stefanovich sauntering through Meadowhall with his glamorous wife and on another occasion Kevin Pressman and his young family sat across from me in Pizza Hut Valley Centretainment.

My other amusing one was playing 5 a side up at concorde sports centre with work circa 2010. One of the guys in our sister company was Tony Crane's brother and Tony was meant to be making the numbers up. Much to my disappointment though;  he'd forgotten his boots so we had 4 v 5 while Tony sat watching in the rain while chain smoking a full pack of cigs! 

Phil King used to live down road from me, I used to deliver Sheffield Star to him evening edition. I once knocked on his door and he answered so I just stood there and didn't say anything to him. I was too intimidated by him 😆 I was only 11. Then I used to knock a door run his house (sorry Phil) to show my mates that he lived there and that became a nightly thing 😁 he definitely should have twatted me! 

• Haha 2

On 20/03/2024 at 14:21, Gob_Bluth said:

Mel Sterland in 86 or 87, had my photo taken with him at an open day at Hillsboro

Think my mum still has it somewhere

He lived on McKenzie Crescent at Burncross for a while if my memory serves me well.

I met Tony Kay in the Sun Inn on South Street in the park district. I was friends with the landlords son. He came into the living room and bought us some pop and crisps. We were watching Match of the day. Spurs were on and the Owls were playing them the week after. I'll not tell you what he said about Dave Mackay. Those were the days. Uto

Not sure which was first but one of these

Gary Shelton - used to play footy on his back garden with his kids. 

Martin Hodge - lived close to him and he presented me with my managers player of the year at Dial house when I was a whipper snapper. 

also lived next door to Carl Bradshaw and David Hirst was there quite alot.