First Wednesday player you ever met

Carbone and Di Canio. They were doing a signing/promotion at the JD Sports in Meadowhall, it was when white boots first became a thing. Was in the que up for ages but I did get my 97/98 home shirt signed by them both so was worth it. They didn't really say much other than hello.

Edited by Ottewell84

Paul Bradshaw used to run the “ Pro Soccer Coaching” schools  locally after his retirement 

Once went on one as a kid. He would invite players to them.

Mark Smith , Chris Turner, amongst them 

One stood out as having loads of time for us all …. Ray Blackhall… lovely bloke

Ernie Moss was great too had loads of time for the kids

The 3 day school also included a trip to Wembley to look around the stadium. On the way there was a stop off at Nottingham Forest to meet the first million pound player Trevor Frances

The kids 10-12 year olds could ask him any question

I asked him why he didn’t sign for Wednesday instead of Forest 

Cant remember his answer but he must have taken note by signing for us later on😁

RIP Trev 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Kevin ' Ticker' Taylor .

I was signed up for one of those ' Junior Star ' football coaching courses in the summer by dad, they took place in Beeley Wood Park behind Winn Gardens.

He was great with us,  but Jack Charlton and Andy McCulloch were really not interested when they came to do some presentations. 

Problem was, I was about 7 -8 at the time, and was shortsighted but it hadn't been picked up, and I was also really not that good at football. Think we played a little tournament at the end and I never touched the ball 😆

9 hours ago, malcolm said:

Danny Cameron in the 70s, walking down Halifax Rd to the match and he was walking behind us.

I was at his wedding he married a friend of mine

3 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Kevin ' Ticker' Taylor .

I was signed up for one of those ' Junior Star ' football coaching courses in the summer by dad, they took place in Beeley Wood Park behind Winn Gardens.

He was great with us,  but Jack Charlton and Andy McCulloch were really not interested when they came to do some presentations. 

Problem was, I was about 7 -8 at the time, and was shortsighted but it hadn't been picked up, and I was also really not that good at football. Think we played a little tournament at the end and I never touched the ball 😆

That’s the problem its one of those “ never meet your heroes” things🤦‍♂️

i once met Megson . Wish I hadn’t 

He was presenting at a local football awards evening. He just didn’t seem interested

That said we all have bad days i suppose.. Footballers are human after all

That said I love threads like this with the little anecdotes.

Once played street football with Jeff King  as a young lad He used to live on Binstead Way.

Always remember him being really small

Funny what you remember as a kid  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have vague memories of seeing loads of Wednesday players in a Cafe before games probably 79/80. This, from memory, was most home games, because my mum used to take me in for a drink of pop. The cafe was located where the Alara B&B is on Penistone Road just before the kop and I am sure my mum said some of the players had digs there too. 

There used to be a seller on the grass bit before the B&B selling badges, scarves etc and I can remember bugging my mum for a badge which said "Bob Bolder cuts out more balls than the vet James Herriot" as he was my favourite player.  I was only 8ish and only knew the innocent side of the badge.  Anyway, Bob Bolder was in the cafe and he laughed and commented on my badge, but I was too shy to talk back to him lol. 

But my first proper Wednesday player memory was with David Grant, only an apprentice at the time. It was during an open day and a photographer asked my mum if they could borrow me for a photo for the Sheffield star.  I was whisked away and ended up in the boot room with a left boot shoved in my hand cleaning it.  That's got to be 76/77 ish. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Derek Dooley, I was around 14 and in the same fishing club, he was such a nice bloke, I use to help him carry his fishing tackle to his peg, I still have a silver tankard that he presented to me on the awards night for winning in the pairs match. 

3 minutes ago, EBRA said:

Derek Dooley, I was around 14 and in the same fishing club, he was such a nice bloke, I use to help him carry his fishing tackle to his peg, I still have a silver tankard that he presented to me on the awards night for winning in the pairs match. 

My Mate who did a bit work on his house says Derek Dooley was the nicest bloke he has ever met in over 30 years of being a tradesman . 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My uncle was good friends with several Palace players back in the '80s and '90s, especially Geoff Thomas, so he got us free tickets and a pass into the players' lounge at Selhurst Park for the game in April 1992 when we secured our place in the UEFA Cup. It was bittersweet because Palace's late equaliser meant we weren't in the title race any longer.

First player to come into the lounge after the game was Carlton Palmer, and he was absolutely fuming because Trevor Francis had decided to bring himself on as sub instead of someone more defensive to try to hold on for the win. Players who were particularly nice to me were David Hirst, Roland Nilsson and Danny Wilson. I got photos with a few players, and filled my autograph book.

The only exception was Paul Warhurst. When I asked him for his autograph he just looked down at me, sneered and walk off.

• Love 1

Growing up my Dad always took me to Jonny Quinns for my boots. Lovely bloke, always asked how my football was going and passed on advice. Of course big Gerry was there also.

• Like 1

Willie Henderson in the Bucanneer where he used to have his pre-match pint before jumping into a taxi at 2pm for Hillsborough...lovely fella. I played against Redfearn Froggatt when I played for the Pinegrove. The team he managed had no subs and when one of their players went off injured he came on. He must have been 45 or so but you couldn't get the ball off him 

• Love 2

45 minutes ago, Grants Left Boot said:

I have vague memories of seeing loads of Wednesday players in a Cafe before games probably 79/80. This, from memory, was most home games, because my mum used to take me in for a drink of pop. The cafe was located where the Alara B&B is on Penistone Road just before the kop and I am sure my mum said some of the players had digs there too. 

There used to be a seller on the grass bit before the B&B selling badges, scarves etc and I can remember bugging my mum for a badge which said "Bob Bolder cuts out more balls than the vet James Herriot" as he was my favourite player.  I was only 8ish and only knew the innocent side of the badge.  Anyway, Bob Bolder was in the cafe and he laughed and commented on my badge, but I was too shy to talk back to him lol. 

But my first proper Wednesday player memory was with David Grant, only an apprentice at the time. It was during an open day and a photographer asked my mum if they could borrow me for a photo for the Sheffield star.  I was whisked away and ended up in the boot room with a left boot shoved in my hand cleaning it.  That's got to be 76/77 ish. 

“Hot pies inside “

• Love 1