First Wednesday player you ever met

12 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Kevin ' Ticker' Taylor .

I was signed up for one of those ' Junior Star ' football coaching courses in the summer by dad, they took place in Beeley Wood Park behind Winn Gardens.

He was great with us,  but Jack Charlton and Andy McCulloch were really not interested when they came to do some presentations. 

Problem was, I was about 7 -8 at the time, and was shortsighted but it hadn't been picked up, and I was also really not that good at football. Think we played a little tournament at the end and I never touched the ball 😆

Tinker 

My first meet was not a player but a Manager.

My Uncle was into his shooting and game.  One Sunday while round playing with my Cousin prob aged about 7 my Uncle told us to get in the car and we were going to pick something up.

We went out into Countryside for what seemed ages and got to this Farmhouse.  A lady answered the door and we went into the kitchen and an old guy was sat at the table in a flat cap.  Yes, it was Big Jack.

My Uncle had gone to pick some pheasants (dead ones), off him.  Turns out he was one of his shooting contacts.

Remember Mrs Charlton getting me and my Cousin a lemonade.

• Like 3

May 1967 met the two Springett brothers. They were in Dublin for a charity game with qpr . Just as they were getting into car after the match I asked Ron when was he going to play for England again."Two old mate now "he laughed  Peter just grinned  and  off they went.

Met Derek Dooley after friendly pre-season in Dublin a few years later  Sunley and  Holsgrove were the players I remember from that day.

Happier times.

First was Bob Bolder, I almost bumped into him at the back of the South stand before or after a game. He was tall.

Graham Pugh, then retired, used to run a pub round the corner. Nice enough bloke, he didn't mind a 16 year old spotty me always chatting to his wife.

I met Waddle (and a few other players) in a take away in Dublin about 3am one morning in 1995. I was there for a stag do. Waddle was playing in Steve Staunton's testimonial later that day. He was a good laugh and chatted away with us for ages. 

13 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Bob bolder, he used to pop in to the butchers i worked in sat morning and pick up his meat and drop off some free tickets, lovely bloke.

An old lad saw me in a wednesday hat one rainy night down here a year or 2 back. Told me that Bob is still involved to some degree in Dover FC. Knows him well and said what a lovely guy he is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

I have mentioned this before, but no one seems as amazed as I am by it. I was on holiday reading a book about the history of the Hells Angels and when they start talking about the Dutch chapter they mention Orlando Trustful as he was friends with a kid who got into a spot of bother with the Hells Angels. I nearly spilt my beer when his name came up.

He was really down to earth and a nice guy. He didn't have to invite anyone. Out of all the footballers of the time, he was the only player to arrange to meet knowing I was Wednesday crazy, as my mum will have pointed out. I got a a signed shirt from Carbone, which was nice, of course. Waddle invited my mum in for fish and chips when he was running late. My mum wasn't bothered. How many of us would be pretty chuffed by that? 

• Like 1

Iain Hesford (RIP) 

I went to my first game in October 1984 and we beat Leicester 5-0 (Imre hat trick). As we had just got our tickets from the South Stand where the office was located then, Dad heard this bloke shout him  'Alright Peter!' It was Iain Hesford, he came over and said hello to my dad and he mentioned it was my first game aged 6. Dad used to look after his car insurance when he was at Blackpool (along with the majority of the squad) when we lived there so had a good relationship with alot of the players (inc Iain) really friendly bloke.

Shame he passed away far too young. 

WAWAW

• Like 2

Chapeltown ASDA shortly after 1991 final win - Pearson, Hirst and a couple of others I can't remember signing autographs. I can't remember the others because Pearson was massive and 14yo me was overawed by meeting Hirst. 

Not ever living in and around Sheffield, I am loving reading your stories of former players. I find it quite amazing hearing how down to earth and normal they are with some going the extra mile.

How times must have changed, players seem very distant from fans these days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wexowl said:

May 1967 met the two Springett brothers. They were in Dublin for a charity game with qpr . Just as they were getting into car after the match I asked Ron when was he going to play for England again."Two old mate now "he laughed  Peter just grinned  and  off they went.

Met Derek Dooley after friendly pre-season in Dublin a few years later  Sunley and  Holsgrove were the players I remember from that day.

Happier times.

Was in a queue at Sheffield Midland Station waiting to get on the football special and the uniformed police officer in attendance was Peter Springett. RIP.

Met a few since the early 90s. Meeting Waddle was a highlight. Seen both sides of Hirsty - most of the time he's been the legend you'd hope him to be but once he let himself down a bit, but we all have our bad days. 

Special mention - Des Walker: he'd had a few but had a great chat with him. 

Lee Bullen: genuinely decent guy. 

Peter Shirtliff: proper nice bloke

Ross Wallace: very friendly.

Shez: really down to earth 

Non-SWFC: met Bryan Robson in late 80s while he was at Man U. Absolute ar53hole.

Non-football: Jimmy White: nob.

Alex Higgins in Shakey: legend.

Probably John Quinn when my mum took me to his shop for my first Wednesday kit. Assuming that was him in there. I was only about 6. 

But if not, then my first was Mel Sterland. He used to live on our street when I was a kid and although I never saw him out and about other than in his car, I desperately wanted to meet him.  

One Sunday afternoon - the world snooker final was on the telly I remember that - I went and stood outside his house for 15 minutes staring at him watching the tv 😂👀. He got up, opened the front door and glared at me so I trotted up his path and asked for his autograph. He obliged, bless him and off I went.

I’m still embarrassed about it now FFS. If you’re reading this Mel, I’m sorry mate. 

• Haha 2

Quite a few over the years.

1) Martin Hodge - 6/10

2) Andy Blair - 2/10 - rude

3) Glynn Snodin - 7/10 - plenty of time for 10 year old me.

4) Lee Chapman - 1/10 Knob. Arrogant.

5) Carbone - 9/10 - very likeable chap. Sent us a bottle of wine to the table in Rossi's after I'd pestered him in the bogs.

6) Danny Sonner - 2/10 - Big time charlie. Journeyman who thought the club was beneath him

7) Des Walker - 3/10 - Drunk and obnoxious when I met him. Was funny for a bit but wore thin.

8 Steve Nicol - 4/10 - remember asking him about a match we lost and he said "You don't come out on a saturday night and talk about your job so I've got no interest in talking about mine". Fair enough I suppose.

9) Alan & Stephen Quinn - Alan was alright but could be a bit gobby. Stephen was just a bit weird.

10) Geary - 7/10 - Nice lad at the time. Ruined it all.

11) Liam Palmer - 10/10 - without a shadow of a doubt the most decent human being you'll ever meet.

• Like 2