First Wednesday player you ever met

When I was a kid Greg Fee did the trophy handouts at our end of year awards. Think this was 87  or 88 so I would have been 11. Pretty sure I have some old blurry photos of me and him somewhere.

Didn’t meet any Owls as a kid.

But Dem Blades trained at our school when they had some financial issues. 86 ish?

Some top lad vandalized Porterfield’s car.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Living in Vere Rd we met them all the time. We used to play football in the old Lepping lane turnstile and use the turnstiles as the posts. The players would often have a kick about with us as they walked down from the training ground and cafe .... And Park Hotel. 🤣

Three were all good with us. But a stand out was Jimmy Mullen. 

• Like 1

Never met any but I did spend a lot of time with Charlie Wain, an esteemed Wednesday scout. He used to come to Scilly on holiday and I’d take him fishing. It was better than meeting a player as Charlie knew them all (70’s, 80’s era) and he had me enthralled with tales of my heroes shenanigans. You learn a lot when there’s just two of you in a boat for three or four hours.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

My Mum was a teacher at Wharncliffe Side School for a while in the 1970s and she took me to a couple of presentation events there - Len Badger was the guest at the first (boooo!) and Gerry Young at the second one I went to -  I got both their autographs! 

I first met Tony Kay, early in 1961 when I was 7 yrs old. My parents ran The Bradway Hotel pub immediately behind which was the recreation ground , where Lowedges used to play in a Sunday league.  It was a real shock to see Tony Kay actually playing for them in one Sunday morning match.  After the game he was sitting with some mates on a stool round the bar enjoying a pint.   My dad introduced me to him.  He was much more interested in his mates and his beer than me but he did smile and say hello.

Just shows how lax football was in those days.  Imagine the furore today of a top pro footballer played in a Sunday game for a laugh and favour and then sat in the boozer quaffing pints!!  But we all know that Kay was a very naughty boy!!😊😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Redfern Froggate......used to live on Lenox Road, we lived just around the corner on Dixon Road.  He introduced me to following the Owls by taking a "young me" to reserve matches. (with parents permission of course😆)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, longreach said:

Redfern Froggate......used to live on Lenox Road, we lived just around the corner on Dixon Road.  He introduced me to following the Owls by taking a "young me" to reserve matches. (with parents permission of course😆)

Our little gang were cheeky enough to knock on Redfern door to get his autograph which he gave

Jackie Thompson  lived in Wynyard Road and his lad was one of our young gang

• Like 1