First Wednesday player you ever met

I think it was 1966. A 7 yrs old me and my teenage brother were hanging around the south stand looking for autographs when Wilf Smith appeared and told us that everyone was at the training ground in Chapeltown. Gave us both a lift there and back ( imagine that happening these days?). Got autographs and at the end of training they let us have a kick about with them. Ron Springett wasn't as good as people make out. I sent him the wrong way with a penalty that only just made it across the line 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4

Graham Pugh lived in lodgings on the next block from us just off Middlewood Road. He'd regularly walk past our house to get to where he was going.

I was about nine at the time and I plucked up courage to say "Hello".

Seemed a decent bloke,always had time to say hello, but can you imagine a PL player living in B&B lodgings these days? 

Over the years, several other popular players lived quite locally to Hillsborough. Gerry Young and Johnny Quinn shared a sportswear and trophy shop at the bottom of Rockley Road. John Pearson also lived just up the road from them.

I know he didn't play for us but I did meet Big Jack. I was working in Newcastle and he was the guest speaker at a sportsman dinner. Afterwards, we were invited to get his autograph. I couldn't miss this opportunity and when it was my turn I thanked him what he did for us. He looked me square in the eyes and said 'Aye, they were good days they were' #legend

• Like 2
  • Love 3

One of the funniest things about meeting the players was at an open day during Big Ron's time. My nephew Lee was sat on Carlton's knee while he was signing an autograph for him..." who's your favourite player ? "  said Carlton knowingly...Lee said " Lee Chapman " me and Sam fell about laughing and Shez, who we were talking to, was weeing himself

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Graham Pugh lived in lodgings on the next block from us just off Middlewood Road. He'd regularly walk past our house to get to where he was going.

I was about nine at the time and I plucked up courage to say "Hello".

Seemed a decent bloke,always had time to say hello, but can you imagine a PL player living in B&B lodgings these days? 

Over the years, several other popular players lived quite locally to Hillsborough. Gerry Young and Johnny Quinn shared a sportswear and trophy shop at the bottom of Rockley Road. John Pearson also lived just up the road from them.

I remember going to Johnny Quinns shop when I was a kid, bang across road from where Asda is now on Middlewood Rd if memory serves me right? I used to get confused with that shop and Dave Barkers which was across road from top end of Hillsborough Park?

First Wednesday player I met was Big Kev Pressman when I was about 8/9. I was at a friends birthday party at the old Charlie Chalks just off Tankersley Roundabout, got his autograph although I was nervous as hell lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hodgyowl said:

Bob bolder, he used to pop in to the butchers i worked in sat morning and pick up his meat and drop off some free tickets, lovely bloke.

Would that be Steve's place opposite Beehive pub?

Played against Roger Wilde as a kid (Ridgeway lads v Birley I think) he scored shed loads for Birley, we didn’t score any🤣.

Before that I met John Ritchie and Jim McCalliog on Chapel Walk one day, must have been in school holidays. I would have been about 10 or 11. Long, long time ago.

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

My Mate who did a bit work on his house says Derek Dooley was the nicest bloke he has ever met in over 30 years of being a tradesman . 

Derek was the first player I ever met. My grandad spotted him in Graves Park watching a Sunday league game and took me to say hello. As a young lad I had no idea who he was until my grandad told me about his goal scoring feats and how he had lost his leg after colliding with the Preston keeper. 
All I remember is he was a big bloke, very nice, and took time to chat with my grandad and me. 
True Sheffield legend.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Can't believe I forgot about Johnny Quinn, remember my dad taking us to his shop to get some boots. Obviously I was too young to know much about him at the time, but was still starstruck that an ex Wednesday player had a shop.

1st - Siggi Jonsson. Was in his group at a school holiday sports thing at the club in the 80's. Was my favourite player at the time so it was great, although I had tonsillitis for most of it!!

Last - Martin Hodge. Had to speak to him in an 'official capacity' about his son. He was a right nob end. 

• Haha 3

apart from being a nipper getting autographs it would be two local lads in pete middleton and prendo   who were real salt of the earth  types  who'd happily spend time talking with you and in prendo's case if he knew you were going to an away game would fix us up with with some complimentary tickets .

First player I met was Orlando Trustful. My mum chauffeured for Wednesday at the time through Fulwood taxis. Got invited to his for coffee and cake. His shirt collection was amazing. Maradona, Gullit, Rijkaard, and loads more. The Maradona Napoli shirt sticks in my mind though. Very nice guy. Had the ball from the game he scored 2 in proudly on display. 

13 minutes ago, Brammy said:

1st - Siggi Jonsson. Was in his group at a school holiday sports thing at the club in the 80's. Was my favourite player at the time so it was great, although I had tonsillitis for most of it!!

Last - Martin Hodge. Had to speak to him in an 'official capacity' about his son. He was a right nob end. 

Hodge was the first I met... At a charity cricket match against Sprotborough CC... He was the captain, supposed to be a good cricketer, when he got out I was the first to get him as he trounced off, he signed my programme then refused to sign another..

At the time I asked my dad why he was so miserable, me dad said it's cos he was disappointed at getting out..

Now reading this, maybe he was just being a nob end?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Howmanyowls said:

First player I met was Orlando Trustful. My mum chauffeured for Wednesday at the time through Fulwood taxis. Got invited to his for coffee and cake. His shirt collection was amazing. Maradona, Gullit, Rijkaard, and loads more. The Maradona Napoli shirt sticks in my mind though. Very nice guy. Had the ball from the game he scored 2 in proudly on display. 

That's impressive, his shirt collection is almost as cool as his name

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Howmanyowls said:

I have mentioned this before, but no one seems as amazed as I am by it. I was on holiday reading a book about the history of the Hells Angels and when they start talking about the Dutch chapter they mention Orlando Trustful as he was friends with a kid who got into a spot of bother with the Hells Angels. I nearly spilt my beer when his name came up.

• Like 1

I met Gary Megson and Martin Hodges at the Double Barrel in Thurcroft  in 1984. Both down to Earth and likeable blokes. Megson was about to leave for Forest and l did venture to suggest that our midfield would be fcuked without him. The transfer turned out to be a disaster with Clough soon realising that Meggo could not trap a bag of cement. Hodge  had a lot to say about the spectacular progress we were making under Howard Wilkinson, and the Stella soaked audience all agreed that he was our best goalie since Springett. The other thing l remember is that he did not hold a certain Mr Stainrod in high regard, describing him as an arrogant bum. 

Sounds like you've all met a lot more players than me. Late 90s and Andy Booth would occasionally turn up at cricket matches in the Huddersfield area and wander around the outfield (he used to keep playing in the summers until Warnock stopped him), but as a kid I never actually spoke to him.

The only Wednesday player I think I've spoken to, unless I'm forgetting someone, is the legendary Carlton (Leighton) Palmer, a few years ago. Very friendly guy, lots of stories and thinks of himself as a Wednesday fan (if not a Chansiri fan!). Bought him a drink and he insisted on getting me and my wife one back. He was actually still playing in the same veterans football league I played in, but sadly the times I played his team he wasn't around so I can't say I've been kicked by him.

Can't remember the year, but was on a school trip to that there London, by train. On the way back, the players came through the carriage making there way to the dining coach. Took them ages to get through with all these young kids after their autographs. The only player I can remember was Jim McCalliog who'd scored the goal in a 1-1 draw at Southampton. I remember asking him "How did you score your goal?" Totally starstruck. Me not Jim.