FA find ex Crawley Manager not a concious racist.

"The report stated how, in his defence, Yems "categorically denied that he was in any way racist" and that he "might be viewed as an 'old school' football manager who might be 'robust and industrial' in his use of language"

This is the crux of it. He thinks being an "old school" or "straight talker" buys him a free pass, and there will be enough people that agree with him for it to perpetuate the problem. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

"The report stated how, in his defence, Yems "categorically denied that he was in any way racist" and that he "might be viewed as an 'old school' football manager who might be 'robust and industrial' in his use of language"

This is the crux of it. He thinks being an "old school" or "straight talker" buys him a free pass, and there will be enough people that agree with him for it to perpetuate the problem. 

Yep the sort that talk about free speech, wokeness and cancel culture.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beswetherick said:

More detail on what he said in the link below. Absolute disgrace of a decision from the FA. Hopefully he’ll never get a job in football again

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12789094/fa-concludes-john-yems-is-not-a-conscious-racist-despite-outlining-a-string-of-offensive-racial-remarks

Some of those quotes are incredible… Kick It Out CEO Tony Burnett makes some great points in that interview too. 

I also think how lucky this guy was, to not have his head punched in by the players he’s made those comments too. Incredible restraint. Commendable you could say.  

That's a shocking statement and decision from the fa. Misplaced jocularity? The guys a flat out racist and he should never be anywhere near a football pitch ever again. As someone said above, I'm amazed he didn't get smacked. He was in a position of power though, a player smacks a coach and he's out, probably with a reputation that prevents him going to other clubs. How the fa have come to this decision really worries me tbh. Who the hell is on the panel? 

The FA didn’t make the decision, it was decided by an independent panel which consisted of a lawyer who was appointed to the bar in 1968, Tony Agana and Wolves’ club secretary.

Yems has been on talksport this morning along with a guy from (I believe) Kick it Out who rightly said that in this day and age we are all one slip of the tongue away from saying something that could destroy their career, but if we accept and understand an error we can redeemable.

Yems obviously ignored warnings and totally crossed the line to which he hasn’t offered an apology. He grew up in another era, but that’s no excuse. My old man is five years old than him and has managed people Black people, people from India, Poland and various other places around the world. Not once would he let someone’s colour or creed influence the way in which company decisions were made. 

Id fully expect the FA to push back against the independent review. 

Means he is just as likely to jump in and defend someone from it as dish it out or be best pals with them. He doesn't have a deep seated dislike of any group but will use the first thing to hand (usually nationality or skin colour) to lazily form banter.