Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I’ve watched the Pompey goals a few times now and whilst he was slow to react to their first, it wasn’t a catastrophic error. Despite me initially blaming him for the second, I think I was being harsh. Nothing he could do about the third. His performance certainly wasn’t the horrendous one some on here have been having a meltdown about. I suggest people watch the goals again.

Lets support Stockdale, the same keeper who kept the most clean sheets in this division last season.

VERY.

End of thread. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat

I missed the third goal but didn’t blame him for the first two. So yes we are being unfair. But conceding 3 on your home debut is not what he would have wanted. There were way more other things to worry about tactically yesterday. The first header in particular was pinpoint and fizz gave the ball away for the second . Both could have been defended before they got anywhere near Stockdale.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chow said:

No, it’s his job to organise the defence in front of him. Even more so when he not coming to catch the ball from set pieces. 

But we didn't concede from set pieces.

30 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Yea but the scapegoat vultures are out, after one game!!! Majority of them are also vocal in their dislike of the manager.

It's not one game though is it? This is Moores failure to address the defensive issues the buck stops with him. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

I missed the third goal but didn’t blame him for the first two. 

23 minutes ago, megsonstheman said:

Stockdale has to do better with the first 2 goals.

Isn't it fascinating how two people can see the exact same thing but come up with two absolute opposite opinions!

That's football I guess and long may it continue!

Owlstalk Shop

The primary fault for all the goals was with the defence overall but, in my view, he should have done much better in the first two. If Dawson had put that performance in, he’d have been criticised even more. But it was one game.

My concern about Stockdale is that he isn’t agile enough and doesn’t command his area. At 36 he’s not going to improve on these issues I fear.

Has DM said why the no.1 squad number hasn’t been used?

2 hours ago, vulva said:

No player is immune from criticism. Players like Bothroyd absolutely deserve it.

That said, the lad has played 1 game. In front of a new back 3 that were very suspect. And for at least 2 of those goals he had no chance. 

Cut him some slack. It’s a long season. He will play a major part. And before people start shouting for Dawson to come back, let’s not forget the abuse he got on here when he was playing. 

His positioning is even worse than I thought.lol

3 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

Well he's had anything but a confident start at S6 ... overweight and stuck to his line.

If it is a fair fight for keeper then Dawson deserves a go.

My theory before yesterday was Stockdale was brought in to make Dawson look good.

All those Dawson haters out there will eventually beg for Dawsons return.

I'm sure Dawson will probably learn a thing from Stockdale along the way.

(SWFC Conspiracy theory 1043)

2 hours ago, Mr. Chow said:

No, it’s his job to organise the defence in front of him. Even more so when he not coming to catch the ball from set pieces. 

I agree to some point, but whilst it’s the keepers job to do a bit of local organisation during a game, it’s the manager’s job to lay down the ground rules & set out how the team / defence works. 

Different defence, different keeper, same result.

Work out the common denominator. Conclusions on a post card.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Lofra lost his man for the last two. The whole of the defence is new and will take time to settle in. Think he will be good for us

Let’s hope so. They were terrible for the goals. After the third went in they were arguing about whose man the striker was. The striker was between the two of them and completely unchallenged. I’ve only seen the highlights, were they zone marking (or trying to)? For the goals it wasn’t obvious that anyone was taking responsibility for a man….

Edited by jamthesun
  • Like 1

A lot of people deciding where to apportion blame (among the players) and some saying a new defensive line up will take time to gel.

The mistakes from yesterday (and I’ve watched their goals through about twenty times) were a re run of every abysmal defensive error from last year. Looked like the defence were playing a fuc** n diamond formation at times. 😅

It’s history repeating itself. 

Average / decent players, badly coached by a ‘coach’ out of his depth off the pitch and who gets out thought on the pitch.

Alex Neill, Paul Warne, Gareth Ainsworth just three of many who have exposed the limited mental agility of our man.

Absolutely no point in crucifying players, who look lost and crying out for leadership and simple organisation.

Just watching a similar example of Coventry breaking in a similar position to any of our three goals conceded. Sunderland back four knew exactly what their roles were, closed them down, covered the spaces and forced Coventry back. 

Properly coached, properly executed.

Regardless of how this game pans out. The example of this one repelled attack is a stark example of how far off the mark we are, and when I say ‘we’, I mean our manager.

Also in his ‘interview’ he failed to mention the defensive mistakes once. 

In denial!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1