Next signing almost over the line....Happy about this?

On 24/06/2022 at 19:35, TrickyTrev said:

A good signing but that’s now Wilks, Gregory, Smith, Windass and Paterson up front.

We won’t be playing him out wide as we play wingbacks and it’s starting to feel like we have one too many forwards.

I’m not moaning as he is a good signing but it feels a little bit like when we signed Winnall but then went and got Rhodes anyway as well.

I really don’t want to come across as negative as he is a good signing but I just feel like with so many strikers, there’ll be a lot of chopping and changing up front and it’ll not allow the continuity for a partnership to form over time.

Understandable concern Trev and we know that Big Dave likes to chop and change.

That being said - it is refreshing to see a young player being signed with his best years hopefully infront of him as opposed to the likes of NML.

Gregory is approaching 34, Windass in the final year of his contract and seemingly forever injured, Patterson heading into the final year of his deal and the new lad Smith is heading the wrong side of 30 too.

Good to see the club looking looking ahead of the next 12 months.

Also provides Moore with the options to do something different should he need to move away from the 352 for example. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Good strikers like scoring goals.

They want both the minutes and conditions to score those goals.

I can't see all 4 competing for a couple of spots, when they are all good enough to be the main man in a different team in this league.

Windass and Wilks still have other contracts after this so will want to raise their stock back to Championship level at least and that takes minutes.

Smith and Gregory, although probably set for now, will still both want to be playing and scoring as much as possible.

Why be on rotation here when you can be the main man somewhere else?

It's that simple.

Well I’m going respectfully full hearted disagree with your opinion 

Good players want to play in good squads and want to have success 

Generally squads with the best players and depth are most successful this is the case at every level 

we once had a squad consisting of Gary Hooper, fernando forestieri big attey and joao. It didn’t stop us signing Sam Winall and the Jordan Rhodes, Steven Fletcher 

good players want to be successful and most players back themselves and certainly understand their contribution a lot more than what you think they do 

I’ll bet my mortgage Gregory and windass are here come the start of the season even if wilks and another person joins 

4 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Well I’m going respectfully full hearted disagree with your opinion 

Good players want to play in good squads and want to have success 

Generally squads with the best players and depth are most successful this is the case at every level 

we once had a squad consisting of Gary Hooper, fernando forestieri big attey and joao. It didn’t stop us signing Sam Winall and the Jordan Rhodes, Steven Fletcher 

good players want to be successful and most players back themselves and certainly understand their contribution a lot more than what you think they do 

I’ll bet my mortgage Gregory and windass are here come the start of the season even if wilks and another person joins 

If they all stay, it's all good. 

Just hope DM can manage it well.

As for the 7 strikers at once, seem to remember it failed to get us up, and completely screwed us in the long run.

Not the best example, to be fair.

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If they all stay, it's all good. 

Just hope DM can manage it well.

As for the 7 strikers at once, seem to remember it failed to get us up, and completely screwed us in the long run.

Not the best example, to be fair.

I wasn’t giving you an example of success I was giving you an example of players playing for a club wanting success and being happy with it

I’m starting  to think I’m talking to a 12 year old now 

does every thing need breaking down in simple terms for you? 

• Haha 1

The delay might be due to them wanting to bring in a forward or at least have strong agreement to do so before they let him go. They’ve lost Eaves to Rovrum and loaned out another forward. I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that they need some in before any more go out.