Next signing almost over the line....Happy about this?

I can't believe people are moaning about us having 4 quality strikers for the first time in 5 years. I remember when, at this level, our strikeforce was an overweight, injury-prone Adam Proudlock, an old Mark Robins, Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu, and bloody Kim Olsen.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2022 at 19:35, TrickyTrev said:

A good signing but that’s now Wilks, Gregory, Smith, Windass and Paterson up front.

We won’t be playing him out wide as we play wingbacks and it’s starting to feel like we have one too many forwards.

I’m not moaning as he is a good signing but it feels a little bit like when we signed Winnall but then went and got Rhodes anyway as well.

I really don’t want to come across as negative as he is a good signing but I just feel like with so many strikers, there’ll be a lot of chopping and changing up front and it’ll not allow the continuity for a partnership to form over time.

I think the winnal thing was daft of us, we had more than enough cover at that stage.  I think this hopefully makes more sense. 

I guess of them only Windass and wilks are pacey. 

Paterson will no doubt be used elsewhere on pitch or be backup should we get the injury curse. 

With papa John's we could be playing close to 50 plus games this year so good to have sone depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

But if we don't need him as a utility player, why not give him a pop at a fixed position.

If anyone has earned a place, it's him.

That’s pretty much what I’m trying to say. Use him at CB as his fixed position but with flexibility that if injuries etc mean we need a utility player at some point then change it then. We might get lucky and be injury free this year 🤞

Just now, CircleSeven said:

That’s pretty much what I’m trying to say. Use him at CB as his fixed position but with flexibility that if injuries etc mean we need a utility player at some point then change it then. We might get lucky and be injury free this year 🤞

He'd be better at RB/RWB.

He'll never not track back, has a decent cross, be a handful at both ends.

Also, just think of him running onto those sweet sweet Johnson back post crosses.

I think Moore has done particularly well when it comes to recruiting forward players. Gregory and Berahino did well last season and Kamberi and Sow contributed. If we had recruited as well the season before last we might not have been relegated from the championship?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think Moore has done particularly well when it comes to recruiting forward players. Gregory and Berahino did well last season and Kamberi and Sow contributed. If we had recruited as well the season before last we might not have been relegated from the championship?

If whoever recruited Kamberi had seen him play more than once they need sacking. 

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hard to recruit when your under embargoes. Moore has been really well backed by DC and significantly better than his predecessors enjoyed when our financial position was at it's worst.

13 minutes ago, sage owl said:

If whoever recruited Kamberi had seen him play more than once they need sacking. 

He wasn’t fantastic, granted but he did ok. He didn’t really play much in the second half of the season as Berahino came more to the fore. Had he done he might’ve hit double figures but I can’t be ar$ed to argue about it as I know the OT jury has already given their verdict on him 🤣

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Hard to recruit when your under embargoes. Moore has been really well backed by DC and significantly better than his predecessors enjoyed when our financial position was at it's worst.

Weren’t we under restrictions last season as well?

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

He wasn’t fantastic, granted but he did ok. He didn’t really play much in the second half of the season as Berahino came more to the fore. Had he done he might’ve hit double figures but I can’t be ar$ed to argue about it as I know the OT jury has already given their verdict on him 🤣

So has the manager 

• Love 1

It concerns me the talk of playing different systems necf season... His chopping and changing caused us problems in a very poor league..... If he had not done that we would have already been up now.

Should now be focused just on bringing in better players to strengthen the squad and working out EARLY how to get ghe best out of them.

This time last season I wasn't overly impressed as we didn't get players of quality up front until late on and then only Gregory. However she I started to see ghe awful level it was and how very bad the teams were..... we messed ourselves up chopping and changing far too much, focusing on the opposition and not creating our own identity. In a league so poor we should have been taking the game to them and building confidence. Instead they looked clueless at times and struggled for the first half of the season. 

We therefore didn't gel until after Christmas. A big issue now is with a load more layers coming in again CAN he do differently or get sacked...... I think that's the main issue. We had good enough squad it turned out but he messed things up for himself...... let's hope he learns from last season..... or Chansiri doesn't wait too long if not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

He'd be better at RB/RWB.

He'll never not track back, has a decent cross, be a handful at both ends.

Also, just think of him running onto those sweet sweet Johnson back post crosses.

I can see what you mean but I can’t see DM not utilising Hunt. With the way we play with the CBs often pushing up and carrying the ball forward I would like to see what Paterson was capable of given a regular slot. 

23 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Not to the same degree. The restrictions were considerably eased.  Moore had excellent backing last summer. 

Still spent less than Monk who splashed the best part of £1M on Windass and Paterson.

20 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I can see what you mean but I can’t see DM not utilising Hunt. With the way we play with the CBs often pushing up and carrying the ball forward I would like to see what Paterson was capable of given a regular slot. 

Hunt sort of only played by default.

Replaced by Palmer, Palmer needed back at CB, Hunt in.

Replaced by Pato, Pato needed at CF, Hunt in.

Replaced by NML, NML needed at CF, Hunt in.

DM has tried to replace him numerous times this season, but his replacements were all needed more elsewhere. If we have adequate cover, I can't see him playing much.

2 goals and 6 assists in 37 games from what is supposed to be one of our main attacking routes isn't good enough. Everyone else we played at WB had a much better per game return.

46 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

It concerns me the talk of playing different systems necf season... His chopping and changing caused us problems in a very poor league..... If he had not done that we would have already been up now.

Should now be focused just on bringing in better players to strengthen the squad and working out EARLY how to get ghe best out of them.

This time last season I wasn't overly impressed as we didn't get players of quality up front until late on and then only Gregory. However she I started to see ghe awful level it was and how very bad the teams were..... we messed ourselves up chopping and changing far too much, focusing on the opposition and not creating our own identity. In a league so poor we should have been taking the game to them and building confidence. Instead they looked clueless at times and struggled for the first half of the season. 

We therefore didn't gel until after Christmas. A big issue now is with a load more layers coming in again CAN he do differently or get sacked...... I think that's the main issue. We had good enough squad it turned out but he messed things up for himself...... let's hope he learns from last season..... or Chansiri doesn't wait too long if not.

At the beginning I don’t think we knew what we wanted to do or how to play and we lost arguable three of our best players going into the season or very early on in windass, luongo and iorfa that must have been a back to the drawing board moment 

we then kept losing players and it was a patching up excersize from then on 

second half of the season players started to come back we got a couple of additional loans in to help stabilise the team and how we played and by the most part everything seemed to be slotting into play 

there were still obvious flaws though I think Wimbledon abs Accrington at home even Wycombe away I seem to remember them nullifying our tactics completely missing out our midfield, parking the bus, going long, and being physical. We had no plan B for this and nobody to turn to to make us more effective. We ultimately dropped points 

the upcoming season with this 5 sub rule. A lot of teams will have the ability to change formations more because they will have the players in the matchday squad to do so. And this is going to change the tactics of football now. How many times do you see a team hanging on at the end or pushing for the goal? 

how many times do you see a team come out in the second half after a few tweaks and play differently?

it’s going to happen more frequently now and we simply have to be in the best position if somethings not working to change things and formations to keep us on the front foot or get us on top 

So I don’t think we are particularly going to be chopping and changing everygame different formations but as teams counter our tactics or we see different ways to exploit them then I think that’s where the flexibility to change formation will work 

you imagine too a lot of teams will tactically set up to play against us and stop us and that’s much harder when we’ve got 3/4 different options to play  

19 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Hunt sort of only played by default.

Replaced by Palmer, Palmer needed back at CB, Hunt in.

Replaced by Pato, Pato needed at CF, Hunt in.

Replaced by NML, NML needed at CF, Hunt in.

DM has tried to replace him numerous times this season, but his replacements were all needed more elsewhere. If we have adequate cover, I can't see him playing much.

2 goals and 6 assists in 37 games from what is supposed to be one of our main attacking routes isn't good enough. Everyone else we played at WB had a much better per game return.

I guess we will see soon enough who DM fancies as starting right wing back. Personally I think it will be Hunt, mainly because if DM wasn’t going to utilise him regularly I don’t think we’d have extended his deal. But I’ve been wrong before, and undoubtedly will be again! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jim said:

Still spent less than Monk who splashed the best part of £1M on Windass and Paterson.

Over their tenures Moore has enjoyed far more favourable working conditions than Moore most pointedly last summer and this so far.

Incidentally the two players you mentioned were budget signings given the higher league we were in. One of which we turned down a double your money offer recently. 

On the other hand; Kamberi gone, Berahino gone and we're looking apparently to unload Sow. 

For the record, I'm overall happy with Moore but given your persistent rantings against Monk I think its a bit rich you getting prickly at other fans' significantly milder criticisms of Moore.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Absolutely.

Hunt is massively overrated compared to his contribution.

I’m going to stick my neck out on this one and say I don’t think Darren Moore will see it that way 

Hunt will be one of the first people on the team sheet again next year, dropped for early round cup games and maybe the odd game to stop fatigue 

but generally if he’s fit and available he will have a starting shirt 

• Like 1